WiHM Special - Luna Wolf


An emerging name in the UK indie scene, actress Luna Wolf has developed several impressive credits in the genre working on various projects not just created by her studio but for others as well. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about the initial start in the business, working with Mycho Films on their projects and her studio Disturbia Films.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Luna Wolf: Hello, and thank you so much for asking me to join in I first got into horror movies when I was a kid, I remember seeing the Alien poster on my cousins' wall, I begged my dad to let me watch it but he wouldn’t, then I saw the metal special edition of The Terminator and this time I literally wouldn’t let it go… I kept plaguing him for sooo long that he finally agreed to let me watch it on one condition. I watched the making of first. So I did, and actually I loved the making of more than the actual film itself. I didn’t know it at the time but this would be my first step into making movies. Since then I saw Alien and other scary moments in movies was Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Arc, My dad always said, plastic and wax… which got my interests int SFX Make up too! Hooked young is all I can say.

Me: Where did you get the urge to get into acting? Who were some of your inspirations to get into the industry?
LW: Since my initiation to the genre my brother and I always play-acted scenes from movies, we even made up horror scenarios as we went. I remember this one time in primary school we got a whole bunch of kids to make believe the playground was being invaded by aliens (war of the worlds) it was so epic, we had invisible guns and kids were playing dead left right and centre. Maybe that’s why I enjoy LARPing now haha!

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
LW: Oh gosh, there is… I love the idea of playing the unkillable demon bad guy that keeps getting stabbed and shot and just keeps coming back again and again. Though I haven’t had the chance for that yet I hope to someday. That and perhaps a role where you don’t realize it was me, kinda like Glenn Close in Hook. My mind was blown when my sister from another mister told me it was her! :)

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
LW: Short films tend to be zero budget and I haven’t had an abundance of volunteers for spare hands near where I live, so self-shooting, lighting, acting, directing, SFX Makeup and editing are the skills I have developed over a tonne of years, most of my work hasn’t made the light of day. But I can say I am self-taught in many aspects of filmmaking. It can be both a blessing because I can get pretty much all aspects of a film done myself, but also a curse because it is MY way of working and not the MAINSTREAM way. I have so much more to learn and I cannot wait to be the least skilled person in a room again. I mean, I cannot wait to not be the only person in a room again! Haha!


Me: Known primarily for your character Amber Hart in the Mycho universe starting with "Slasher House 2," how did you become involved with the studio? What specifically about Amber appeals to you to keep coming back to the studio?
LW: It was completely by chance that I was available to shoot Slasher House 2. Mycho had contacted me for the role but at the time I was busy with another project that ultimately fell into the pits of the cutting room floor for one reason or another that I will not get into here haha, and I thought all was lost over SH2 so I didn’t think of it. Then Anna and Mj got back in touch, their actress for Amber pulled out! The universe wanted me in this movie, and who was I to say no… We Skyped together and the rest was history. I see Mycho as my family now and we have SSOOOOOO much fun on set I will always come back to play amber as long as the character keeps coming back.

Amber has so much to play with, so much in her personality that has yet to be unleashed, like anyone who has been through a tough life she has a thick skin but also a very soft and vulnerable side to her that I would love to dig more into. SH3 is going to be huge!

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
LW: Oh gosh, shooting with Mycho is never a dull day, the cast and crew are a big family, always looking out for each other, especially in hard times, I’ve been known to pop by onset with doughnuts just to say hello and help out on set. I love being around those guys! They’re so inspiring and their drive to tell stories in a visual art form is beautiful! 

Me: You've also been heavily involved doing multiple roles in several shorts "Things That Go Bump in the Night," "Anxie" and "Critical Perfection" for your studio Disturbia Films. How did the creation of the studio come about?
LW: Disturbia Films came about when I wanted a platform to practice my skills on as a portfolio, I have a design background and I decided to teach myself basic animation at the time, I tried my hand at a brand opening screen for what I was learning at the time, Disturbia Films was the place holder text I chose and it stuck. The brand intro for Disturbia Films hasn’t changed since!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
LW: Apart from getting myself into shape for a role I’m playing when the lockdown is over, I have enrolled myself into the British Stunt Academy and am looking at following a path that’s more action-based in movies, fast things make me super happy, not to mention fire! I am gearing up for a couple of self-shot short movies too, though the wind has to be blowing in the right direction for that just yet… haha

Though since lockdown is restricting certain things for me, I have launched my own gaming YouTube channel. It’s mostly a bit of fun to keep me occupied while the world has a hard reset. But who knows, maybe it’ll pick up! :)

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
LW: There's a huge amount I’d say to other women wanting to get into horror, if you can learn to make a movie all on your own that’s a really good way to start a portfolio. It will also help you understand to an extent what’s going on and why…

Find listings for non-paid indie movies on places like StarNow, but always do your research on who you are getting involved with, check references and other work they have done.

Naked roles off the bat are RED FLAGS! At least for me, (yeah I know SH2 has nudity but I made sure I did my research on Mycho and it was very dignified for me.

Ultimately if it feels wrong you need to be comfortable with saying no, and NO really means NO!

Have fun with it, be aware that everyone on set are humans, we are all equal, the sound guy is just as important as the director… the runner is a very important person too! Everyone is a cog in a wheel of a machine and if one breaks we all suffer.

Whatever your calling, if you want it hard enough you can make it happen. Don’t give up on a dream because we only have one life.

And finally, it’s NEVER too late to start! No matter what age you are, if you want to make movies or be in them, go do it!

I BELIEVE IN YOU!

To check out Disturbia Films, follow their official site:
And to follow her on Twitch, check out her channel:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments