WiHM Special - Mary Genevieve Fortier


An accomplished writer and author to the point of being appropriately nicknamed "The Modern Day Poe," Mary Genevieve Fortier is working on establishing her career with various mediums to practice her craft. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in writing, the process of how she crafts her stories and upcoming plans.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching Horror Movies?
Mary Genevieve Fortier: I honestly don’t remember a time when “Horror” wasn’t ever-present in my life. Growing up, scary movies were a family pastime. Every Friday night in Chicago, we had “Creature Feature”- a television show that presented the classic black and white films that gave us all the chills that thrill. Films like the original “Dracula” with Bela Lugosi, “Frankenstein” with Boris Karloff and who could forget "The Mummy!" Of course, as the times, cinematography and black and white televisions changed, we gathered to watch “Night of the Living Dead,” “Beyond the Door,” “Trilogy of Terror,” “The Haunting” and anything with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Later still, a Chicago-based show called “Svengoolie” played horror-themed movies with a witty commentator. The list goes on.

Movies were but a fragment of the role “Horror” played in my early life. I was an early reader. My Mom allowed me to read anything she did first-It had to pass “acceptable” as far as appropriate for my level of understanding. You know what I mean, nothing that was littered with blatant sex. I read the Exorcist at the ripe age of ten! No, it didn’t warp my brain! LOL… well, maybe … (stifling a cackle) When it was released in theaters, my Mom took me to see it – with the promise that I would keep in mind that it was “only” a movie. I’ll never forget that voice! OH! The creep factor doesn’t get any better!

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
MGF: Books, books and more books! My Mom was an avid reader and I followed in her footsteps. There was seldom a time I wasn’t found with a book in hand. EVERY book was Horror themed. Well, with several poetry (from Kipling, Frost, Poe to Gibran and Shakespeare) Philosophical (Zen, Taoism, Casey to Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh)- again all before and within my early teens. My older brother was a great influence when it came to a deeper knowledge and my thirst for the discovery of a higher self.   As far as Horror specifically, again there is an endless list of authors who penned the types of “Horror” that caused the hairs upon my neck to raise. Those books that you simply could not put down! King was KING! He published one after another. Dean Koontz never failed the fear factor, nor did Saul, Matheson or Laymon. Later, Douglas Clegg, Bentley Little, Scott Nicholson, Dan Simmons, Michael Laimo… But the classics… every Horror lover can’t overlook Poe, Shelly, Shirley Jackson, Lovecraft.. sheesh! I’ll be here all night! As I said, an avid reader. I am, however, a sucker for a great fictional story of the “creepy haunted house”!

As far as any author becoming an influence on my own written voice, I have to say no. Although the more you read, the more polished you become as a writer, I can’t say that I emulate or seek to emulate another. I admire, yes. I have, however, been deemed “The Modern Day Poe.” That is an incredible compliment, an accolade of the greatest honour- but I have never set my pen upon a parchment with the thought of a style of another. In fact, when I begin to write, it truly is without conscious thought.

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
MGF: Reading beautiful literature was inspirational! I was drawn by the rhythm of words…  Entranced by the language of Shakespeare. I began writing traditional poetry at 7. I was first published at 9 and was an award-winning writer at 11. Writing was an outlet. An escape. Words move me. They did back then as they still do to this day. They are moving rhythmically all the time. I see them as entities in and of themselves. They are “alive”- at least “in me.”

To answer simplistically is difficult- but the starting point was the first time I had to write – period. Whether an essay, a book report- it was there- that rhythm.

Always into writing? Yes! As I said, it was my outlet- my escape- my deeply inner voice. 

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
MGF: There are actually two. One takes place during my waking moments. I will elaborate further…
    If say there is a Submission Call, there is for the most part a theme for which I am to create. Now, I don’t simply sit at a computer or gather pen and paper and start jotting down ideas, lines and the like. A day, a week, perhaps immediately, I can never be sure, but a word or an object, a picture/painting, a single musical note, a breeze pushing a lone leaf across the lawn- something literally causes a “shift” in my brain- an honest to goodness shift. I feel that movement in my head. I can’t explain it any clearer than that. Once that shift occurs, ere goes that flow of words that fall into place without hesitation. When the poem has been completed, I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted. My feet barely feel the floor beneath them as I sit.

    Now, as for the second process; it begins while I am asleep. I become haunted. Yes, haunted by words- awakening me in the dead of night (no pun intended). These words did from the beginning and still do to this day, awaken me in perfect succession… sentence after sentence. I hear them, see them- taste them… I must hurry and grab my pen and write on whatever is available; my hand, the bedsheet. If I speak, hear another, utter any sound, or simply turn on a light, all is lost. The connection if you will, is broken. I sometimes think the poem is finished and start to go back to sleep, only to be jolted awake once more by more words. If I fail to get up and write it all down, I’ll never remember a single word the following day. If I don’t move fast enough, a sentence or an entire stanza could be missing, unretrievable - at least as perfect as I heard/saw it but moments ago. It can be maddening!

There is but one necessary element that I cannot write without. Seriously, it will drive me insane! I must have a broad point pen (the broader the better) and it must contain ONLY black ink. Not a Gel Pen- NO! Not a fine point! UGH! That feels like sandpaper beneath my fingers! Why the broad point? It is the feel… When the pen touches the paper it will glide, much like the words that pour through the instrument. It is part of that connection. The words seem to flow along with that gliding pen, like a piece of my soul being released. Why black ink? I truly can’t answer that. Nothing else will do. I’ve tried. If I begin to write anything- ANYTHING in blue ink, I immediately throw the pen away from me as if it were contaminated. Same, if it is anything other than a broad point pen. I can’t write on a computer. I need that connection of mind, pen to paper.

Staying focused? SILENCE- ABSOLUTE, UNEQUIVOCAL SILENCE.

Me: Having contributed to various anthologies early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future projects?
MGF: Considering the fact that I began writing and publishing “Traditional Poetry,” at a very young age, my skill set has grown because I myself have grown as an individual. The biggest change/growth I’d have to say is the progression from poetry written from a deep philosophical, emotional and almost ethereal consciousness to writing Horror. The acquired skill to submit to anthologies is following guidelines. I feel that I have somewhat altered the fixed and constricting guidelines publishers originally accepted for poets. It was quite unfair and within some submission guidelines, it still remains so. It used to be quite limited to either “X” amount of lines, stanzas or words. Once I began submitting Horror Poetry, I queried the possibility of the acceptance of exceeding those limitations (well beyond) due to my poetry being narrative; much like a story in poetic form. No one else was writing poetry this way- so once submitted, I was being accepted. The more my work was out there, the word count went up. Now, publishers I frequently submit to, have no restrictions and never alter my work. My average word count is anywhere from the upper hundreds to well beyond a thousand. I feel that poetry should be given the same respect as any short story. If well written and space is allowed for a certain number of pieces, it shouldn’t matter if it is in either format. In my personal experience, there have been calls that did not accept poetry. I queried anyway to be accepted as the only poem existent in the anthology and a few times, given the honor of opening the anthology.

Me: What is the general process for getting involved in these projects?
MGF: Many times I am invited to contribute. If so, believing in its success is the first step. Knowing I will enjoy writing the theme required and being involved with the other authors, follow suit. If it is a Submission Call, the same applies- the only difference is looking into all aspects; the publisher, the theme, the requirements and does it feel right. Will I fit? I have been extremely fortunate. I have yet to receive a rejection. Despite that, I am always uncertain if my work is good enough. This drives me. I am forever in competition with myself. If I write in my waking hours, and I find that I am repeating a word, it’s as though I’ve “hiccupped.” My hand crosses it out backward and another word automatically takes its place. How? I never question- I simply write.

Me: How did you settle on the Poetry included in your collection, “Verses From a Deeply Darkened Mind”?
MGF: I chose pieces that I knew were respected by my peers. I selected pieces that spoke true to the title. My work is very dark, yes. It may be disturbing to many. To me, despite the content, the words must carry a beauty. I never want to compromise the integrity that is poetry. The language and the cadence are crucial in achieving this. Poetry should move you- no matter the subject- the projection of words is meant to instill thought and heighten your emotions, which is far different from a story. A story pulls you in and holds you. My poetry has both elements. Putting them in order was a whole other animal. They had to flow one from the other as smoothly as a stanza to another.

Me: Was there any special significance to creating stories written in poetic form?
MGF: No. It was quite natural. When you think of Horror and all the aspects therein, it’s very descriptive. When writing a story, an author must project a clear picture- one in which the reader can see unfolding before their eyes. I’m a Poet. Poetry is much the same. Therefore, when writing a Horror Poem, the flow is natural to paint that picture as a story playing out. No one wrote poetry as I- at least not in modern times. That love of olde world poetry/the beauty of its language gave me that natural voice.

Me: Once it was finally written, what was the process of having it published?
MGF: My publisher JWK Fiction, had been waiting forever for me to compile a book of my own. When I told him it was in the works, he was ready. I needed a few illustrations and knowing quite a few artists personally, it was a matter of requesting their help. So many incredibly talented artists contributed. I worked with them on a prior project (a book I’d compiled and edited “Toys in the Attic: A Collection of Evil Playthings”) and was so fortunate that these dear friends would create such beauty for my book. Believe it or not, I actually won the cover art in a caption contest on an artist’s page. I described what I envisioned and she captured it perfectly. I couldn’t be more pleased. The book is a labour of love in many ways. The book has been well received with all Five Star Reviews. It has been reviewed by many notables such as “FEAR Magazine.” I have received many wonderful accolades, all of which I am greatly humbled.

Me: As well, you’re also involved with the “Terror Train Anthology Podcast.” How did you get involved with the show? What do you do for the show? What are some of your more memorable or unique experiences that working on the show has afforded you?
MGF: Terror Train began as an Anthology published by JWK Fiction. It was the Imprint of Krista Clark Grabowski and A. Henry Keene. I submitted a poem, “Midnight Train,” which won “The Editor’s Choice Award.” Krista had the idea to put together a podcast consisting of the entire collection of stories in the anthology. She wanted the podcast to be reminiscent of an “Olde Tyme” radio show.” She posted a query on Facebook in search of someone who could read theatrically. Well, I thought immediately of my husband, (David Schutz II) who is a former Shakespearian Actor. I contacted Krista and she agreed to hire him on. I wrote the opening and closing poems for the Podcast- which was read for each episode. How I became involved beyond this was quite by accident. My husband was reading the opening and as he did so, I creepily repeated in a whisper, every few lines. At the end of the initial recording, (one take) I walked away laughing maniacally. It was at that moment, “Terror” the disembodied voice of Terror Train was born. I wrote all the dialogue, introducing each author with a hair-raising twist. My Husband read each story as the “Conductor” and I was the Ghost Host- “Terror.” He called me “The One Take Wonder” because I never had to re-record a single word. (LOL) We had such fun, despite the amount of work that went into the reading, recording and writing. But it was worth it! There was a sequel to the anthology and we want to continue the trek. We also have other projects we’d love to begin. Not long before the release of my personal collection, “Verses From a Deeply Darkened Mind,” I compiled and edited “Toys in the Attic: A Collection of Evil Playthings” (JWK Fiction)- which I would love to create a horror podcast incorporating the stories and poems within that tome!  I’ve done a great deal of Audio Acting and Narration of works by various authors, as well as Audio Productions (found on our YouTube Channel, Fortier-Schutz/Wooden Box MediaWorks and Viktor Aurelius’ All Better Audio/The 4077th Productions) and I, plan on becoming a Narrator for Audio Books. To get the ball rolling in that direction, I’ve been requested by JWK to narrate all the books published by JWK Fiction and I can’t wait to get moving on that.

Me: As well, you’re responsible for the creation of “Nighty Nightmare,” based off a previously written column of your work. Where did the inspiration for this come from? What kind of preparation goes into creating this?
MGF: Nighty Nightmare was originally created for a column on the website, “Staying Scared.” (This was quite sometime before “Terror Train.”)  It all began when a friend of mine was starting a new website and invited me to contribute as a columnist. Asking me to first choose a character name, he then gave me free rein over my column’s content (as long as it consisted of something Horror related). There you go! Nighty Nightmare was born! I wanted Nighty to be different. She had to be informative, witty AND creepy. Nighty discusses the origins of anything eerie, ghostly and sometimes downright disturbing- from hearses and cemeteries to the origin of “Horror” itself.

Nighty has a realm and minions and loves to scare- but she does so with a twist. I don’t want to divulge too much, lest your curiosity will be quelled. You must pay her a visit. She loves the company. (smiles deviously..)

After the publication of many columns and Nighty gained a following, I began assisting the late Viktor Aurelius (a dear friend) with his podcast, “Whispers in the Dark.” One day, I asked if he’d like to interview “Staying Scared” and he was thrilled with the idea. Knowing me and my work, he asked about a reading of one of my columns. THIS is how Nighty found her voice. I recorded a column and he aired it that night. I decided to record a few more and entered them in “Hear Now: The Audio Fiction and Arts Festival Competition.” Although I wasn’t present for the Festival and award ceremony, Nighty won “Bronze” as a Horror Podcast.

The original home of Nighty was evolving. The site owner became so involved in revamping the other sections of the site that uploading new columns became less of a priority. The site was becoming a place to find reviews of movies and old shows that thrill. There are loads of links to purchase horror paraphernalia. Honestly, Nighty no longer fit in many ways. Staying Scared was also running low on bandwidth, so I decided to move Nighty to a site all her own. Thus far, the audio content is housed on http://www.nightynightmare.net  I intend on adding both the written columns as well as the audio versions as quickly as I can. It’s a great deal of work. My husband adds the music and the sound effects to my recordings, which is the most time-consuming. I research topics for my columns before writing each. Finding subject matter is a great deal of fun.

They reveal themselves in the most surprising places. Watching a newscast or a science show that may briefly mention something you wouldn’t possibly think could become a topic for Nighty, but I find its correlation. It doesn’t have to be “paranormal,” to fall into a category worthy of Nighty’s Realm. My sources are endless. Nighty Nightmare is growing, but the completion of the website has been slow. Much thought goes into each column- it’s quite necessary due to the thematic nature of fact carefully melded into an entity of horror. Nevertheless, it’s coming along. A site like Nighty Nightmare will always be under some sort of construction, as with any column. Please, never- NEVER call Nighty a “BLOG.” AGH! That drives me batty! Nighty Nightmare is a “Column” and has an audio version of said “Column”-please don’t mistake her for a Blog.

I have recently been named “Woman in Horror” by “Blaze McRob’s Tales of  Horror/Blazing Owl Press” for the eighth year running, and Nighty Nightmare has been the focus once again. Always an honor beyond words.

Me: What do you do that keeps your creative juices flowing?
MGF: The answer to that is quite complex. “Awareness.” Becoming sensitive to my surroundings has always been extremely inspirational. Sounds.. a simple breeze, the rustling of leaves, the aching of a tree’s branches as it struggles against the weight of snow or a heavy rain. OH! RAIN! Rain alone has the ability to stimulate each and every sense in the human body. The aroma of an apple blossom as you pass a garden, the gentle brush of a ray of sunlight as it glides across the skin before moving behind a cloud… Yes, awareness keeps my soul creative.

Me: What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
MGF: I’m forever writing. I hope to compile “Verses From a Deeply Darkened Mind II” at some point. I co-edited "Cherry Nose Armageddon" and the stand-alone "Dr. Bonzai" by Chris Thompson, both of which are available from Nocturnicorn Books. I am always looking for new and interesting submission calls, although I have been out of the loop for a bit due to personal loss and health issues but eagerly looking forward to slipping back in. I have much to do in updating my Facebook Writer Page. I have noticed my bio is missing and I have many books to add to the “Published Works” section. I plan on adding more content to “Nighty Nightmare,” narrating books/works for various authors and possibly working on a podcast for “Toys in the Attic” and “Terror Train II.” Actually, there is quite a lot of work I’d like to accomplish before the end of 2021.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Woman in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
MGF: I have been asked this question many times throughout the years and the best advice I can give any up-and-coming woman writer is to be authentic. Admire all the authors you wish, but emulate no one. It is so very important to stay true to your own “unique” voice. Writing is no different than the music you hear on the radio waves. Don’t you hate when so many singers sound exactly the same? The same holds true to writers, poets and columnists. No one wants to pick up a book by someone new whose work is just like another author you read last week. You want something truly original and exciting. A fresh take on writing; a creative voice that you won’t soon forget. Last but not least, READ, READ, READ! The more you read, the more polished your writing becomes. Some say to write every day. I say carry a notebook and pen with you everywhere you go. It may not be an everyday occurrence, but you may decide to put that pen to paper at the most unexpected of times. The most important thing is to love what you are doing. If it becomes a chore, step away. Writing should be to the writer what harmony is to a musician or a brushstroke is to a painter… “Art.” It is a beautiful gift to be able to express yourself- no matter your instrument…

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments