WiHM Special - Victoria Vardon


An accomplished indie producer and production crew member, Victoria Vardon has managed quite a lot of work with the Ghost Walk Studios crew on their films, most notably their Dawson Horrors trilogy of films. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the industry, working on the series and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this.
Victoria Vardon: Thank you for your interest and for allowing me the opportunity to talk with you.

Me: First off, when did you get into horror in general?
VV: I can remember being interested in horror from a very early age.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
VV: I was a child of the 80s so all horror films from the 80s such as Pet Sematary, Poltergeist, Children of the Corn, Freight Night, Hellraiser, Friday the 13th and Nightmare from Elm Street. Of course also The Lost Boys!

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for filmmaking? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
VV: I first discovered that I had a true passion for filmmaking back in the day when I was modeling.  I got invited to be a repeat background actor for the TV series Dallas. Later on down the road, I stepped behind the camera and I was hooked.

Me: How did you eventually fall into the role of producer? What do you enjoy most about the profession?
VV: I pretty much was handed producer roles because of how organized I was in everything I tackled.  I was on film sets and my legal background allowed me to wear many hats. Being a producer came very naturally for me.

Me: When working on a new project, do you prefer to be involved from the beginning or work later on once it's been started?
VV: I have been in both scenarios but I prefer to be involved from the very beginning starting with pre-production. I find since I step into several roles, it makes the entire process so much organized.

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production during a shoot, does it challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once on these projects? How do you balance those priorities during a shoot?
VV: I am constantly challenging myself in everything that I do. I find that if you are prepared, know the script backwards and forward along with the elements of the story, staying organized and focused allows you to handle multiple roles onset (if that is needed).

Me: Working with Ghost Walk Studios on their trilogy of ‘Dawson Horrors’ trilogy, where did the inspiration for the series come from? What specifically drew you to wanting to help produce it?
VV: The original concept was created by my partner at Ghost Walk Studios, Rocky Karlage based on his true account and experiences which started with “The Farm.” The rest of the series is not based on true events; however, it ties in with the original story. I was drawn in right away because who doesn’t love a good paranormal story right?

Me: How much involvement did you have with the rest of the production team bringing it to life? What was the early life of the film like?
VV: We had a great team on board to the start of the series with the first film titled “The Farm.” The Farm actually started out as a photoshoot which later would be turned into a multi-media show.  Our following on social media (especially Europe) insisted we do more with it such as a video game or film. That is when my partner, Rocky Karlage and our Director, Steve Olander attended a workshop. We all said a short film was something we could do. The Farm started out as a micro-film and later was turned into a 45-minute film. We have had discussions about doing a remake of The Farm (under a different title) making it a full feature.

Me: With the last film set to begin filming soon, what special plans do you have to send the series off on a high-note?
VV: The second film titled “Estella’s Revenge” is currently in post-production and the third film titled “The End is Then” which is in development. As soon as the series concludes I will be able to fully answer this. I do know, you will surely be surprised how the series ends.

Me: Outside of that series, you were also involved in their film adaptation of 'Embrace the Twilight.' What new challenges, if any, presented themselves adapting a published novel instead of an original concept?
VV Filming a movie based on a novel is more difficult to accomplish because this story is already out in the world and with its already dedicated followers and fans. You must mirror what the novel describes from costumes to characters. The world already has a visual and expect nothing any less.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
VV: I am currently working on the full feature “The Caller.” Imagine a cross between Scream and When a Stranger Calls. We had to post-pone filming due to COVID. Also working on filming a pitch concept trailer for another horror full feature titled “Dead Slate.” We are currently in pre-production and seeking investments for the film and talking with talent. Filming another horror full feature in the spring but cannot disclose any details but would be happy to talk about it I am allowed to come public. I have many projects in development and can discuss them once I can.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
VV: Network by joining social media groups and local mixers, join productions to gain valuable experience from your colleagues. Your motivation and good attitude is half the battle. Be fearless, dream big and shoot for the big sky.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments