WiHM Special - Lilian Mortis


Emerging onto the indie scene with a vengeance, actress/model/dancer Lilian Mortis has come onto the scene rather recently but has secured plenty of attention and acclaim in a short amount of time with numerous credits about to be released or announced in the months ahead. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk to her about her early dancing work, breaking into the industry and what to expect of her upcoming works.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you always into dark and scary imagery?
Lilian Mortis: Yes I was always curious about it and infatuated by the certain beauty of it.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
LM: Yeah you could see I was. Umm, all the Friday the 13th films, Nightmare on Elm Street Films, and especially the Child’s Play/Chucky films lol. I love all the work from Full Moon Productions and all the cult classics lol



Me: As you're mostly known for your burlesque performances, how did that come about? What are some special tricks you've worked into your performances over time?
LM: Oh, man I’ve always loved the art and beauty of burlesque and growing up in Michigan in a small town I only saw it through movies. And well I moved to LA about five years ago and started performing with my husband at his music concerts and from there I did my first burlesque performance as the grinch with the Damn Devillez my second year out here. From there I started working with Love & Lust Events/Swoon Entertainment and became a Featured Fetish Performer. And between doing both the different stage performances between the band and my fetish performances I started combining the two. I started practicing fire dancing, fire eating, and currently learning how to breathe fire.

I’ve also started learning grinding (wearing metal pieces on my body and use an angle grinder to shoot sparks at myself or fellow performers on stage). And I picked up a few sideshow stunts along the way so far including human blockhead (hammering of real nails into my nose without injuring myself and removing them) and staple game (using a real staple gun with real staples and having others staple Money to my flesh). Currently going to be practicing mental flossing (thin led strip through my nose out my mouth and using it like flossing) and Fox trap (sticking my hand into a real metal fox trap and letting it snap shut on my hand without injuring myself). I like to have fun with it.

Me: Does working with your husband in his band add an extra degree of excitement to the performances? Do you choreograph your routines or just go with the feel and flow of a particular show?
LM: I would think it does. Sometimes we choreograph the shows but most of the time I just go with it and the flow of the show.

Me: How has your relationship grown over your films together?
LM: Our relationship has grown a lot in the five years we’ve been together and I’ve lived out here. I help him write his music and he makes all my costumes and mixes for my performances and we perform together on stage. As well as between my films and his films coming out with writing his soundtracks together we’re loving it and loving the path we’re on together.

Me: As you've recently made the shift to acting, where did you get the urge to get into the business?
LM: Oh man, growing up I always knew I wanted to be an actress and Scream Queen. I wanted to play the killer and the victim. I wanted to play the evil villain and the hero and knew one place to make that happen was Hollywood. I always knew I wanted to be an all-around performer and actress.

Also the idea of being able to help my fellow artists heal through providing them divination readings or energy/chakra work and help inspire them as much as they have inspired me.

Me: With your first film being a role in Donald Farmer's "Cannibal Hookers," what was being on set like for your first film-role?
LM: O it was so much fun!! I had a blast. Originally I wasn’t aware I had a speaking role and was told when I showed up on set.. so I had to learn them quickly and then once I was on set it’s like a switch flipped and I was that character and nothing else existed except what was in front of me and I just lost myself into the role until they said cut and it was like snap into the person I was before lol it was a lot of fun.


Me: From there, you worked with James Balsamo in two films, "Killer Waves 2" and "Bite School 2." What was the experience like on these films compared to your first film?
LM: James is amazing to work with. So far we’ve filmed Killer Waves 2 still waiting to film Bite School 2: From Dusk till Bong. He has a few other fun projects going on currently. But it was so much fun working on set with him. For me, it just gets more fun each time. And I like the different characters I get to play in each role. It’s like being able to tap into different parts of myself through multiple universes and portray that person you know what I mean lol.

Me: You also have numerous projects in development, including Balsamo's latest "14 Ghosts." What can you tell us about the project and your role as Sheena?
LM: Honestly not a whole lot at the moment I’m sworn to secrecy lol

Me: Another of your upcoming projects is Pearry Teo's "Methuselah" as Sheila Labarre, what attracted you to this role?
LM: Honestly it was Pearry that reached out to me and asked me if I’d be interested. At first, I didn’t know it was a lead role, I was just excited to work with him because he was the one who directed and produced my newest horror film favorite The Assent. It wasn’t until after hanging out with him at a BBQ that he informed me it was a lead role in a SAG feature film! I about cried when he told me the opportunity he was giving me. And just the energy from hanging out with him and the in-depth discussions we’ve had made me even more secure with working with him not only on Methuselah but many more of his upcoming films.


Me: As well, you have prominent roles in the anthology "Seasons," "Christmas Slasher" and "Zombi VIII: Urban Decay." Are there any updates or info you can share with our readers about these efforts?
LM: Oh man let’s see... Seasons I’m going to playing in the part called “The Harvest” featuring Jeremy London and a few others. Christmas Slasher there’s not a whole lot I’m allowed to say but it’s going to be an unforgettable horror holiday movie and is going to be a classic to come. Zombi VIII: Urban Decay was a lot of fun. I enjoyed working with Dustin Ferguson, Noel Jason Scott, Shawn Phillips, And Geovanna Cassanova and the fact Dustin was kind enough to put me throughout the trailer was awesome and on the cover made my day. I’m easy to please lol

Me: Since even these aren't all the upcoming works of yours, do you find the busy schedule and workload to be a fun or exhausting experience? How do all these projects test your skills and evolution as an actress and performer?
LM: It can seem overwhelming at times but in the end, it’s always a lot of fun and I’m learning to space out my schedule better. I feel it drives me to be a better performer to constantly learn new tricks and stunts. And as being an actress I like the idea of being versatile and the idea of challenging myself to be someone I’m not and pushing myself out of my comfort zone.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
LM: Go for it. If you want to do it then do it! Don’t be ashamed to take the roles others don’t want as far as nudity embrace you’re inner goddess and shine girl. Be the hero, be the murderer, or be the victim all of them are fun. Screw what society thinks or says and be happy with who you are. We’re all Queen’s we all should lift each other up and rule together.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments