WiHM Special - Kayla Perkins


Ready to make her impression on the world, actress/model Kayla Perkins is quickly making a name for herself landing several lead and featured roles in TV, film, commercials and more as she works her way through the industry. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk to her about her early interest in acting, her memories on various films she's made and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Kayla Perkins: I got into horror when I was 15 years old when I got into my first film called Santa Claus Versus the Zombies by George Bonilla. I got to be the lead role of the daughter in the film. I had so much fun and loved being on set and getting to see behind the scenes. I loved every minute of it.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
KP: Yes I was. I liked watching Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday 13th P2, Pet Cemetery.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
KP: I initially started acting when I was 13 years old and got to be a part of The Simple Life with Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie. I got to see everything that took place from behind the scenes to acting and singing in the show. It was such a blast. That is when I discovered that I love this and need and want to do more. What appeals to me with this industry is being able to play different roles outside of the box and getting to make it your own character.


Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
KP: Specific type of character that I would be is the role of the killer because I am always playing the role of the character that is always being killed off, and I think it would be fun to play the opposite role of me running around killing everyone instead of me always being killed.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
KP: Some tools and skills that I have acquired working are paying close attention to detail of the senses and being able to interact with the other person you are having to act with. You have to learn to step into the character's shoes and imagine you are really that character. Making sure that you always know your lines before you step on set.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
KP: To stay in character while on-set, I have to get into a certain mindset of being that character and playing out my role. Between takes, I like to sit and relax, and look over my lines and make sure I know them all. I also like to make sure I don't need to fix my makeup.


Me: Among your most recognizable roles was as Ashton Holbrook in 'The Killbillies.' What drew you to the role initially?
KP: What drew me to that role was when I read the script I knew this role was for me. I loved the excitement of my character in the Killbillies role played out in the movie. My character went through a lot of ups and downs in the movie. From getting engaged to raped, her friends being killed, to being killed maybe or maybe not you will just have to go see. Will there be a Killbillies 2?????

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
KP: The set was like a real-life family reunion. The cast and crew were amazing, everyone worked well with one another.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
KP: There are a lot of funny on-set stories. But one that stays to mind was when one character had to push out a baby and had no clue of what to even do. It was pretty funny.

Me: With roles shortly afterward in films like 'Nightmare Fuel,' 'Point Pleasant' and 'Red River,' did the increase in workload and excitement at expanding your career offset any potential drawbacks such as overcrowded schedule, physical fatigue, etc?
KP: Like any other job out there you have to work hard and keep at it. For me, this is my dream and everyone has always worked well with my schedule and there's so I didn't have any problems with drawbacks or scheduling.


Me: Returning to work with director Tory Jones on 'The Wicked One,' did that help to make you more comfortable with his style and approach?
KP: Working with Tory Jones has always been comfortable and fun. It is always a profession and on time. He is very good at directing and knows exactly what he is looking for when filming.

Me: With an appearance to come in the upcoming sequel 'Wicked Ones,' what's in store for you and your character Blair that you can tell us about?
KP: I actually for the first time in my career had a makeout scene and I had to get undressed down to lingerie. I was so nervous and didn't know what to think. But once on set and getting into character and playing out the role I actually wasn't nervous at all and thought this is a piece of cake. I had a lot of fun. To learn more about the movie go check it out.

Me: Having appearances in several other non-genre films, what have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
KP: They have helped me to learn about myself as an actress and to learn about perfecting my skill. Just like anything else in life the more I perform the better I will get. Being able to put myself in different situations that I normally don't has helped me to better my skills as an actress.


Me: Beyond acting, what do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
KP: I love watching shows and movies and watching the different actors act. I also love to watch youtube videos about acting and learning about the different ways they have of doing things.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
KP: I will be filming They See You by Tory Jones and following that I will be working on Mr. Buzzkill by Rob Collins and Shawn Burkett.

I have other projects in the works as we speak. To name them off: A Promise to Alexis (directed by Christopher Siaens), Weekend Cabin and Maura the Vampire Princess (both of these by James Cook) and a new series from Gregory W. Brock called Super Un-Natural.
Check me out at www.kaylaperkins.com.

Follow me on 

To book Kayla for your upcoming project call 859-351-8386 or email her at KaylaMPerkins26@Gmail.Com

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
KP: I would tell anyone trying to get into this industry to never give up. Follow your dreams no matter what anyone tells you. Thank you so much for having me as your Women in Horror.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments