WiHM Special - Whitney Modesta Collazo


An accomplished make-up artist and burgeoning podcaster, Whitney Modesta Collazo has turned out a number of genre credits behind the camera with her make-up skills that have led to her appearances on the Decades of Horror - The Classic Era podcast for Gruesome Magazine. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the genre, her early work on genre features and productions as well as her podcasting work.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to go into the film industry?
Whitney Modesto Collazo: Hello! And thank you for including me in on Women In Horror Month celebrations with this interview. 

Ever since I could remember, I’ve always had a passion for the arts in general. Growing up, both of my parents, as well as my uncle, have always encouraged my art. My uncle actually worked at a haunt for some years and introduced me to his realm there. The haunt industry became the open door into the film industry for me. 

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
WMC: My family corrupted me with a mixture of Horror at an early age. I instantly took to Horror Comedy that’s for sure. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein, as well as other fun features like Monster Squad and Beetlejuice steered me towards the genre. Those are just a few gems among other treasures that got me hooked as a kid.

Me: Was there anything that specifically drove you towards special make-up effects? Were you ever considering any other field in the industry? 
WMC: Growing up I loved watching behind-the-scenes clips of movies and programs. There’s something magical about seeing makeup artists, concept artists and even production designers using all sorts of tools in their craft with movie magic. But If you pay attention to all of these artists, they pick up that magic tool, the paintbrush. Though I have a love for makeup artistry, I have a passion for it all really. So when it comes to specifics on what makes us artists into our world, I say it’s that one favorite magical tool. Mine is a paintbrush.

Me: Were there any idols or influential figures you looked up to that helped to steer or guide you throughout the industry?
WMC: I’ll always say that Guillermo del Toro is someone I’ve found most influential to me culturally and artistically. I’ll never grow tired of saying to myself and others, “He’s from the tequila state of Jalisco in Mexico and part of my family is from there too!” Knowing that my favorite filmmaker and I share similar roots, that has meaning to me and it makes me proud.

I’m also thankful and proud of what I’ve learned from the mentors who have helped me throughout my creative journey. 

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects? 
WHC: My makeup kit, makeup brushes, paintbrushes, pencils, pens, sketchbooks and notebooks. Those are the tools I always turn to. 

For past, present and future projects, I keep sketchbook journals and pens handy so I can draw and/or write things down. Whether if it’s creature, character or story concepts, transferring those things from pen to paper has been my personal go-to sources for projects. 

Me: Among your first feature-film work, "Toolbox Murders 2" and "Dark Awakening," was being involved with cinema legends Bruce Dern and Lance Henriksen. What was the set like while shooting the films?
WMC: I remember that both film sets were based in Alamance County, in my home state of North Carolina. Just knowing that I lived about 35 minutes away from the area at the time was pretty cool and convenient. Bruce Dern wrapped long before I got involved in the makeup department of Toolbox Murders 2. I remember doing makeup on pick-up shots on that project.

On the set of Dark Awakening, however, I spent more time on that production and I stayed busy in the makeup department with special effects. I remember working on ghostly children's makeups on that set and I got to meet Lance Henriksen’s bust and assisted with a paint job on it. Fast forward to a few years later where I ran into Lance Henriksen at Mad Monster Party Convention — During our interaction there, It was mentioned that we didn’t properly meet on the project but I met and worked a little bit on his clone/bust!


Me: Your most accomplished short is "Gruss Vom Krampus." What drew you to that project? Being the writer of the short as well, where did the inspiration for the film come from?
WMC: Not only do I love to watch horror, but I also love reading it too. I’ve always been a bit of a bookworm, and have always enjoyed reading world folklore and fantasy as well. One of my favorite artists and authors, Gerald Brom, wrote a Horror /Fantasy novel titled Krampus: The Yule Lord. Me being a big fan of his work, I just to get my hands on that book. Once I read it, I fell in love with his interpretation of the Christmas demon.

Then along came my favorite metal band Lacuna Coil with their interpretation of Krampus with their song Naughty Christmas. It’s safe to say that both Brom and Lacuna Coil inspired me to create my own version of Krampus.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
WMC: Oh man, I have many fond memories with so many talented people. If I had to choose my funny on-set experiences, it was always with Wreak Havoc Productions. In my past of Heading up makeup for them on the set of commercials and shorts, I’ve got to say that those guys have my heart.

With every set that we worked on, inside jokes or other funny occurrences were always present. Whenever there was a makeup or wardrobe malfunction, whatever it was, you name it, they kept it positive. Those guys have always put a smile on my face and have made me laugh.

Me: As well, you joined up with Gruesome Magazine's podcast network for their Decades of Horror: Classic Era lineup. How did you get involved with that group?
WMC: I have listened to a few podcasts prior to getting acquainted and involved with Gruesome. Upon sharing similar passions on Horror and filmmaking in general, I befriended a few of the members of the Grue-Crew.

I was eventually solicited by a co-host with Classic Era, who had asked if I wanted to be a guest host on their podcast. After clicking the guys as a guest host for Dead of Night and Cat People, I officially became part of the Grue-Crew!

Me: What else are you working on that you can talk about regarding new shorts or films you're involved in?
WHC: I’ve been writing screenplays within the Horror/Scifi Genre with not only a female perspective of characters but also with a cultural one in representation. With the Latinx/Hispanic community being part of who I am, I am pretty excited to mesh Horror and my heritage together with the storytelling I’ve been working on.

Speaking of my heritage, I have recently created a YouTube channel! Through my Channel Whitscraftngore, I will be la Hechicera del Horror. (Meaning the sorceress of horror) Through that channel I’ll be filming my conjurings of artworks and makeup demos to coincide with spooky and strange stories coming from Mexican and World Folklore! 

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
WMC: It’s my pleasure and thank you again for including me!

I said this last year and I’ll say it again, I want every talented señorita to scream si se puede! Because yes you can! You can pick up that pen and pencil and start writing, you can pick up that camera or phone and start shooting. You can pick up that paintbrush or makeup brush and create something con terror pero cute or bloody! Whatever it is that your heart of horror desires, go for it! Network with as much talent as you possibly can. Find your niche, and/or mentor. So ándale and go be your creative, authentic-self!

To get an idea of her work on the Decades of Horror podcast:

To follow her Youtube channel, check it out here:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments