WiHM Special - Kino McFarland


A multifaceted actress, writer, director and performer, Kino McFarland has managed to bring her talents to several formats as she makes her name in a variety of styles. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her past films, the filming of the upcoming Gone with the Dead and other upcoming works.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Kino McFarland: I always leaned toward the darker-styled things and supernatural monsters, but I also had a ton of nightmares from every little thing as a kid. If my family had a horror film on, or even just X-Files, I would tend to hide behind the couch and regret it later. My brother and sister always tried to get me to behave by saying Chucky was under my bed. At some point, I think I grew to like being scared. I can’t pinpoint an exact moment because I feel like it’s always been a part of me.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
KM: I was totally into genre films growing up. I was mostly into martial arts action, specifically films with Jean Claude Van Damme (Lionheart and Bloodsport were my defaults), but I also leaned toward science fiction. As most things gave me nightmares, it took me a while to find the horror films I really liked and chose to watch while not hiding behind the couch. Nightmare on Elm Street was the first that really hooked me. I was flipping channels on the weekend and I stopped on Elm Street. I got a little scared, then changed the channel, but then curiosity got the better of me and I flipped back. This went on enough times that it drove my brother to ask me to just cut it out and stay on Nightmare on Elm Street. Aside from that, my sister got me hooked on horror-comedy with Once Bitten because she knew my love of vampires and Jim Carrey. My mom rented The Lost Boys for my friends and I, and that one was it. I was hooked forever. 

Me: When did you initially discover an interest in moviemaking? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
KM: I was 8-years-old when I discovered that it was something people could just do. My brother was friends with my art teacher’s son, who had a birthday party. One of the kids ended up not being able to go because he got sick, and it turned out that I was about his size. So my art teacher asked my mom if I could stay for the party and be in their video. She and her son had written a medieval dragon and knight film for all the kids to play. They built a castle and everything. It turned out that I got to fill the role of the dragon. That day was so much fun for me and since then, I was always trying to find ways I could get to do something like it again. I just love the film and entertainment industry largely in part because it’s where I feel like I am free to be myself without severe expectations to conform to a sense of social normality.

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
KM: I’m the stereotypical, “I like to write and direct” person. I’ve always been into writing, creating stories and worlds. I’m not really happy just being a cog in a machine, but with that said, I just love the environment of being on set, so you’ll often find me filling any role that needs doing. It’s all education.

Me: Upon the release of your first shorts 'Hangry' and 'The Beasts of the Earth,' what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
KM: Both Hangry and The Beasts of the Earth were for the 48 Hour Film Project, so they allowed me to test my limits with extreme deadlines. It turns out that I don’t have many limits when it comes to film. I can figure out how to make anything work.

Me: When writing a new project, what's a fall-back tactic that you're always able to draw inspiration from?
KM: I read a lot. If I’m stuck on a screenplay, I typically force inspiration and motivation by reading a good book. When it comes to visuals, though, I always go to music videos. Videos from Lord of the Lost never fail to get me in the mood to create.

Me: Carrying on with the shorts 'Declawed,' 'Skin' and 'Witch Hunt,' are there any unique stories about the conception of these shorts?
KM: Declawed and Skin are both parts of an ongoing project called The Averted Anthology, which is a series of micro-shorts that portray animal rights issues in experimental horror films. I always feel like people ignore the things we put animals through just because we don’t speak the same language, and in that case, it makes people feel like we are so much better and more worthy of dignity and life. Animals communicate largely by body language, which is why in these films, there is no dialogue. It was my hope to be able to portray these issues in a cinematic way that helped people understand how animals could feel. 

Witch Hunt was an experiment I wanted to do with mobile filmmaking and showcase my love of witchcraft. It was originally created for a contest, but I was busy with other projects at the time and the contest stopped being a priority. We shot it later when time freed up and when I started editing it, I was contacted by Angelspit to see if we could work together. I asked if they wanted to compose a score for Witch Hunt. They agreed and the final edit of the film was inspired a lot by Zoog’s input. The score was also released on the album Bang Operative under the title “Hexenjäger” and led to us working together on a music video project for their latest album, The Ignorance Cartel.

Me: As well, you're contributing to the anthology 'Gone with the Dead the Movie.' How did you become involved with the project?
KM: I was involved in the earlier portions of the film. Justin W. Smith contacted me on Facebook and it seemed like a fun project, so I agreed to help rewrite and finish part of the script. From there, I was asked to help direct. 

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
KM: Everyone was just having fun. I didn’t get to know most of the cast and crew as well as I would have liked, but we were always laughing and having a good time. Those are the best sets to be on.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
KM: We were shooting a sex scene in another room and I was out by the monitor, giving some directions from there. Where the monitor was placed had a low and angled ceiling. Naturally, after warning everyone about how dangerous it was, I smacked my head on it really hard and had to leave the scene up to Justin while I sat on the couch, trying to make sure I didn’t forget who I was.

Me: With the project being caught up in the state of the world the previous year, are there any updates to provide about its potential release?
KM: I think I was brought onto the film in 2017. A lot of wild circumstances happened in everyone’s lives making parts of the film change hands a lot, including having the production move from Washington to California. I haven’t been up to date too much on its progress since it moved out of Washington, but I did recently see a behind-the-scenes trailer and talked to Justin a bit. It is moving along and sounds like once people are really able to safely work together again, it should wrap quickly. I think this film just turned out to be more of a beast than anyone expected. Sometimes that happens. I’m just glad Justin hasn’t given up on it.

Me: Beyond filmmaking, what do you do to engage your artistic spirit?
KM: I write a lot of poetry and fiction. I am also a sideshow performer (under the names Kino B. Demented and Hannah Bel). Since I can’t do live shows right now, I am spending a lot of time revisiting other arts like photography, painting, and preparing my acts and costumes for when live shows do happen again. I love being involved in the arts and I incorporate it into every aspect of my life.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
KM: I always have something in the pipeline. My main projects right now are a feature screenplay and a short film that I created early on in the pandemic. The short film will be released in mid-February. I am also hosting a monthly movie discussion panel on my YouTube channel, called the Neato Kino Movie Club.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
KM: My only advice is to not expect anyone to give you permission to make your art. Make your own opportunities. Even if it means you have to do every aspect of the production yourself on a crappy laptop’s webcam. Use what you have. Be resourceful and you’ll show the world you’re a force to be reckoned with.

To check out her work, follow her official website:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments