WiHM Special - Jenn Nangle


After being a highlight of last year's celebrations, I'm pleased to talk to Jenn Nangle once again about what she's been up to in the past year, what new projects her and Queen Malvolia have been up to and her short story writing among other features.


Me: Hello and thank you for agreeing to this again! What have you been up to since last we spoke?
Jenn Nangle: Well, I survived 2020…. Does that count for something? 

Completed season 4 of Malvolia. I flew to Mississippi and shot some segments with the After Hours Cinema crew for a new show on their Roku channel “Fear Flix” which is currently streaming. Shot a couple roles for some features. Went back to work!

Me: Having mentioned a frustration with your career and the lack of inner focus on your own work, did the proceeding events of the world at large help to quell or further those thoughts?
JN: Yes and no. It had a lot of people talking about and creating more work opportunities since people had a lot of time on their hands to do just that, however, projects keep getting pushed back. What can you do but just take things as they come… I’m still looking out for that break-out role in a feature film. I’m really ready to show people that I have many different sides to me and can do so much more than people allow me to.

Me: Among your more fruitful collaborations was appearing in a number of Dustin Ferguson’s works. How did the initial collaboration and contact with him go about? What about his directing style keeps you coming back to his films?
JN: Initially, he was looking to cast a small role in his home invasion feature “House of Pain” and I reached out to him. It was an easy shoot and he was filled with positive energy. Either he liked me or I just never went away… To be honest, he believes in me. Not many people do. Not even some of my filmmaker friends give me changes in their films like he does. Dustin ALWAYS thinks of me. And he ALWAYS completes his films and releases them. So, as long as he keeps asking me back, I will always report to set!


Me: As the collaborations also included work with your hostess character Queen Malvolia, is there an ease with preparing material for her segments that goes along with his film style?
JN: Yes. A different side of Malvolia is shown through Dustin’s work, because, it’s just too fun not too! She is more “alive” and kooky – not very serious and mean. It’s a different way for me to showcase the character without a lot of pressure. It’s just horrific goofy fun! And I can be myself.

Me: As the year progressed, you made more of an effort to spread Malvolia’s brand of mayhem in several specials and episodes. What was the process to getting them filmed during the state of the world at the time?
JN: It was nerve-racking. The Halloween Special was still in the heart of everything that was going on, so we were overly cautious. I wrote the Halloween Special so it focused really on “one on one” characters at a time. Thanksgiving I lost my SFX team and actress a day and a half before shooting because of Covid – so that was a pretty intense time trying to find and SFX person that would do such effects with the budget I had on such a short notice (Thank You Robert Bravo!). The Xmas special, because I wanted to work with a certain director of photography, we used people that he lived with and only had two other actors that were from outside to work on the special. It was all about the time where I stated what I wanted, but being flexible because the virus really took control over everything. 

Throughout the season, I tried to be creative with the skits and have actors film themselves and then edit it all together, which worked in some ways, but I find the “zoom pandemic movies” boring after a while, so that was short-lived. Not going to lie, it was a hard season, but we all got through it and we all remained safe and healthy. I’m proud of that factor!


Me: More recently, you’ve turned to being an author with a story in the anthology A Scream in the Night. How did you come to be involved in the collection? What was the inspiration to start writing a short horror story?
JN: Reyna Gillette asked me to be a part of it and I was, and still am, so honored! I never really get asked to be a part of things like this, so, it really meant the world to me.

Danvers State Mental Hospital has always had a soft spot in my heart. I grew up near it (raised in Danvers, Mass.) so you always heard old stories about people working at the “looney bin” or, when we would drive by it, it was this enormous dark castle on the hill that, no matter what, I always looked at and wondered about.

I started writing a feature film about Danvers State and, very soon after, “Eloise” came out which had a lot of similarities to what I was writing about. When the short story opportunity came my way, I knew I wanted to write it on my script idea. However, writing the story took a huge turn of events and it wasn’t something I planned on. The story took a life of its own… Eerie, but so cool!

Me: Where did the inspiration for your story come from? Was there any part of your real sense injected into the characters?
JN: I talk about the town historian in the short story, which my town had. I took piano lessons from his daughter when I was in high school, so being at their house was so fascinating. They had so many old artifacts around and cool findings they would dig up. What he did left a lasting impression on me. Other than that, everyone was fictionalized.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
JN: Writing is so hard for me. I have to really want to do it, to be honest. Writing short films is my favorite. I’ve been struggling for over a year now trying to write features. I just get all choked up and can’t finish. Short stories aren’t really my jam. If another opportunity arose, I would definitely take it, but I mostly write scripts to act and play the characters I want to play. I don’t get cast quite often, so I want to keep myself working.

Me: Are there any plans to continue doing this alongside your acting and directing work?
JN: Not as of right now. But I never say no!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
JN: Look out for “Ebola Rex Vs. Murder Hornets” and “Arachnado 2”! I’ll be hosting AND acting. My character “Crystal” is returning for the final installment “Bubba’s Dead” for the Meathook Massacre franchise. And, lastly, I’ll be taking over a feature film I’ve been attached to entitled “Callback.” We are still in the script phase, but I hope to film it in June!

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
JN: There are going to be so many toxic, selfish people that are going to put you down and take advantage of you and your talent. Stay strong. Listen to your gut. You can do this. Push through. Don’t compare yourself to others. No one has control of you. Just do it.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments