WiHM Special - Mariam Draeger


An accomplished producer and content creator, Mariam Draeger is responsible for helping to highlight the genre in various mediums either through her production company Headcinema Productions or working on the Grimm Exchange web show. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the genre, working on various productions and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Mariam Draeger: Thanks for having me! I think I’ve always been interested in weird things, but professionally I started working in horror three years ago. To be honest, I don’t know why it took me so long to understand you actually could make a career out of it and how well I fit into the horror industry.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
MD: Horror films were something I stayed away from until I was about 17, because my imagina2on, nightmares and sleep paralysis were so bad that I believed films intended to scare you would be phenomenally worse. Then I pretty much watched “Ju-on: The Grudge”, “SAW” and “The Exorcist” within a month and learned how much storytelling really went into these films beyond simple scares. Looking back, I realized that a lot of the stories I read, films and series I watched were, in fact, horror but labeled child friendly at the time.

Where did it start? Probably not even with films but books. I spent a lot of time in the library reading up on weird history and biology, which was often much worse than most films I watch today. The fictional stories I was drawn to, were often supernatural or spooky shorts. “The Green Ribbon” from the book “In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories” disturbed me for years, but I kept coming back to stare at the pictures and read the twist. That was probably the first bit of fiction that made me want to feel uncomfortable un2l the feelings subsided.

Me: As one of the founders of the studio Headcinema Productions, where did the inspiration to start the company come from? How did you settle on the team involved with you?
MD: Before Headcinema, I had been working in the music and events industry, and whilst I was always grateful for being able to make money in a tough business, I hadn’t yet felt like I had found my true calling. Funnily enough, I assembled the team of people I trusted (and liked) and created the brand first, and only then did I start travelling to introduce myself at horror specific events. Between the horror industry being full of quirky, smart, tolerant people, me having years of experience in the entertainment industry and me being aware at that age of who I was and what my network and resources were capable of, the foundation was built quickly. Now horror is completely my home.

Me: What are some of the services you provide for your clients through your work?
MD: If it’s horror related and I’m on board with the concept, we can provide it. It can be film or music production, branding and design or events. Something new we’ve started doing is giving extensive merchandise consultation and design, because many filmmakers are starting to strive to create additional revenue streams to their films. T-shirts and bottle openers just don’t cut it anymore, so we have started project-specific consultation and use our partners to create everything from eco-friendly physical merch to campaign boosting video games to holographic live promo shows. It’s cool stuff and not many companies have the interna2onal network we do.

Me: What are some of the more memorable experiences you've been afforded through the company?
MD: One of my favourite gigs to this day was an installation for the Liverpool Tattoo Con. It was a Horror Zen Room. There were sofas set up in a circle. The room was completely dark and the middle of the room had a pillar that was lit up in colours that changed with the audio. The audio was a depiction of the most frequently dreamt nightmares. Additionally, the room was filled with a special mix of essential oils set free through aroma diffusors. The reaction of the people coming out were priceless. I’d say 15% came out relaxed, 15% tense and 50% came out relaxed and tense and explained they didn’t understand how that was possible. “Horror and Zen don’t work together”, they said. Well, I SHOWED YOU! *laughs maniacally*

Me: In addition, you're also involved with a web-show known as The Grimm Exchange in coordina2on with Grimmfest. How did that collaboration come together?
MD: I’ve known the Grimmfest guys for years now and regularly do Q&As and panels for them. Of that size, it has the nicest team and best selection as far as horror film festivals in the UK go. During lock-down, I generally wanted to put together a team for this passion project. There just wasn’t a decent online horror entertainment news format out there. Once they launched their Youtube Channel “Grimmfest TV”, we got to chatting and quickly understood how a collaboration would be mutually beneficial.

Me: How did the concept for the show come together? What do you do to put together a new episode?
MD: What’s most amazing to me, is that the team and guests are distributed across the globe. On an average day, I’m communicating with five different time zones. The magic of technology, I tell you. So we delegate in team mee2ngs and work individually on our tasks from home.

The concept came from the fact that this show didn’t exist yet. I wanted to be able to catch up on horror news in a fun kind of way. I wanted to know more about indie horror creators. I wanted to know more about films, but also video games, comics, books. I wanted to learn something. Then I poked around and found more people who wanted the same things and became co-host, co-producer, editorial team, video editor and social media team. We have so much fun making these episodes. I think you get hints of it when watching the show.

Me: What do you hope to accomplish with the future of the show?
MD: What we really hope for, is to shine a light on independent creators and unsung horror heroes. With every new viewer, we grow our platform for them. As fans, we don’t all have tons of money to spend on every film, every piece of merchandise, every convention at some distant location, but we can still support by watching shows like this where creators introduce themselves and above all want to be heard and appreciated. That way we can discover previously unknown artists and become fans of our new favourites. In short, play your part, watch “The Grimm Exchange”.

Me: Beyond these projects, what else do you want to mention for our readers that you’re working on?
MD: The best would be to follow me on Instagram @lady_mariam_michael. I try to post about my projects regularly, but that by no means means daily, so manage your expectations. *laughs* The projects I, as a producer, am currently ironing out the funding for, sadly can’t be spoken of at this time.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
MD: First, do your job and do it well. The best way to convince people with an outdated mindset that factors like gender, sexuality, race, cultural heritage etc. shouldn’t matter, is by getting on with it and letting them see for themselves that perhaps they judged too quickly. It’s important to acknowledge the obstacles you may face, but don’t let it turn into fear that pushes you into the victim role. Also don’t waste your energy on people who demand you prove something to them. Find a team that runs with you and doesn’t have to be pulled forward.

Second, despite what some people may say, like the people you work with and work with people you like. If as a person you wouldn’t want to share a drink with them off the clock, don’t choose to be with them on a project just because they have status or resources you don’t. Obviously, you aren’t always in a position to choose, but the moment you are, choose well.

Third, be nice. Don’t read negative intent in what people tell you. Don’t start online wars. Don’t fall into female misogyny. Do support others. Do encourage. Do experience the creations of your peers and share them. Also, men as a gender aren’t generally the enemies of women. We as the human race need to evolve to a kinder society. Everyone who wants that is cool.

And last but not least, always, always, always listen to what people tell you. Regardless of whether they’re more or less experienced, successful or popular than you, listen. You still have to confidently analyze what they’ve said and decide what advice matches the path you’re choosing for yourself, but that’s something you figure out after the fact. Initially, you listen.

To follow her studio Headcinema Productions, follow their official website:

To get an idea of The Grimm Exchange, check out a sample episode:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments