WiHM Special - Josephina Sykes


An accomplished producer in the indie scene, Josephina Sykes has built a reputation on a series of films she's worked on with her husband Brad Sykes in their company Nightfall Pictures. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the genre, her early production work in the company and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Josephina Sykes: Hi, thanks for having me!

I was a huge film lover and a cinema fan since forever. Horror came a bit later, especially after I married Brad, moved to Los Angeles and started to work on indie productions (mostly horror, it happened that way). I wanted to dig deeper into the genre that my husband was a fan of and contributing to as a writer/director. Also, I wanted to get the references on the sets I was hired on and learn about the movies of the filmmakers I was working with. It's a form of respect, but as a film lover, shouldn't you want to expand your horizons anyways?

So, having Brad as an expert, I watched a lot of movies from his collection or just going to the video stores and picking up horror movies that looked interesting to me. So I dived into modern classics like Romero, Carpenter, Craven, Italian and Spanish Horror and then moved into more obscure avenues. I caught up fast and still discover various gems. I like edgy movies anyways, so exploring the horror genre wasn't shocking for me. I learnt a lot and I hope that I push the boundaries and bring fresh ideas to a genre that is rich and has more left to explore and be reinvented!

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
JS: I wasn't into horror movies growing up. It wasn't a choice of mine. I was born and lived in Bucharest, Romania under a strong Communist dictatorship, so horror movies (alongside so many other things) were banned! That's why I'm always gonna fight censorship because I lived it! It's not only censorship on the political level, now as an indie producer I deal with censorship of my movies by big streaming companies, so the battle continues.

And you know how it is with the forbidden fruit, people find ways to get around it. Back then, sometimes a B-movie like "The Bees" would sneak into a double feature alongside a spaghetti western, so I would get to see movies this way, not knowing what I was getting into. Once VCRs got brought into the country and it spread on the black market, a whole new era started of bootleg VHS copies. I watched "Aliens" at my best friend's birthday party or "Mirror, Mirror" at a cousin's place. Whatever your friends or family would get their hands-on in terms of VHS tapes, that's how you'd watch American movies. So it was a mixed bag. And sometimes you'd get to watch a horror movie this way!
In the '90s, after the Revolution, horror movies started to play in the theater, so I went to see "Scream", "I Know What You Did Last Summer", "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" and so on. Can't say I loved these movies, a tad too slick for me. During that time I started to attend film school and we studied film history, so I watched and dug deeper into silent-era movies like "M", "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari", "Nosferatu", etc. They are still creepy and inspiring in terms of imagery. Then, we moved into some Universal classics and movies like "Freaks". At the same time, I'd discover random cool movies they started to show on various new TV channels like Saura's "Cria Cuervos" or Oliver Stones'  "The Hand". 

But it sure made me appreciate video stores and the plethora of movies after I moved to LA. I love Carpenter's "The Fog", we watch it often on Halloween, it's like a bottle of old wine, it only gets better. I love the original "Maniac" and the original "Black Christmas". "Cannibal Holocaust" and "Texas Chainsaw" (original) don't intimidate me because I think you need to be open to be taken out of your comfort zone and embrace the artist's vision and originality, not to be afraid of it. It's great that people can create such unique universes and try to convey an interesting message using the genre like Romero did. I enjoy more obscure movies like "Visiting Hours" because the monster is a human being and that can be scarier, it's a character study and Michael Ironside is phenomenal! We always watch movies newer or older, rewatch them, and discover them again. Among newer horror I love Gaspar Noe's movies, Claire Denis' "Trouble Every Day," Jarmusch's "Only Lovers Left Alive," Xan Cassavetes' "Kiss of the Damned". The list can continue and I always add on, but I'll stop here. 

Me: When did you discover a passion to go into the movie-making industry? Where you interested in any particular aspect of the business?
JS: As a child, I got the "film bug" from my uncle who was in Film School, studying Cinematography. So, I ended up being his model for his photography work or an actress in his student shorts. I loved it, because it was like playing a game for me. I loved being in his darkroom and see photos, images come to life. He ended be being a Director of Photography for the only TV channel in the country so he took me on sets which is always a fun place to visit, he left me in screening rooms to watch movies while he had something to take care of, a privilege I had, looking back! We went to film festivals, premieres so that a world full of life, joy, fun was my escape during the grey Communist years. It brought color and creativity into my childhood. The smell of film is for me like Proust's madeleine, it's the smell of my childhood because I was playing a lot with film cans!

Since then, I read every film book or film magazine I could get my hands on, I even browsed "American Cinematographer" before learning a word in English, but it was all about those behind-the-scenes photos! And I watched every movie possible, I was a film buff and everyone knew that. I loved writing and loved being behind the camera, liked the set life.  That lead me to pursue Screenwriting at National Film School, against my uncle's wishes who knew how hard and competitive the film world is. My mom who's a strong, independent woman always supported my passion, so I had somebody in my corner who reminded me to never give up.  Film school was one of the best times of my life! No regrets!

Me: Shortly after marrying your husband Brad Sykes, you formed your own company Nightfall Pictures. What was the inspiration to start your own studio together?
JS: When I left Romania I never thought I'd start a production company in the US! I was working on various independent movies as Screenwriter, Production Manager and 1st Assistant Director after my move to LA and I learnt things on fast-forward. And you can get your hands on things on indie movies because there are fewer crew members so you'll work more, wear more hats, but advance faster and learn a lot!

Brad was parting ways with an abusive producer he worked with for a while. We always wanted to work together since we met on the film set in Romania so we figured we should join forces, gather our knowledge and go for it! That's how we started Nightfall Pictures and shortly after we went into production with "Within the Woods" the 3rd installment of Brad's Camp Blood series. Things happened fast!

Me: What do you provide for clients through the studio? What do you hope to achieve with the future of the company?
JS: Nightfall Pictures is an established company, we have a good track record, so I hope we can get clients to trust us - since we create original horror movies, fresh, cool, but also we complete them and bring them to the audience via festivals and later on via distribution. Our movies have won awards, played all over the world and gotten some great coverage in major magazines and websites over the years. We're cool and fun to work with, but also serious, experienced and committed to working well with everyone. And we want to grow and offer more!

Me: What are some of your favorite memories working together on-set?
JS: I will always cherish the memories from "Phantom Town" the movie we met on, Brad and I had small jobs on the set, fewer responsibilities so we'd talk about movies rain or shine, day or night till an AD would shush us. 

Nowadays, it's tougher, but I love watching him while we shoot special effects, it brings out the kid in him. He's having so much fun, sometimes he even jumps up and down while we roll!

I loved watching him directing Steve Railsback in "Plaguers" and bonding with him on set. We all had a special bond with Steve and he's so loving and nice. One day, he left the set to get Brad a copy of "The Stunt Man" and signed it for him! It was our little secret.

We shot a few movies during Halloween, which's always fun, the crew can wear costumes (the boom operator of "Plaguers" came dressed like me that day and imitated me and my accent all day and it was a hoot), I buy candies, create a display of goodies for cast & crew. On "Plaguers" the makeup crew carved pumpkins so it was the best way to spend Halloween, making a horror movie with lots of gory special effects and creatures!


Me: When working on a new project, do you prefer to be involved from the beginning or work later on once it's been started?
JS: Since working with Brad I'm always involved in every project from the beginning starting with the idea, the concept. We work on everything together, brainstorm, discuss. Before working with Brad I just executed other people's ideas, which is fine, sometimes they would take my advice or input, sometimes they wouldn't and come to regret it later. Nowadays I prefer to work on the movie from the beginning, I don't want it any other way. And it's easier because Brad and I are on the same page, we're not arguing about some idea or shot, or camera angle on set. It's being discussed a long time ago. We just shoot and deal with the challenges that arrive. It's better that way, it makes it for a nicer working environment for everyone, the cast and crew respect us for that. We have short schedules, so being on the same page it's easier and efficient. It's also fun for me to contribute through post-production and be creative. Brad trusts my opinion and I appreciate that we can collaborate together and he knows that I have his back all the time. And he trusts me because I'm not waiting in the wings to take over; I'm there to support his vision. I'm invested way more, the movie is my baby, too so I give it 200%! And I live with it for the rest of my life!

Me: That brings us to your latest project, "Hi-Fear." What can you tell us about the film?
JS: "Hi-Fear" is our 3rd horror anthology. This time around we have a theme ("What are you afraid of?") we gave the filmmakers that we invited onboard alongside Brad (Tim Ritter, Todd Sheets, Anthony Catanese) to explore in their segments, which should reveal their deepest fear. In our previous anthologies -"Hi-8" and "Hi-Death", the concept was inspired more by retro video formats. This time around, that isn't the case, we all shoot HD and are centered around the theme of "fear". The segments will be longer on this one. Most of them are shot, including the wraparound, we're still working on post-production and hope to have it finished later this year, start the festival circuit and then get "Hi-Fear" out there via world distribution as well. We're excited to show various sides of these filmmakers who "attack" the genre differently than they did before. Brad and I shot our segment outside Los Angeles, in a mountain resort, it's called "Day out of Days" and it explores the filmmaking theme (based on personal experiences) that we started in our segments in "Hi-8" and "Hi-Death". The story takes place in an apocalyptic environment. Some scenes that we wrote and shot have similarities to what we all lived through the pandemic. We shot it in the fall of 2019, before everything changed. We really want to see what the audience will think about "Day out of Days" and "Hi-Fear" in general. Everyone is bringing original, edgy stories.

Me: What about this anthology series drives you to continue on with the series?
JS: We're probably both crazy to keep going with these anthologies because they are so demanding and hard to make. So much coordination, technical issues to fix (have to say thanks to Chris Lorusso our supervisor editor for being such a maverick!), long-distance work (before that was popular, pre-pandemic), so many people to deal with all over the country and things to manage.

But we get energy from the good responses we got starting with the supportive fans, from the festivals who asked to play our movies (a big Thank You to the organizers) once they were barely completed, the positive reviews and coverage in genre magazines. You forget the hardships and start to walk the hard road ahead again. But filmmaking isn't easy, you have to be tough and strong to work in the business and these anthologies take us into new directions, challenge us, make us learn more on every level - from the technical side to the creative side, liberating us by pushing our originality. On a human level is also important because we get to know these filmmakers well and form friendships that we hope to last forever. Have a bond and support each other in the future also. "Hi-Fear" is the last one in the series, we thought a trilogy would be great, we have some of the same filmmakers contributing to all 3 movies, so it'll be nice to end a high note.

Me: Beyond these projects, what else are you working on that you'd like to let our readers know about?
JS: We were very active in 2020, considering... Our movie "Hi-8" was re-released on DVD, so check it out if you didn't have a chance yet! It's also streaming. And "Plaguers" had a VHS release for collectors, besides the previous year's Blu Ray Anniversary Re-Release. So it was fun to have some new releases of any sort last year!

Right now we're busy finishing "Hi-Fear" so we can send it into the world.  We're working on a few scripts and after that, we'll be ready to have new adventures, dive into a feature, a California-centric horrific tale, don't want to reveal much yet. In the meantime, keep your eyes open for "Hi-Fear"!

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
JS: I didn't know that was a "Women in Horror Month" till I saw your Instagram post, so thanks for bringing it up. It's nice to be celebrated and I am also a February baby, so let the party begin, right?

I think women nowadays have it a tad easier. I'm sure that I lost jobs because I was a woman (and a foreigner), I happened to be the only woman in the room at many meetings, scrutinized and interrogated and not trusted because of that. I'm not saying they won't deal with any of that, but I know nowadays everyone is more aware of the abuse in the film industry so they will deal with it less and less, so that's good. But you should be prepared professionally well, be passionate, friendly, nice, not try to get special treatment because you are a woman. You have to be better! Also, work on indie sets. You will learn a lot and gain respect by working alongside everyone on a crew and glimpse into their creative worlds! That's how many wonderful producers in the genre started, women like Debra Hill, Gale Ann Hurd, Sandy King. They are some of my models, watch their movies, learn about them! Roll up your sleeves, get your hands dirty, be serious. Filmmaking is hard work; it's not about posing on Social Media. Have fun on sets and don't give up. It'll be hard, but don't give up. Rewatch your favorite movies when it gets tough, tomorrow is always a fresh start. Sandy King has a sign on her desk "No Whining". So clench your teeth and stay at it! Don't take 'No' for an answer! I'm here to support and encourage everyone who's serious for the long ride ahead! It's a rollercoaster!

Thanks again for having me and supporting indie horror!

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments