WiHM Special - Laura Ellen Wilson


An accomplished actress and producer for the indie scene in the UK, Laura Ellen Wilson is looking to put her skills to the test with plenty of roles in various films in and out of the genre to further her career. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, her experiences working on several films from her career and some upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Laura Ellen Wilson: Hello and thank you for having me :D I believe my love of horror started around the age of 5 or 6 when I watched my first horror movie, Jaws. I distinctly remember the gruesome death of Quint!!

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
LEW: I have always been a huge fan of the horror genre. I was always one of those children who, when told not to do something, naturally I had to do it. When I was told I couldn’t watch a movie because it was too scary, I would always make it my mission to watch it!

I was also very much into the mystery/adventure genre with films such as Matilda and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
LEW: For as long as I can remember, I would always put on shows for my parents and relatives and always had a dramatic flair! I think I truly found my love and passion for performing at the age of 16 when I attended a full-time college degree in Musical Theatre.

I always felt a little ‘out of place’ growing up and I could never figure out why. It wasn’t until I got to college and started to mix with like-minded individuals that I realized up until that moment, I just hadn’t found anyone with the same interests or with similar personalities as my own. This is the aspect of the industry that appeals to me the most. Being with people who all have a hunger to grow and become better, whether it be in front or behind the camera. In this industry, gaining a degree isn’t enough. You must constantly work and study the art and I love that.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
LEW: I always look for a character with a real depth to them. I like to explore their journey throughout the film and regardless of how large or small the role is, there is always an arc. Sometimes it isn’t as easy to find, but that is the fun part. 

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
LEW: I worked on many student short films before heading out into feature films. This provided a wealth of experience, as students are graded on how they work in a team, organizational skills, and the pace of the set amongst many other aspects of the production. To work with that pace and professionalism from the very start of my career definitely helped when I arrived on my first professional feature film set. I knew exactly what to expect from the crew and what was expected of me as a cast member.

Me: When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
LEW: This varies with each project. If the subject matter that we are filming that day is lighthearted, then we chat, play pranks, and just have a great time. If it is a heavier subject and the takes are paced relatively quickly, I usually stay on set in position with my eyes closed looking down. It sounds very specific, but I am very easily distracted and by closing my eyes and bowing my head (sometimes covering my ears too), I am still connected with my character until it comes time to snap out of it. 

If I am released from the set for a little while, I’ll read or play a game on my phone.


Me: Among your first lead roles was Chloe in 'Christmas Slay.' What attracted you to the character?
LEW: This was a very last-minute casting! I had been in touch with the director, Steve Davis for several months before filming, after applying for the role during the initial round of casting. Due to my lack of experience, another actress was cast in the role however, Steve reached out to me to say he liked my audition and that I would be considered for future productions. Just 2 weeks before they were due to fly out to Bulgaria, the actress had to pull out. Steve then contacted me to ask if I was still available.

With it being a pure gorefest, I was in love with the character and plot from the start – especially with how my character dies too…..

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
LEW: Having worked mainly in horror, I have found myself on set in spooky locations many a time. The best one would be filming ‘The Singing Bird Will Come.’ We were filming in a very deep, dark and damp cellar one night in an old town. The building is well known to be haunted and whilst setting up for the next scene in the cellar, all the lights suddenly went off and the cellar door slammed shut. To this day, we still have absolutely no idea how it happened!!

Me: As well, you soon moved on to the character of Emily in the film 'Monster.' How did you get involved with the film?
LEW: A very chance email to the director started the ball rolling with Monster. I was on IMDb one day and happened to come across Monster, which had just been announced as in pre-production. The email address for writer/director Matt Shaw was listed and after doing some digging on the film, I noticed that it was a film adaptation of an award-winning book. I decided to email Matt and see if he was still holding auditions. He messaged back a few days later and offered me an audition. The rest is history, as they say!

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
LEW: Having worked solely in the horror genre prior to filming Monster, I thought that I would have been well prepared. How wrong I was!! It was my first experience of an ‘extreme horror.’ The cast and crew were very experienced when it came to the nature of the horror and scenes and at times, I found myself completely in awe and thinking, what am I doing?!! The great thing about working with everyone on the set of Monster was that they had the most insane and dark sense of humor. Although there were some extremely sensitive scenes, some of the one-liners from the crew just had everyone falling about laughing. That aspect was very important to some of the cast members. Being in those characters' heads for too long wouldn’t have been good for us!

Me: Given the nature of the film, how did you stay in character while on-set?
LEW: Many times, I used my ‘eyes closed, head down’ technique to stay in character and to keep the thought process going. The character of Emily had some very emotional and distressing scenes and to really dig deep, I had horrendous thoughts running through my head constantly. Although we had some light relief between takes, when it came to the serious subjects, everyone was very sensitive and instinctively knew to keep quiet and let us do our thing.


Me: With other roles in films like 'Friday the 13th: Vengeance,' 'Coven of Evil,' 'The Poltergeist Diaries' and 'Survivor Girls' among others, does the rush of constantly working on new material overcome any potential downfalls like physical fatigue, hectic work-schedules, etc?
LEW: At first, I got myself quite run down and physical and emotional fatigue was very much at play. I am used to a fast-paced lifestyle (having worked previously in entertainment overseas) and I assumed I could burn the candle at both ends like I had been doing. However, working on camera is quite different to any previous experience. No matter how good an actor you are, if you are completely drained or tired, the camera will notice. It’s taken a while, but I have now found that balance and I know to listen to my body and take advantage of the downtime.

Arriving on a new set though, there is just nothing like that feeling. Meeting all the new cast and crew members, adapting to how they all work. It’s just a feeling I can’t describe. Just magical!

Me: With appearances set for upcoming films 'I Hear the Trees Whispering,' 'Barry the Hatchet' and 'Reflecting the Void,' what about these projects excite you the most to get filming?
LEW: The fact that I love to travel and the fact that none of the above projects are in my home country, is extremely exciting! I Hear The Trees Whispering is shooting in Hungary and I have never visited before. Although I will be on set most of the time, I’m looking forward to feeling the atmosphere, seeing what foods are popular and am interested to see how their film sets work as opposed to the UK. Barry the Hatchet and Reflecting the Void are both in the US and of course, I absolutely love the country.

This time I will be in states I haven’t been before – Illinois, Las Vegas and Arizona – and believe I will have quite a bit of downtime to explore.

Apart from the traveling, each movie is a completely different kind of horror. From psychological, sci-fi and slasher, I just cannot wait to get started. My characters are all very different too and I am really looking forward to exploring them closer to the time.

Me: Beyond films, what do you do to keep the creative energy going?
LEW: I watch films and TV series. With the past year and with us being in lockdown and unable to leave the house very much, I found myself engrossed in TV and Film more than ever. I love movies but a series has so much more scope to explore characters and plot lines.

When I am able to leave the house, I walk the dogs. This is where a ton of my creative energy comes from as it gives me time to think. I live at the back of a canal/waterway in the UK and the scenery and peacefulness are perfect for that burst of a creative outlet. This also how I learn my lines. I find the dialogue is easier to learn and to retain when doing movement.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
LEW: I am currently in pre-production for my own short film ‘In Bluebell Wood,’ which will shoot over 4 days at the end of May/early June. I have a very large cast of child actors, so organization is key to the production running smoothly.

I have also just had confirmation of flights to head back out to Alabama to shoot the final part of ‘Survivor Girls’ later in April. I am the stunt coordinator for the movie and play the role of Ariel.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
LEW: Firstly, I would say shake off any stories of negativity. There is too much of that and it is no good for anyone. If you want to join the industry, do it. No one can stop you. Surround yourself with positive people who want to see you rise. Network and make contacts. No one in this industry got anywhere by sitting back and waiting for the work to come to them!

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments