WiHM Special - Sarah Schultz


An accomplished make-up artist, cosplayer and actress, Sarah Schultz has come into the genre offering some impressive work within the scene in several projects in a wide range of roles in front of and behind the scenes. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her initial interest in the genre, her early work in the scene and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Sarah Schultz: Hi Don! Thank you for interviewing me! I was young, almost a teenager. I had always been into Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Monsters (which my Grandparents told me I wasn't allowed to watch it but I did anyway). My first actual film was Jaws. Still to this day, I could watch the first film and never get bored. I watched it on repeat and even played by myself like I was on the ocean hunting Bruce in my living room.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
SS: I was into Sci-Fi and Spooky movies. I played with Barbies, but I loved the weird stuff. Jaws was the gateway to Halloween and The Exorcist.

Me: What was the initial inspiration to get into the industry? Were you initially attracted to a specific aspect that appealed to you?
SS: I was interested in becoming an actor at age 15. The fun in make-believe and cameras rolling was exciting to me. Possibly being an accomplished actor and giving it my all, and possibly working with amazing talent was a push as well. I wanted to be able to express myself differently than others, and what better way than acting? I started runway modeling at local malls at age 16, then progressed into attending two different acting schools and graduating in my early 20's.

Me: An accomplished cosplay artist, what drew you towards this aspect of the business? Who were some of your influences to get started in your career?
SS: Well, first off, thank you for considering me accomplished. :) That means a lot to me! I met Josh, aka Tha Wikid One, through photography. I hired him as my photographer for a photoshoot to update my portfolio when I moved permanently to Scottsdale. Photography became something special to us because it brought us together.  His mind is so creative, so intelligent. The wheels are always turning. He literally is the brain of our projects. The first cosplay shoot we did was based on Dexter. He created the setup, from top to bottom. He got me into the show and now I'm obsessed. :) The shoot was featured on Serial Killers Ink website, and my victim, piercer and adult star Afton Marie, were dubbed Murder Chicks. I love playing dress-up and becoming TV or movie icons, especially if I nail the look/scenes! My biggest influences? Sheri Moon Zombie, Jennifer Nangle, and Scout Taylor Compton. Scout and Jenn I have had the honor of working with. Sheri is a goal!!


Me: What are some of the tricks and styles you’ve practiced as a result?
SS: Well, acting school honestly was a waste of time. Sure, I picked up some tips, but when you have a passion and love for something, it comes naturally.  I watch movies, I watch my favorite actors, that's how I study. I have worked with people that I admire, and they have led me down the road of success.

Me: Initially starting as an actress on the shorts “Friday the 13th: Legacy” and “Bloodbath on 4th Avenue,” how did you get involved with these projects? What did you do to stay in character while on-set?
SS: I got involved in Legacy and Bloodbath due to Mad Monster Arizona, a Horror convention based out of Los Angeles. I won Miss Scarizona, and was married to Josh by the legendary Sid Haig in full Captain Spaulding gear and character in May 2017. I was approached in person and via Facebook regarding both films, asking to be the Final Girl in both soon after the con was over. Josh and I had known Candice (Bloodbath on 4th Ave) from her work with The Corpse Crew, and a music video we did previously as Zombies with our daughters, Khloe and Lyrica. My trick for staying in character is to BE the character. I was Brooklyn. I was Jessica. I get a background on the character, I want to know their story. If I don't have one, I create one. :)

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
SS: During Bloodbath on 4th Ave, I had that delicious chocolate mint blood on myself, that literally stayed on due to the Arizona heat. We filmed in late Summer. After being "knocked out" by the monster in the film, I had some friendly visitors, ants, that decided to attach themselves to my back and I had to hold still because I was supposed to be unconscious. I did it! Lol. I worked with Jenn Nangle on her latest Halloween Special last September. This is neither odd nor funny but shows how much of a family we are with each other. I call them "The Queen's Crew". Hunter Johnson, Charles Chubdula, Richard Trejo, Lara Jean, Reyna and her husband Paul, we are all family and they welcomed Josh and myself with open arms and an experience every time we shoot together. We love going out to Cali and enjoying the beaches and weather, but seeing the crew is always a good time. :)

Me: You and your husband own your own production company, Mort House Films. Where did the inspiration come from to start your own company? What do you hope to accomplish with it?
SS: Josh actually created Mort House Films. The name, the logo, the Facebook group we have. He is the Rob Zombie to my Sheri. We love Horror. We love the genre. We continue to support Indie filmmakers, men and women. We love seeing the up-and-comers, we love the film festivals. Yes, mainstream Horror is amazing, but seeing your peers so excited to direct or write a film and put it out there for the world to see, is priceless. We hope to collab with other independent film companies and artists. We hope to make films that people enjoy, and if you already do, continue to. Submit your ideas!


Me: More importantly, you and your husband were involved in the true first quarantine-shot project, “Dark Web: Mystery Box.” How did the concept for this come together? How much involvement did you have with the rest of the production team bringing it to life?
SS: We LOVED shooting Dark Web: Mystery Box. Granted we did not work face to face on set with the other talent, but we became close. Tony Newton with Vestra Pictures based out of the U.K., wanted Josh and myself to be ourselves in the film, our Youtube Personalities, The Haunted Honeymooners. We did not have a script, just improvised. The film was dubbed as the first movie made in isolation by Lettrboxd. We submitted and he watched some of our episodes and loved it! Dark Web was also Mort House Films first movie in partnership with Vestra Pictures. You can basically say the film is Mort House's baby. Thanks to Tony Newton! We all shot our parts and sent them to Tony. Josh and Tony worked together on the editing process.

Me: With a cast of experienced and talented indie actors, how'd you settle on the cast getting involved in the film?
SS: Tony chose who was in the film, and did a great job at it.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
SS: Amityville Hex should be coming out this year, that is another film by Tony Newton shot in isolation. We are starting our Indiegogo for The Sawyer Family this year, another Mort House Films production. :) I had a custom-made Baby Firefly dress (House of 1000 Corpses) made as well by the talented Ama Lea based out of California who works with the likes of Danielle Harris, which will be my next cosplay.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
SS: My advice is worry about you, not the next person. If you sit there watching and creepin' on what so-and-so is doing, that is you wasting time that you can better yourself and further yourself. Also, praising someone else will not dampen your shine. Be proud of your peers, not petty.

Thank you Don!

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments