WiHM Special - Nora B. Peevy


An accomplished author and submissions reader for several companies, Nora B. Peevy is working her way through the industry as she contributes to various anthologies to build her career. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting interested in writing, her process for writing and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Nora Peevy: This might surprise some people, but I got accepted into graduate school for poetry in the late 90s. I am originally published as a poet. It was my intention to continue as a modern poet, but I found myself wanting to do more. Poetry was enjoyable, but it wasn’t my first love. Horror has been my first love ever since I read Pet Sematary by Stephen King in high school. The horror genre brought me more joy than poetry.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
NP: My father was not the greatest babysitter and had me watching Poltergeist and The Exorcist and other classics late at night. My mother wasn’t exactly pleased. I was terrified. I was raised on Disney, but I went to a slumber party in the sixth grade and watched the original Nightmare on Elm Street, which haunts me to this day. Just the idea of possibly dying in your dreams creeps me out. That’s the first horror movie I watched and I didn’t like it at all, but now I do. I didn’t really get into the genre until high school with my girlfriends at slumber parties and watching a lot of the Stephen King miniseries on television with my dad. This was after I had read Pet Sematary and discovered I loved being scared. I watched every horror movie I could rent from Blockbuster. I have fond memories of browsing the racks with my best friend for anything serious or schlocky.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
NP: Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Edgar Allan Poe, Clive Barker, H.P. Lovecraft, Shirley Jackson, Richard Matheson, these are just a few of the first authors I read. I haven’t really been influenced by anyone’s style, but I read a lot of King’s interviews when I was younger. One piece of advice stuck with me; tell a good story. I try to tell a good story. If I can’t keep myself entertained while I am writing, then I know the story is dead and won’t interest my audience.

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
NP: My third-grade teacher, Mrs. Krahn, taught creative writing. I was hooked from the moment I started. I wrote a story she presented at The National Teachers’ Conference. I was very proud. It was an adventure story with my beloved stuffed animal, Dog. It never occurred to me I could be a writer when I grew up, but since then, I haven’t stopped. 

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
NP: I definitely am NOT a plotter. I usually draw my inspiration from conversations with friends and family. The “what if” questions are commonly a starting point for me. I also draw inspiration from reading short story collections. They relax me and get the creative juices flowing in a direction I might not normally pursue otherwise. Sometimes I look at bestiaries and find a cool creature I want to write about or I see an interesting article on the internet. I don’t have a set writing schedule. I write when I have a story I need to get out of my head. Writing is like breathing for me. It’s something I just do. I have stories to tell, so I tell them. 

Me: Having contributed to various anthologies early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future projects?
NP: There are a few skills I acquired; reading contracts; being flexible and accommodating with editors while not compromising the integrity of your story; how to write a proper submission letter and format your manuscript; accepting rejection as a learning tool to improve my art; story pacing; character development; writing believable dialogue; being gracious and thanking editors and other writers for their time and help; meeting deadlines. These are just a few important ones off the top of my head.

Me: What is the general process for getting involved in these projects?
NP: I’ve found networking with other writers leads to great friendships and opportunities. Also, being able to work in publishing, people will see you are professional, courteous, and dependable. Opportunities arise from these relationships too. I use Duotrope to look for open calls and also belong to a few Facebook submissions groups. Submit, submit, submit. Put yourself out there. Let people see what you can do and they might invite you to be a guest writer for an anthology or to edit a project, but you have to earn it. It doesn’t just happen overnight. And you won’t earn it, if you don’t keep writing and submitting.

Me: As well, you’re also a submissions reader working for several companies. How did you become involved in this aspect of the industry?
NP: I was approached by a woman editor in the industry. It was a great opportunity and I jumped at it. Since then, more opportunities have arisen by word of mouth.

Me: As a submissions reader, what are some of your regular duties and tasks when looking at a new work?
NP: When there is an open call, I start reading as early in the season as possible because I know we will get a flood of submissions. I read every submission, but I try to read the ones that came in first so authors don’t have a long turn-around time if their work isn’t accepted. I read the submissions and if I like them, I pass them along to the editor of the publication for final review. It’s exciting to discover new authors. Keeping good records is essential to submissions reading too. We have spreadsheets set up where we document dates read and decisions made, etc.

Me: What has been the more unusual experience you’ve ever encountered working this way?
NP: Sometimes I get to read amusing cover letters.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
NP: I have a short story collection out for submission. And this month, I have a short story on a podcast for Women in Horror Month, the exact date is TBD. I am currently working on a science fiction story I have signed a contract for later this year, and there is another opportunity floating out there in the ether that I can’t talk about. I also am working on my second collection of short stories and flushing out one short into a novel. Another open call submissions season is starting in March too, so I will be reading submissions quite soon.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
NP: My advice is to write what you want to want and not worry about your gender. Take risks. Write anything you want. If you are a good writer, you will be published. Be persistent, keep working. Remember to be courteous and professional. Always read your contracts. Don’t enter any contests you have to pay fees to participate in. But most of all, have fun when you write. Be true to your voice. Be true to the story inside you. And network! It really helps land editor jobs and other opportunities.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments