WiHM Special - Rachel Alig


Working on a wide array of projects in and out of the genre, actress Rachel Alig has moved within the industry playing a variety of roles ranging from comedies to drama and anything else in between. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month I talk with her about her early genre acting roles, her work on Verotika and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Rachel Alig: One of the first feature films I ever worked on was of the horror genre. I was cast as the lead in the film, Ghostline.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
RA: Oh my goodness. The horror genre was a total thrill for me as I was growing up. My friends and I spent many, many evenings staying up all night watching horror movies. I must say that the IT franchise is what really sucked me into this world, along with all of the Chuckie movies.

To this day, I am still terrified of clowns.

Me: What was the initial inspiration to get into the industry? Were you initially attracted to a specific aspect that appealed to you? 
RA: My interest in the entertainment industry came from my attraction to acting which drew upon my curiosity about the human experience. Ultimately, I was drawn to this business and continue to be so because of my love and appreciation for the art of acting. I have a burning desire to make others feel special and for me, acting allows me to do that by telling stories that belong to others that may not otherwise be told.

Me; Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What really attracts you to a specific role? 
RA: I really prefer playing characters who are emotionally unstable. It forces me to truly step outside of myself, and push my mental capacity. I love exploring the depths that these types of characters force you to navigate and the challenge this presents.

Me; Having studied through various studios or acting companies, what tools and skills did you acquire working on those that transferred to feature-film projects? 
RA: I have studied at a handful of acting schools throughout Los Angeles and have benefited exponentially. Each studio that I attended taught a different approach to acting which expanded my toolbox if you will. I find that these techniques can be used in various manners. Sometimes when I am filming, I need all of my skills to get in the correct headspace. Other times, I can select from my various methods and now know which one is best for different acting scenarios.

Me; With appearances in genre films like “Goddess of Love,” “Ghostline” and “Heavy Makeup,” what about your time on these projects stands out to you from shooting them? 
RA: Early in my career I was really just looking to work. Each and every job that I booked gave me the confidence and encouragement to continue on the path of an artist. From short films to commercials to web series, and all of the people who ever cast me, these allowed me to build enough belief in myself, that I’ve now been a working actress in LA for ten years.

Me; Compared to working on other genres, what difference, if any, can you tell from working on a genre film from other styles of films?
RA: My time on genre films has shown me how truly passionate storytellers and filmmakers can be. The love of the process propels these people into action and resourcefulness. When we see a story we believe in, we throw our hearts, our energy, and our time at it until it comes to fruition.


Me; Most recently, you appeared in the film “Verotika” as the lead in the segment The Face of Fear. How did you get involved in the project? 
RA: Yes, I played Verotika in the film, VEROTIKA. This film was directed by Glenn Danzig of the Misfits. The casting director reached out to me regarding the part. I submitted a video audition and within three days I was on set with Glenn!

Me; How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made? 
RA: The cast and crew treated Verotika like it was any other film project. They showed up, they did their job, and they adjusted when necessary.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members? 
RA: While playing Verotika I wore a wig the whole time. The first day, Glenn was not happy with the way it looked. So, he took a pair of scissors and started cutting the wig while it was on my head. He was very involved with all aspects of the film.

Me: What else are you working on, regardless of genre, that you'd like to share with our readers? 
RA: Currently, I am filming as the lead on a movie entitled, MIA, (I’m Mia :) ). The film is a comedy/horror and so well written! I’ve never done this specific genre and it has proven to be a total blast and challenging at the same time. Stephen Sprinkles and Scott Richards are the co-writers and co-directors of the project and they are truly special. They treat everyone on set equally and allow the entire process to be a collaboration. There is no hierarchy, just creativity.

Also, I star as the lead in a feature, FIRST BLUSH, which started streaming on February 2nd on a number of platforms including iTunes, Prime Video, Vudu, Google Play, and Youtube.

Me; Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time! 
RA: For the women already in the entertainment industry and for those aspiring to join us, I would just remind you of your worth. You are worthy of your voice, your opinion, your intelligence. You are worthy of holding any position on set, your capacity to lead, and your ability to say no. Know your worth so that you only work on the highest quality jobs with the highest quality fellow creators.

To stay up-to-date with her and her works, check out her official website;

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments