WiHM Special - SJ Krandall


An upcoming name in the author genre, S.J. Krandall has used her passion for writing to get her first novel, Fear Farm: No Trespassers out to the masses. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early writing influences, the novel itself and her upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? 
S.J. Krandall: Hi! Thank you for the opportunity. I was so young. I remember my sister and I staying up late at night to watch scary movies and tell each other spooky stories. We still enjoy that today along with reading books by various authors.  

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies? 
SJK: Yes. I was enthralled earlier on by earlier shows and stories from Alfred Hitchcock, Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt and Creepshow. Movies like Halloween, Psycho, Friday the 13th and Jaws are amongst some of my favorites and I am a big fan of other 80’s horror.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work? 
SJK: I always enjoyed reading books by Stephen King. He is a great storyteller and has influenced me a lot. There are other authors as well. I liked to read and also enjoyed poetry and books with short story collections from various authors.

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
SJK: I was not actually. The thought was always there but I have been more involved in art and photography.  I just dabbled in writing from time to time.  I wrote poetry often while growing up. It wasn’t until I got older that I began to dive into my writing more.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing? 
SJK: It changes often depending on what is going on in my life and day but I try to write when I can. I write best when I am alone, I need peace and quiet to focus. My best ideas come to me when I am surrounded by nature. I like hikes and walks, even long car rides. It gives me a chance to dream.

Me: How did you settle on the plot for your novel Fear Farm: No Trespassers?  
SJK: Fear Farm No Trespassers is based on a real place that I have visited often since childhood. The stories were always in the works and they contain real events that have occurred from a lifetime of memories there. Names have been changed and stories have been twisted for the sake of fiction, but it is a great place where my imagination can be free.

Me: Was there any special significance to making the stories separate tales that all connect together at the end? 
SJK: Yes, based on the fact that they were separate incidences occurring throughout time I liked that I was able to individualize them into shorter stories and create some common ground to bring them together.

Me: Was there any part of your real sense injected into the characters? 
SJK: I believe there is a little part of myself in a couple of the characters throughout the book.

Me: Once it was finally written, what was the process to having it published? 
SJK: Once written, my next step was to find readers for feedback and then an editor. Reader feedback was helpful and I found editing to be challenging, but completely necessary. After the edits and rereads were finalized I researched how I wanted to move forward on publishing.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
SJK: I still enjoy art and photography. Many of my pictures can be seen on my Instagram account.  I have been writing a few short stories which has been so much fun and I have recently started my second book for the Fear Farm series.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!  
SJK: Join…do it. Follow your passion and have a great time with it. You do not need anyone's permission to be creative, and whatever it is you decide to do, don’t stop! 

To check out more of her work, follow her official site:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments