Interview: Areel Abu Bakar (Director of Silat Warriors: Deed of Death (2021))


One of the more enjoyable debuts found in the genre in recent years, Malayasian director Areel Abu Bakar has gotten his career off to a nice start with the hard-hitting martial arts effort Silat Warriors: Deed of Death. Now, in honor of the film's release from WellGo USA on Blu-Ray, DVD, and digital streaming services, I talk with him about the early concept of the film, the filming that took place, and what he hopes to achieve with the film.


Me: Hello, and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, what can you tell us about your new film "Silat Warriors: Deed of Death?"
Areel Abu Bakar: This is an action movie introducing our unique martial arts from Malaysia.

However, this is an indie movie, so although it's not "fair" to compare it with other big-budget movies, this movie also evokes a high adrenaline rush response like action scenes in other movies. Silat Warriors is our "firstborn" and achieved unexpected success for us. Of course, I’m very surprised and honored, and I look forward to making more films that even surpass what we were able to do for Silat Warriors, which was also awarded the Daniel A. Craft Award from the 2020 New York Asian Film Festival for Excellence in Action Cinema.

Me: How did the concept for the film come together? How much involvement did you have with the pre-production of the film?
AAB: The concept is related to current issues, and at the same time, I wanted to introduce our culture from Malaysia to audiences around the world. It is also to tell the international audience that Malaysia has Silat, as well as good action movies with a different "flavor" compared to other countries.

I spent 3 years in pre-production from recce, script development, casting, and search for funds, but in the end, we didn't get the desired results. So, I decided to move forward with a sort of "guerrilla" style of filmmaking. We made do with what we had and went through some hardships, but I still made sure I got what I envisioned as much as possible, even if it couldn't fully live up to everything I had imagined due to budgetary constraints. 

Me: Given this being your first time as a filmmaker, what influences did you have to help flesh out the film?
AAB: My influences to flesh out the film were mainly my driving mission & vision, which were to make this a uniquely Malaysian action movie. I’m also passionate about doing something new in the future, even bigger and better than Silat Warriors. This is our first step to go even further in the future for upcoming feature films. I am in very high spirits when working alongside a great team that pitches in to realize this vision together.


Me: How did you settle on the cast for the film? What did they bring to help you complete your vision?
AAB: Actually, I consider everyone on the cast to be my friends. They provide full support and commitment to realize our vision of making a martial arts movie and present the Silat art form from Malaysia to the rest of the world.

The film and its influence is now "traveling" across the world, & I hope it is relevant and compelling to the audiences interested in learning about other cultures.

Me: How did the cast react to being on a film set and making this kind of film?
AAB: They all provided full support and commitment, and put in their time to do the "homework" for their character.

All the fighters trained hard and gave some great ideas to enhance the impact of the action scenes.

I’m very lucky, because 90% of my cast members are actually Silat fighters, and we actually didn't use professional stuntpeople at all. ☺️💪

So the result was less camera tricks were needed to impress the audiences and all the action scenes feature direct body contact and no stunt doubles. I will improvise for the next movie.

Me: Lastly, what are you most looking forward to audiences discovering about the film with its release from WellGo USA? Thank you again for your time!
AAB: I hope all the audiences enjoy this film with an open heart and mind without comparing it to other films, as this is a special project from us that is unique compared to other Malaysian films.

I also hope the audiences will spread the love and get a good message from the film, specifically to please love your family & friends and protect what is yours.

Thank You 🙏🏻

Comments