WiHM Special - Steph Necel


Part of the newly-launched Beyond the Screams Podcast, Steph Necel is one of the more profound voices for one of the most impressive shows out there as they provide a wide range of content in their catalog. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the genre, preparing for the show and the overall goal of the podcast moving forward.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. 

First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Steph Necel: I’ve always been into horror and the macabre. My parents went all out for Halloween every year, so I always had a costume and a decorated house. We would watch all the Halloween specials, so my love of horror and general spookiness was definitely supported.  

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
SN: I remember when a friend of mine introduced me to horror movies and showed me Halloween. I think I was 7 or 8. I wanted to see every and any horror movie I could, so I always tried to watch them if they were on TV. Even if I got really scared, I always came back for more. I also grew up watching those dark comedies from the 80s/90s like Beetlejuice, The Burbs, The Applegates, etc.

Me: Initially starting on the show Horror Melee, what do you remember of your time with the group?
SN: We had a lot of fun. We generally did basic movie reviews, but it was fun to have an organized discussion about my thoughts on whatever horror movie we were reviewing. I had never really explored horror movies other than for general entertainment. Being able to talk about it with the group made me learn more about the movies and production, which gave me a greater appreciation of the genre. Plus editing the audio was a nice creative outlet for me.

Me: Having recently launched Beyond the Screams, has the style of prepping and recording a show changed over time?
SN: Yes. We’re always trying to improve and make better content. We used to just record a show with little notes and thought, and now we flush out what we want to discuss and the flow of discussion. We collectively do more research to provide more information and interesting details.

Me: How did the original concept and general format of the show come about? Has this changed much since you’ve first started?
SN: When we were doing Horror Melee, we all realized that we discussed deeper themes in a movie beyond the jump scares, gore and general entertainment. We spent some time working on a manifestation packet and thinking about what we wanted to accomplish with a podcast. We talked with Patrick’s sister who does marketing, and she gave us some great insight on how to do more with our content. We spent time on writing show flows and researching, and we realized we could use that content to create more than just one episode. The podcast is a part-time volunteer job, so we’re all about working smarter not harder.

Me: What is the usual strategy you employ for note-taking before a new recording?
SN: Someone starts the show flow, which is a Google doc, and I’ll add all the scene descriptions and general info. We each have notes that we individually want to discuss. We want to keep the conversation natural and let the discussion evolve organically, so it’s not fully scripted.

Me: Are there any pre-show rituals you perform before recording?
SN: Pour a big ol' glass of wine. Haha, not really.

Me: How has your relationship with the rest of your co-hosts changed over the course of the shows’ run?
SN: I’ve known Patrick for about 5 years, and we used to work together. We’re really good friends, and we’ve always worked well together.  So, that working relationship has translated well with the podcast. I’ve always bossed him around, haha. Patrick and I have yet to meet Holly in person. It’s been really cool to get to know Holly and what special sauce she adds to the mix. Over the course of the show, we have learned more about what each person can bring to the table and how to best utilize our individual skill-set.

Me: What has been the most surreal or unexpected experience the show has afforded you since it started?
SN: The podcast has not only scratched a horror itch, but it’s also exercised the horror muscle in my body. I have been able to connect with the horror community and creators. I love learning about people’s journeys in filmmaking and creating horror. It’s inspiring to meet and see folks who are following their passions, whether it’s a full-time job or a fun side hobby.

The podcast is also a great creative outlet for me, and it’s allowed me to use/improve my production skills. I didn’t expect to be able to add podcast producer to my resume, but it’s definitely a skill set!

Me: What is the overall goal of Beyond the Screams moving forward?
SN: We want to create an approachable horror community for all types of horror fans. Not just hardcore fans who have seen every movie out there, but also for fans who may not be big horror fans. Horror has helped me in a variety of ways throughout my life. And we want to highlight the deeper ideas in horror than the kill scenes. Don’t get me wrong, those are great, but there’s more going on.

We also want to showcase and promote for not-so-known horror creators. There is so much great content out there, and it’s tough to navigate the oversaturation of horror content on social media. So, I’m producing themed virtual variety shows as a platform for horror performers, creators and vendors. It’s been great, and viewers have a lot of fun!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
SN: I work in live events and have started producing virtual events since the pandemic. I’d love to help anyone out there looking to put on a live event (online or in-person). You can check out my website: stiphproductions.com for more info.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? 
SN: Just do it. We need more women out there sharing their perspectives and voices. Get involved and don’t be afraid to mess up or look silly. Progress, not perfection. 

Thank you again for your time!

To check out a potential episode for yourself, give it a listen here:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments