WiHM Special - Sarah Schoofs


An emerging actress in the indie scene, Sarah Schoofs is building a fantastic catalog of appearances and titles in the genre as she offers up plenty of evidence to back up the claim the more projects she signs onto. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about geting into the industry, her early work and recently-released projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Sarah Schoofs: My first horror feature was ‘Gut.’ I was incredibly fortunate to land this role which inevitably initiated my snowball into the wonderful world of indie horror.   

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
SS: I wasn’t allowed to watch MTV or The Simpsons growing up, but it was TOTALLY ok to watch Terminator, Alien & Predator…. The Dark Crystal was the one that really scarred me though.  

Me: What was the initial inspiration to becoming an actress? What aspect about this area of the industry appealed to you?
SS: The human condition is fascinating. To explore the motivations, rationalizations, insecurities & depravities of different characters in different settings with a different group of brilliantly talented artists making me look better than I actually am?   I still suffer from imposter syndrome...  I cannot believe I am paid to play pretend... It’s a beautiful thing. I do not at all take it for granted.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
SS: I prefer darker characters that ‘seem’ like a functioning human being in society, because aren’t we all?

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
SS: I’ve played someone experiencing a complete mental breakdown. I have been possessed; I have possessed other people. I’ve been shot, hit by a car, stabbed & raped. I have also navigated an alien invasion & terrible dates in separate films with mostly the same cast (because horror loves using people they know). Every short film has informed my process going forward & has made me a better actor. The shorts are also a better networking tool. *IF* you are lucky enough to be cast in a good short with a good director, you will likely make the rounds at the film festivals where you see all of your people like a family reunion 10 times a year.


Me: Your first genre effort, Gut, saw you play Lily, one of the leads. What do you remember of your time filming?
SS: I was utterly terrified & very green.  It was my first feature, and it was my first time doing a solo scene with an entire film set staring me down. I messed up so many takes & the understanding that I was extending every crew member’s day per fu*k-up made me even more nervous. Elias was incredibly kind & did his best to calm my nerves. It will never be lost on me how fortunate I was to have this as my first feature. The professionalism & talent on the set informed me of the level of professionalism I should expect from every project going forward.  I wish more new actors could be as fortunate.

Me: After this film, you've also landed roles in several other indie and non-genre films. What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
SS: Yes, I believe you are referring to ‘Meme.’ I played the lead, Jennifer. This movie is close to my heart as I had an immediate connection to the writer/director (Sean Mannion) & had the opportunity to watch the film shift & evolve over time into what it is now today. This project was the first time I was essentially ‘carrying’ the movie, as I was in every scene but one. If people weren’t digging me, the movie would fail. Being aware of that fact was terrifying. Now knowing the final product, I am obsessed with Sean’s creative vision & brilliant editing in post. One of the big take-aways was that the actor, no matter how large of a part in a movie, is simply a small piece in the huge machine that is a feature film.

Me: As well, you played a lead role in the dark fantasy/genre effort, 'Ayla.' What initially appealed to you to play the role? What was it like working with genre icons Dee Wallace and Tristan Risk for an extended shoot?
SS: Ayla is one of the most beautiful films I have ever made. This was my second film with writer/director, Elias. I never had any scenes with Dee, and just a few with Tristan, though I did spend almost all of the time offset with her. Tristan is absolutely LOVELY. Her ability to create such a brilliant character with zero dialogue was masterful.


Me: Your next major genre role, in the vampire film 'Theresa and Allison,' saw you play the title character. Also portraying the character later on in the '21st Century Demon Hunter' series, what about the character appealed to you to resurrect her?
SS: Allison is by far the most fun character I have ever played.  Imagine the worst human being you have ever known, and somehow contort that terrible creature into an adorable manipulative sexy flirt who is just a girl who likes to have fun. Who wouldn’t want to resurrect her over and over again? 

Me: As this brought you in touch with Charles Lincoln to cast you in 'Bishop’s Cove,' what appealed about the character of Karen in the film that attracted you to play her?
SS: WELL….  Stepping off of my last answer regarding Allison, I had convinced Charles I was capable of portraying a terrible person so convincingly, he had me submit a self-tape to prove to him I can convey “loving and caring” on film…. I am not making this up. Ask him.  

I also have a horror love history with Emily McKinley Hill (Back Road) where we made out half-naked covered in VATS of blood, with a human head on the kitchen table, while a dude was getting chainsawed & his innards were spraying on us. We’ve been through it all…. There is no way I would pass up making out with Emily again. It’s what we do.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
SS: Everyone was amazing. So many brilliant women on set. Everyone brought their own personality & contribution to the scenes. I believe Charles absolutely notifies actors before casting as to what type of movie he is making, so everyone was chill. Honestly, there should be more documentaries of behind-the-scenes of horror films. I think people outside of horror believe horror sets are far darker than they actually are. We are all a bunch of super dork goofy goofs. (Most horror folk will back me up on this.)

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
SS: The best quote an actor has ever said to me before a sex scene:  “Please do not get offended for whatever does, or does not happen”…. Totally fair.

This is honestly a terribly difficult question. I think back to every single film I have been on & all I can think about is the cast & crew erupting into laughter on any given day. I would say that this question essentially is all *good* film sets & if it’s not, maybe you aren’t working on the right set.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
SS: - Cameo: REALLY excited about this film. We *nearly* shot the complete proof of concept short prior to the pandemic. One of the most difficult & rewarding films I have ever had the privilege of working on & cannot wait to see what comes next!
- Macgregor’s Medal: This beautiful little short-turned-feature is filled with so many people I adore…. The most experimental film I have ever been a part of an Alex continues to surprise me with the twists & turns.
- Bishop’s Cove: I have some intense scenes coming up and am really excited to dig deep!  They just released the trailer and I cannot wait to see the final product!
- Bastille Day: The Theresa & Allison prequel.  I cannot say much, but I know this is going to be a blast to film.  Anticipate more debauchery.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
SS: I landed solidly into the horror genre before more mainstream outlets deemed it ‘socially acceptable.’ I was given the advice from industry professionals to “avoid horror,” or do not put horror credits on your resume if you wanted to “further your career.” I didn’t understand it at the time, because I knew the films I had done were award-winning, brilliantly directed & masterfully edited with insane cinematography & a damn fine score to boot. My message to actors contemplating the horror genre: I only work as much as I do BECAUSE of horror. They are the most supportive, uplifting positive group of filmmakers in the industry. They are kind. They are willing to support & elevate talent that is promising, regardless of their Instagram following.  They are artists to the core & you will feel at home & never look back.

To follow her career, check out her official website:

For an even better idea of her talents, check out her official demo reels, for Drama:

And Comedy:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments