WiHM Special - Jennifer Hatfield


An upcoming short-form writer and author, Jennifer Hatfield is moving on in the industry with appearances of her work in numerous anthology collections from various companies in the genre. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her interest in writing, her process for creating her work and other upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? 
Jennifer Hatfield: Hello and thank you for giving me the opportunity to participate. Ever since my mother let me read my first “scary” book. Cujo. I think I was 12.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies? 
JH: When I was growing up my parents were scif-fi fanatics. It wasn’t until I was in my teens having slumber parties and renting horror movies as a group to watch that I realized I loved being scared out of my wits. I was one of those kids who would flip the light switch off and run and jump on my bed so whatever might be hiding under the bed couldn’t get me. Nightmare on Elm Street, Silver Bullet, and yes Cujo.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work? 
JH: My favorite authors growing up I would easily say Judy Blume ranks high on that list, Carolyn Keene, Roald Dahl, and I would be remiss without adding Stephen King to this list. I do not TRY to take influence from them, I try to do my own thing, though I think it often happens with people without intention.

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
JH: I started writing stories that never got shared when I was 9 or 10. As I got older I began writing privately throughout my teenage years. So, yes while I was growing up, I was. When I joined the Writing Prompts and Critiques Facebook Group, my writing world changed for the better.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?  
JH: All of my published work so far has been for anthologies, but the process is pretty much the same for all of them. The theme must be established, characters, plot, and the word count is important. I do my best writing at night. I do my best editing in the morning. For me, some days staying focused is easier than others. My husband is deceased, my children are full-grown, so it is just me. I have epilepsy and have had brain surgeries, so my focus is sometimes skewed.

Me: Having contributed to various anthologies early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future projects?  
JH: My first published story was a drabble; 100 words exactly, a clear beginning, middle, and end. My drabbles start out at 5 or 600 words. I get the story out that I want to be told, then chop it down to size, find alternative words, so I think that would be editing and chopping words. I progressed from drabbles to some larger projects and edits for those larger projects is an important skill in my opinion.

Me: What is the general process for getting involved in these projects? 
JH: These bigger projects I have been involved in have been by invitation to collaborate in a shared world. 

Me: Once these are finally written, what is the process to having them published? 
JH: So far they have all been at a publisher's request so I have not had to find one yet.

Me: How do you settle on the plots for your stories? 
JH: It truly depends so far on what the submission call is looking for in the way of theme, from there if I am going to get an idea on what to write, it usually happens within a couple days of seeing the call.

Me: Is there any part of your real sense injected into the characters? 
JH: Any part of my real sense, that is a tough one…I think yes there must be. Just like I have my muse for most things deadly. If I am killing off a male, I see a special person that I get to kill over and over again, in so many gruesome ways. My daughter asked me if anyone ever lives in my stories. I had to be honest and tell her “only if they are lucky,” Having said that, I don’t have to put a huge amount of thought into establishing a “perfect” character until it will live to the other end of the story.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
JH: WPC Press has an open call for a dual submission called Moving Heaven Raising Hell. It’s two stories, and they must both be accepted. I am trying to come up with something for that. I also have a twisted big bad wolf fairy tale in the works for Raven & Drake. I also have a couple secret projects taking place. You can find me on Facebook Instagram, and Twitter at jhatfieldauthor.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? 
JH: Find a writing community online. They are a wonderful resource for information and connecting with people of all experience levels. Find a critique partner someone who isn’t a friend so that you will get honest opinions or assistance.

Me: Thank you again for your time!
JH: Thank you so much.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments