WiHM Special - Sierra Holmes


Mostly known to audiences for a celebrated if unfortunate run on season 2 of VH-1's reality show Scream Queens, actress Sierra Holmes has gone beyond this to make several notable appearances in indie fare in recent years. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her time on the show and the experiences there, working in the genre after leaving and her upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?  
Sierra Holmes: Thank you, Don, for having me! When I was 4 years, 27 days and 9 hours old, being the middle child, with siblings each only a year apart, I had to be creative to get attention. I didn’t know it was acting then, but I when I received my first laugh the feeling was insatiable.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?  
SH: That’s a great question!

No, there were so many great films while I was growing up to stick to one genre. I was always drawn to movies with plot twists, diverse characters, especially female leads.  The very first horror movie I recall was Gremlins. At 4 years old, that WAS my first “horror” film. He only had three rules. Don’t let them in sunlight, don’t let them get wet and above all, don’t feed them after midnight. I wish I could follow rule 3!

The Exorcist was definitely my first taste of the thrill of horror. My head spun like Regan during that classic scene.  

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What type of role really plays to your strengths as an actress.
SH: I would love to play a lead in a psychological thriller or a complete 180 and be in comedy.

Me: As you're mostly known for being on season 2 of VH-1's Scream Queens, how did you come to find out about the series? What was the process like to be accepted into the show?
SH: I was finishing up a dress rehearsal for the 7 deadly sins, in Burbank, CA, and overheard that there were auditions for Scream Queens 2 down the street. . I raced home, changed out of my costume and flew to the audition with minutes to spare. The judges asked me to act like I was possessed and by watching Exorcism of Emily Rose and being triple jointed, I twisted my arms from behind my back and over my head. That was enough to make my first cut!

Me: Do you look back on your time there with any sort of fond memories of experiences?
SH: Every moment I spent with John Homa, Jamie King and Tim Sullivan was an experience that will forever remain with me. I became very close friends with the cast members on the show. 

My fondest memory is when is John Homa was tough on us. He taught me how to tap into emotions quickly as an actress.

Me: Given the way it was filmed, what were the most rewarding and ultimately exhausting challenges? 
SH: Playing Evil was exhausting. There is a fine line between evil and mean.

The rewarding challenge was when I was told not to use words. Winning that episode without words, gave me confidence that I can portray emotion without speaking.

Me: After your experience there was, were you able to take anything from your time there and put them to use later on in your career?
SH: Yes. I learned to trust myself. Have fun and be more authentic.


Me: Soon after, you landed roles in the films 'Night of the Cannibals' and 'Poetic.' What do you remember about being onset filming these movies?
SH: That is difficult to get blood AKA corn syrup with red dye out of your clothes!  It was awesome! Both were amazing experiences and on the set I learned how to do FX make-up and editing.

Me: You also played the lead in the short 'Legacy of the Masque.' Did to the demands of the role, did you find it testing your skills as an actress compared to your previous roles?
SH: I really enjoyed this role and it allowed me to display other talents. In college, I was trained in unarmed fighting so I enjoyed doing this film.

Me: As well, you've also worked with filmmaker Jonathan Moody on several of his projects 'Super Scary Slumber Party' and the upcoming 'Supernatural Assassins.' What about his style keeps you working with him?
SH: I adore working with Jonathan Moody. He always keeps it fresh, new and exiting. When I am on the set with him it’s always a pleasure and his ideas as a filmmaker are fresh with a twist. Jonathan thinks out of the box and as a director, producer and writer, he has it all.   

Me: Beyond these projects, what else are you working on that you'd like to let our readers know about?
SH: I have few opportunities that I am looking into at the moment with film. Covid, brought out the writer in me again and I am continuously practicing my craft. Lately, I have been making people laugh while stuck inside. Comedic relief has brought joy into a stressful year.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
SH: I would say, “Just be the girl who followed her dreams and go for it!”

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments