WiHM Special - Jo Gonsalves


One of the hardest-working names in the indie scene, Jo Gonsalves is looking on expanding the genre whether it's working on her own films or just letting creators speak out for themselves on her various social media platforms. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the genre, her start as a filmmaker and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Jo Gonsalves: Thank you for including me! This is awesome.

I got into horror when I was little. REALLY little. Horror movies and shows (Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Dark Side, etc..) were always something watched on a regular basis in my house.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
JG: Growing up and to this day my favorites have always been Action, Comedy, and Horror. Not in that order, of course. But films I’ll always remember and favor (due to nostalgia) are “Trilogy of Terror” and “A Nightmare on Elm ST.”

Me: When did you discover a passion for filmmaking? What aspect of the industry initially appealed to you?
JG: I grew up in a house of entertainers/ musicians. When my brother and I were growing up in the SF Bay Area, he was always involved in AV Club and local public access stations. In high school he got me to go help at the station with filming and filling in for improve acting spots. I knew I wanted to be involved with films just as much, if not more than music at that point.

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
JG: Honestly, no. I love everything and I’m constantly wanting to learn new things/ways in production.

Me: You’re also involved with the podcasts Any Last Words and Girls, Gore and Gin. What lead to you being involved with these shows?
JG: Bars! Haha. I was a bartender for a few years and the producers Frankie and Miguel Rodriguez (for Girls, Gore, and Gin) came in one night. After talking to them for a while, they asked if I’d be interested in auditioning for their show they were in the process of rebooting. They haven’t asked me to leave in over 3 years, so I think I got the job, haha. Any Last Words was something I came up with in October 2019 and didn’t really start till December of that year. It was really just a challenge to myself. I enjoy what I do on GGG so much, I wanted to see if I could take everything I’ve learned and do turn it into something successful on my own.

Me: What has been the most unique or memorable experience afforded to you from working on either show?
JG: Honestly, the night I audition for Girls, Gore, and Gin. I was at a major turning point in my life. I’d just come out of a life-changing surgery a few months prior, I’d just started at a new job, and I was stuck in this “What am I doing with my life?” mentality. Since starting that show, then continuing on with my own  I’ve done so many things, been to so many places, and met so many amazing people.  Now, I can say “Look what I’ve DONE with my life.” I will always remember and be grateful for that night.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
JG: I just finished an Assistant Director job on “My Violent Valentine,” directed by Miguel Rodriguez. I’m also finishing up my second horror film “Lore” and currently working on my first rock album.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry Mein any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
JG: Be true to yourself, be patient, and have fun!

Thank you so much for including me in this amazing month in horror

To follow her work, check out her shows:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments