WiHM Special - Johnna Renee Vaughn


One of the newest names to emerge in the indie scene, actress/director/production crew member Johnna Renee Vaughn is slowly working her way through the industry getting her first films set for release. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting involved in the industry, her experiences on the film Reunion from Hell and the upcoming film she's co-directing The Hag Witch.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Johnna Renee Vaughn: First, thank you so much for having me. I got the urge to act from watching film all of my life. When I was younger, I would watch movies, horror specifically, and I felt like I was capable of doing the same things. I was approached to audition for something a local director was casting for and ended up doing lots of projects over the next year and a half, until I was approached to act in my feature film appearance, Reunion From Hell.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
JRV: Yes. Horror was my genre from the beginning and I watched The Thing at the age of 6 or 7 and loved the gore, wasn’t scared, and felt like I would love to be in something like that. It wasn’t just The Thing, I loved all sorts of zombie films and all the great 80s films that were coming out as I was growing up. Fright Night kept me company growing up and I had a particular affection for vampire films. I also really enjoyed films like Night of the Demons and really anything that was wild, violent, and fun! I first saw The Evil Dead as it was available on VHS and I was moved by it because I could feel myself doing a character in that movie. Sam Raimi made a film that felt approachable for just about anyone to get involved in.

Me: As an actress, is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
JRV: I play any character but, my preference is to be involved in the violence, whether it be as a victim or killer.

Me: Having worked on several short films "Undead Fred" and "Conversation with the Devil" early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
JRV: I learned how to act without a lot of pressure and gained comfort in acting around large crowds of people without getting nervous. I was able to explore how to lose myself and be the character I’m portraying. Having zero pressure afforded me that opportunity.

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
JRV: I have been acting, doing boom operation, production assistant, and I am learning to operate cameras and lighting setup. I’m even learning directing skills. Acting is my preference because I can be put into various types of roles and it is a fresh challenge each time. 

Me: With one of your upcoming projects, "Reunion from Hell," features you as an actress and producer, did it challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once on a project like this? How do you balance those priorities during a shoot?
JRV: Short answer, yes, it did challenge me. But the challenge was such because I was asked to take the role of Jen two days into filming as a boom operator and overall crew member. I was able to balance acting and production and boom operation on that shoot because of the kind support I had from both directors, Hayden Newman and Sam Hodge. They were patient and Hayden was particularly good at helping me rehearse lines while Sam assumed some of my responsibilities on the crew.


Me: With a cast of experienced and talented indie actors, what was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
JRV: We were able to work with actors of varying backgrounds, and Cathy Podewell, in particular, brought a wealth of experience from both, feature films, and her extensive time on a prime-time television set like Dallas. She was encouraging. Other actors were all very friendly and came with their own methods. It was nice to be encouraged to do my own methods.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
JRV: We played tricks on each other constantly. Partying did continue some when partying was already part of the scene. I will say, the house in Louisville was legitimately haunted and did cause some uneasiness at times. But we did things like screaming exercises and had a lot of late-night chill time where we told raunchy jokes and got to know each other.

Me: What is the expected release for the film?
JRV: The premiere for the cast is 4/30 and for the public on 5/1 in Nashville. We will be doing other premieres around the country and will appear at film festivals. We have about 9 distributors interested so an official “at home” release will happen shortly after all of that. 

Me: As well, you're also in the early stages for a new film "The Hag Witch." What can you tell us about that so far?
JRV: I play a widow who is seemingly haunted by a presence I believe to be my deceased husband. I attempt to contact him and things steadily get worse. That film will have a great cast and is still working to bring additional talent. The Indiegogo campaign went live on 1/30/21 and we have lots of amazing perks to choose from. There will be a pretty creepy creature and the violence will be there. But there will also be that super dark mood you see in haunting/demon/possession type movies.

Me: As you're collaborating with your (soon-to-be) husband Sam Hodge on the co-directing job, how has your past worked together preparing you to move into the directing field?
JRV: Honestly, he shows me everything as he’s doing it himself. I’m always there and always trying to pick up what I can. He’s unafraid and goes after the ideas he wants to see on screen. So, any time I’ve acted for him, he’s taken the time to show me his process and why I am acting the way I am.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
JRV: First! Have respect for yourself. I would say, believe in yourself that you can do it and you can act. If you really want to do it, you will. Have fun and don’t wait for the opportunity to knock on your messenger inbox. Seek out casting calls and roles that seem fun, but also safe and don’t let yourself ever be exploited in a harmful way. Second, be fucking tough. If you have to die on screen, don’t be afraid. Do what it takes to make it as real as it can be.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments