WiHM Special - A. Chris Hartzell


An integral part of the Liesnfables radio show, A. Chris Hartsell is one of the main writers on the show creating unique radio shows for genre listeners as well as other forms of genre entertainment. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, the process for creating some of the projects for the show and some upcoming plans.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
A. Chris Hartsell: Thank you for including me with Women in Horror Month. I love that sentence and love saying it out loud. I started enjoying anything dark and unusual around the time that I got my first skateboard. Both horror and skateboarding gave me scars that I am always happy to show off. It was the 70's and the horror genre had let its hair down. My family was living in a trailer park behind the A&W, which is a great way to start a story There were no curfews and little supervision. A group of us kids wanted to watch this for an adults-only movie on TV called The Exorcist. Yeah, that was not going to happen in any respectable trailer, no way. Back then trailers had a layout where the living/dining/card-playing room had big windows. Luckily for us, after looking in many windows like weirdos, we found someone watching the Exorcist. There she was Linda Blair, around the same age as us, looking scary. We had no sound so even scarier to imagine what was being said. It scared me so much that I knew I was hooked.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
AH: Growing up I loved getting lost in stories. Insomnia had a chokehold on me, so I would watch tv. PBS at that time was showing Shakespeare and other theater, and classic Horror movies. When that went off of the air for the night I would read or tell myself stories until I could nap. Telling myself stories to fall asleep went on until around 10 years ago. I found that this mind of mine has too many files and needs to just count the shadows instead. My favorite movies came from different genres. Jesus Christ Superstar (first hippy experience), Jaws, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Silent Movie, and Planet of the Apes. The very first scare that I can remember was because of Plane of the Apes. My Mom had bought me the Cornelius mask for Halloween. Perhaps I had been jump roping in the attic too much, but I saw my reflection and did not register that it was me. I know that I jumped! Another good way to start a story.

Me: When did you initially develop an interest in theater and drama?
AH: Getting into theater was a lot different for me than becoming a writer. Writing to me was always my best friend. The theater was supposed to be a one-night stand. It made more sense to me that I would write for tv and movies. To this day I have not finished writing a script for either. The year that I wanted to try something different in my world I decided to take a couple of classes at a junior college. There was a scriptwriting class that sounded perfect and a theater stagecraft class close together. I signed up for both and blew the doors wide open. Have you ever had a moment when you make a deal with the universe that you would walk through any door that was opened for you? Then put it with wanting to experience any and all of what could happen in a person's life so that there is a good story. This was that moment. My script was coming along fine, but it was the theater class that shot me with Cupid's arrow. I wanted to not only write for theater but also work in it. That decision was made long ago and still occasionally employs me when there is no pandemic. Theater people are muses. Whether on stage, behind the stage, or in front of the stage there is always someone to talk creative ideas with. Theater is an incredible thrill. Where else can a group of people dressed all in black come together to make an unforgettable sensory experience happen for that very live moment?

Me: How did the concept of moving into a genre-friendly route with horror radio plays come together?
AH: Radio theater came about when I was invited to be a part of this community radio station in Cabool, Missouri. I was asked to be a DJ at a time when I needed to be asked to create anything artistic. There I met wonderful people and had a great time. The station manager Myron got me into radio theater. Myron, me, and silent Scott became the best of friends. They were 2 that I could talk into mischief, or they would me. I think that it was on the air, not completely sure when Myron dared me to write a radio theater story when I said that I bet I could. It was a zombie no-brainer.  Since that date, there has been a lot of radio theater produced by both of us. I have found that creative people really have a great time sharing the storytelling realm and daring each other to go even further.

Me: When writing a new project, what's the one fall-back tactic that you're always able to draw inspiration from?
AH: One of my fallback inspirations to draw on is movement. Any kind of movement. Walking in a city, walking in the woods. A vehicle, a boat, public transport anything moving. For some reason, an idea will come to me, or a story gets fleshed out quite nicely. I don't even care if it is noisy. Sometimes I fall asleep. So maybe dreams are good inspirations as well.

Me: Is there any specific type of genre you prefer writing? Is there any style or format you find easier to get into even without a preference?
AH: I prefer to write in the anything genre. It is great to write witty, sometimes mushy passages, but I do love a good scare. The people around me also prefer that I write in the anything genre as long as I am writing. My favorite has been dark comedy with horror. Radio theater is what I find to be the easiest most natural for me. Poetry likes to show up out of the blue as well at times. I had no idea that I would love Radio theater though as much as I still do. Coming up with a story, approaching complete strangers to take part, collecting sounds, then playing it for the world is extraordinary.

Me: What kind of pre-production work goes into making a new play? What are the collaborations like when you get together with your staff to create a new project?
AH: For radio, I have a specific unorthodox method. First the idea that can be from anywhere or anyone. Then the idea gets talked about a lot in any group that will listen. When I think that I may have a good story I start asking people to be in it. In my imagination, the voice and sounds are there and when a person or sound can create that then I have what the story needs to start recording. Here is the part that not many people know so don't tell anyone. I usually write the story the night before the recording. The actors get the script without rehearsing, which works because I want to hear the actors' first response and record that. Myron records, I kind of direct and the story is told. The two of us work on editing. He is really a master at making something sound perfect. If not reigned in I tend to obsess on the sound of a door opening and closing on cue. KZGM plays the radio theater and other stations sometimes choose to archive the shows as well or it sometimes gets passed around on CDs. Radio theater feels like it is making a comeback. Maybe the slowing down that all of us have had helps our desire for storytelling again.

Me: What are some of the more memorable stories you can recall about performing a new radio play?
AH: Every radio story has been memorable in one way or another. There was one called 'Where are they now And should we be concerned?' It was a fictional interview show about Aunt Bea and her possible liking of cough syrup. A lot of talented people showed up to take part. I even had to peel out of the driveway to make the sound of Opie being upset and driving off. So much fun. It is always fun and different. I love that so many people are willing to take part in a person's "hey, let's pretend like" imagination. We all get very starstruck about telling a story and having it heard on the radio. There is something very pure about it and freeing. That and you get to hear yourself on the radio. The KZGM station once gave out I.D. cards to the Merry LiesnFables Pranksters theater group that also said that they were heard and played on the radio.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
AH: There is a project that I am working on right now that is a continuation of a play that I got to write and stage years ago. 'O Negative Commitments', a dark zombie comedy horror where different consistencies of blood and body parts get thrown on the audience. After the show, we recorded an adapted version of radio theater. The natural progression is of course now to make it a musical. Mr. Randy Clark is helping with the music. Perhaps it will be a bloody mess of a musical? Other than that I have Radio theater stories, and sock puppet stories, and children's stories that I hope to finish. My studio looks like a parade came to town and left pieces of paper from different floats with interesting themes.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
AH: To anyone out there wanting to be a part of Radio theater be weird enough to do it. The doors are always open and there are so many groups of creative people that enjoy being weird and creative like Women in Horror. Start listening to all of the noises. Start listening to voices. Really listen to how something sounds without thinking that that is how it should sound. Collect them all. Now that sounds like a good horror story.

Thank you for including me in the Women of Horror Month. This genre is flooded with men and stories that they want to tell, and there have been some really good ones. I do think, however, that there are a lot of women that can give us all an even better scare. Cheers Achris

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments