Interview - Raphaello (Director of Unchained (2021))


An accomplished multi-talented writer, director, and editor among numerous other roles, Raphaello has managed to accomplish numerous in most aspects of filmmaking over his career. Now, in honor of his newest film Unchained being released on VOD and DVD, I talk with him about his early career in the industry, the making of the film, and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to go into directing?
Raphaello: Firstly, thank you Don for having me! I think it was a simple need to tell stories. At the end of the day, regardless of film type, it's about telling a good tale. Coming from a theater background, I feel a tremendous sense of the primal need to tell stories. Stories to educate, inspire and entertain. 

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Raphaello: Genre films were big for me growing up. One of the great strengths of genre films has always been simple stories told well. This struck a chord with me growing up. Genre films are the ones we remember, the ones that travel the globe in any language. Rarely are they given the nod from the critics. The people love them and that’s all that matters. Musically, I would rather listen to KISS or IRON MAIDEN than whatever flavor of the month’s darling. That’s why those bands endure and the ‘critics choice’ disappear. It’s the same with films. We remember films like Ghostbusters, The Goonies, or Gremlins yet we can’t remember who won the Oscars the year before. In terms of horror, Coppola’s Dracula, Alien, Predator, and the original Wicker Man had a big effect on me as a child. 

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
Raphaello: Directing is by far my favorite. However, I feel a good director should have extensive knowledge of the multiple facets of filmmaking. They should know about editing, cinematography, acting, producing, and advances in technology. That way they know what is possible. I am not a ‘fix it in post’ person. I am a ‘let's do this and have fun’ guy.

Me: With several short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film-projects?
Raphaello: I think most of it is a proving ground. If you have never made a film of any kind, you would assume a short would be easy. However, I have seen productions crumble on simple shoots because people are simply not prepared for what it takes to get something done. Doing shorts is where you can find out if you can do it. You learn what works and what doesn’t.  Another thing is being efficient with what you have. So many people worry about not having the ‘best’ or ‘perfect’ stuff. Perfect is the enemy of finished. Getting stuff done is the single most important thing if you want to actually work in this industry.

Me: What type of influences have you gathered so far to help you find your own voice?
Raphaello: Everything influences me. Good and bad. The way water trickles off a leaf, the sound of distant thunder, light reflected through a window. The world is my influence. Family and friends influence me to be a better person. My voice is an amalgam of my experiences. Sounds corny but it's true. I continue to grow and be amazed at the vast rich universe we live in.

Me: When writing a new project, what's the one fall back tactic that you're always able to draw inspiration from?
Raphaello: Listening to the right music allows puts me in the right frame of mind. It will get me through anything. The last horror script I wrote, I listened to Philip Glass’s Candyman score to get started. For UNCHAINED, I was fortunate enough to have some of the preliminary score written by the wonderful Alexander Kotziamanis. His music helped me put the movie together effortlessly.


Me: That brings us to your latest project, "Unchained." What can you tell us about the film?
Raphaello: The film is about a woman who is kidnapped and forced to compete in an underground fight ring for the amusement of a malevolent benefactor. It’s your timeless girl-meets-boy-with-baseball-bat tale. 

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
Raphaello: I would love to say there is an incredible backstory prior to making the film but the truth is we sat in Aroma CafĂ© on Sunset Blvd (which is incidentally one of the locations in the film) and just decided to make it. I think we all wanted to do ‘something’ and it was fortunate that I was with the right people at the right time to make it happen. I have to give a huge amount of thanks to my producers Ilia Constantine, Tatiana Rusakova, and John Bryan for believing in me and putting everything together.

Me: With a cast of experienced and talented indie actors, how'd you settle on the cast getting involved in the film?
Raphaello: Mair was the first to come on board. She was very highly recommended and I instantly saw why. Without her tireless dedication, we would not have finished the film. The role of Warden Georgia was perfect for Larry Andrews. The role fit him like a glove and you can feel the malice in every scene he is in.

I first saw Taya in Lucha Underground and was blown away by her presence. She looked like she could kick anyone’s ass and look good doing it. I actually had her in mind while I was putting together the script but I never thought we could get her. Luckily she said yes as I have no idea who would have been able to do it better. She is a true rising star in professional wrestling. She has been a champion everywhere she has worked and now she is in WWE (as Franky Monet). A future WWE champion and future Hall of Famer.

Speaking of Hall of Fame, three-time inductee Rock Riddle is another great within the wrestling community. I am so honored that the original Mr. Wonderful was able to elevate our movie with his performance skills. “The Referee will be NOBODY!” – Love that line and he came up with it on the spot.

Last but by no means least, is screen-icon Eric Roberts. I never believed I could get an Academy Award-nominated actor in my little movie. I was so honored to have been in his presence and watch a master at work. I remember we all thought that he was so good, we need to up our game to match.

I am humbled to be working with these great people. I thank them for everything.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the challenging type of film being made?
Raphaello: We had a blast filming. I tend to be very quick and efficient when shooting to maximize the time we have on location. I think everyone appreciated that we never ran overtime. A happy set is a productive set. I pride myself on always finishing on time and within budget.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
Raphaello: Honestly, this was one of the least problematic shoots I have been on. I anticipate drama at every turn but it did not happen here. Although nothing specifically funny happened, we did have a lot of laughs while shooting. As I said before, happy sets are productive sets. 

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? Thank you again for your time!
Raphaello: I am actually working on a few projects right now. We already have another feature film ‘The Year of Laughing Dangerously’ completed which should see a release soon. We are commencing work on another feature in the next couple of months so watch this space! People can see more on my Instagram @DirectorRaphaello. I thank you Don for this opportunity!

Comments