WiHM Special - Rebecca Lauren



An upcoming actress in the genre, Rebecca Lauren is slowly becoming one of the bigger names in the scene on the heels of a variety of roles showcasing her talents rather effectively. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting interested in acting, her early film roles and her work on the series 21st Century Demon Hunter among other films.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Rebecca Lauren: As a child, my parents introduced me to horror with Halloween. We always had these elaborate decorations and turned the house haunted. Eyes in the woods, fog machines, the works. You could hear spooky music and sounds coming from our house two streets away. Some kids were too scared to come and get candy. That and the costumes fascinated me.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
RL: When I was young I liked fantasy and sci-fi. My brother and I watched the Alien films, which scared me interested in the broad idea of horror. Tim Burton movies also helped hook me. Embarrassingly enough, I was beyond terrified of Edward Scissorhands. Something brilliantly creepy about that music took me for a real ride. The first movie I remember seeing that truly made me jump out of my pants is The Others. That film didn’t just leak into my nightmares, it fascinated me. Everything about it was beautiful... the lighting, the acting, and I still admire the way it drives such adrenaline-pumping moments without the use of gore.

Me: What was the initial inspiration to becoming an actress? What aspect of this area of the industry appealed to you?
RL: The stage. My grandmother took me to see Broadway shows starting in grade school. I fell in love. The singing, the costumes, the emotion. There is so much energy on a stage, I felt like I could just reach up and take a slice. In the third grade, we did this class production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I whipped out my best little British accent, swooped the role of Veruca Salt and never looked back. I knew then I wanted to perform for life.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
RL: I like variety. Anything wicked or psychotic specifically interests me. I prefer a character to an ingenue, a villain to a victim. Something outlandish, transformative perhaps. I also definitely like to play a flirtatious, vampy type.

Me: Having worked on several shorts and TV series early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
RL: Having started on the stage, some of the tricks I’ve learned have been purely technical...eyelines, maintaining continuity. Playing to a camera is much more intimate in performance. Everything you think or feel reads on a camera, you don’t have to express that so much with an outward physical flair. Working on indie short films you also learn all kinds of other random skills. Someone may ask you to apply SFX blood or even ask you to hold a boom mic.

Me: Initially appearing in a lead role for 'Night Out,' what about the character of Carrie appealed to you?
RL: In Drew Maxwell Weiss’ short thriller I was challenged with a unique opportunity of playing both a hunted victim and a vengeful haunting. The film is slasher-centric with a psychological revenge spin. Drew created this beautiful duality that was certainly appealing to me.

Me: How did you stay in the character’s mindset throughout the shoot? When you weren’t filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
RL: I usually create a playlist that helps me vibe the character and include songs that track the emotional journey or marks that I need to hit. That keeps me in character and in the zone. We filmed in this great house, a castmates house, that was a goldmine for oddities and ends. Everywhere you looked there was something more intriguing than the last. There was this vintage Casper doll with a pull that said weird, breathy catchphrases. I played with the doll and the other beauties of the house and with my imagination I used the location itself as a vehicle for my character and a way to pass the time.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
RL: We filmed this sequence where I’m non-stop screaming and crying by the stairs. We were filming for maybe ten minutes before the cops showed up at the front door.

Me: Your next genre effort, 'A Vampire’s Heartbreak,' saw you play Vera. What do you remember your time filming the short?
RL: Kevin and Matthew Forte created a cool Dracula-inspired project in which I got to play this seductive, cruel vampire vixen. I remember I had so much fun with my costume when my fangs weren’t falling out of my mouth. In all seriousness, working with the Forte brothers was great. They have a true passion for horror and that bleeds profusely into the energy on set. I enjoyed being able to play with a different character and getting to be a little physical with my acting.

Me: As well, you’ve joined up with Charles Lincoln for an appearance in the show '21st Century Demon Hunter' and the upcoming 'Bishop’s Cove.' What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaboration together?
RL: Charles and I have had quite a few special and memorable shoots, many in which I end up covered in fake blood or vomit or something. My favorite shoot we ever did was for an upcoming episode of 21st Century Demon Hunter. Charles built this prison set and we shot scenes including this intense one where my character Stephanie is in solitary confinement. And yes, covered in fake sweat. At this point in the series, Stephanie has reached the brink of insanity and is at her most vulnerable. She starts the show as an optimistic innocent and is now in a position where she is tempted by a demon to join darker forces. Filming this was so incredibly scary and also powerful for me as a performer. To play a scene where a character you have grown to love is stripped of humanity and so emotionally raw is almost an out-of-body experience and Charles helped me to shape that.

Me: Outside of these films, you've also landed roles in several other indie and non-genre films. What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
RL: I think playing in different genres helps me to maintain a more natural feel to my acting...I don’t get so stuck in a rut or in a cycle. I certainly hope to have more varied work so I can continue to learn and grow.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
RL: I’m excited to share that I’ve been taking dance classes to improve body awareness and build a better set of physical acting skills. I want to move with agility and prowess like a spider so I can really physically transform into a role.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
RL: Never let naysayers lead you astray, listen to your gut, confidence is key. I could use this message myself sometimes.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments