WiHM Special - Holly Macejak


Part of the Beyond the Screams podcast, Holly Macejek is part of the group moving the show along whether organizing events to promote the podcast and being a big part of the shows' success. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the genre, working on the show and future plans for the podcast.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Holly Macejak: I was quite little. I grew up with the usual kid-friendly horror: Scooby-Doo, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Beetlejuice cartoon, The Twilight Zone, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, etc. From there, it was just a couple years until my older sister was getting in trouble for letting me watch gory horror.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
HM: I was always watching genre movies that were "too old" for me. I missed the train on a bunch of things
kids my age were watching because I was watching thrillers, sci-fi, and horror. My first actual horror
movie was Candyman. I saw a little bit at age 7 and no one could stop me after that.

I got into The X-Files kind of young as well. That was a huge inspiration for me because each episode
looked like it could have been a movie and the depth of the characters really captured me. The X-Files is what showed me that these “weird” things had a depth that not everyone sees or appreciates.

Me: Initially starting on the show Horror Melee, what do you remember of your time with the group?
HM: I was extremely nervous to work with Patrick and Stephanie because I had never met them before. The first time we talked was an introductory meeting with each other. We bonded very quickly and my
nervousness finally waned but we were still getting a handle of things podcast-wise. We did a lot of work together to figure out how we wanted things to be going but we still had the growing pains of being a new podcast.

Overall, I felt lucky to be with a group of people that were willing to put the effort in to make this
podcast sound good in both content and quality. We still continuously strive to improve, we don’t ever
want to get too complacent in the way we do things.

Me: Having recently launched Beyond the Screams, has the style of prepping and recording a show changed over time?
HM: Absolutely. When we first started, we were getting used to each other's schedules as well as each other. We spent time on our own doing research and taking notes and would then come together when it was time to record. We quickly learned that this wasn’t working for us and adjusted.

We’ve found a good rhythm of communication and note-taking. We are much more organized and are
very happy with the format we have now because it allows for flexibility as well as branching out to
talking about more than just movies.

Me: How did the original concept and general format of the show come about? Has this changed much since you’ve first started?
HM: When we first started we very much felt like we were having a group chat rather than the deeper discussions we have now. We wanted the show to be casual but we felt that it led to some disorganization with our thoughts and the flow of how we talked.

Since re-branding, we are much more sure of ourselves. Steph did a lot of hard work making a template
for us to use for the shows. We’ve all fallen into our roles naturally, we all bring something unique to
this and back each other up in whatever area we’re able.

Me: What is the usual strategy you employ for note-taking before a new recording?
HM: I like to experience the media without a critical eye the first time around. I have my questions and
theories throughout my experience but I want to connect to the emotions I’m feeling and I can’t do that
while simultaneously dissecting the media.

Then I’ll re-watch or re-listen one or two more times and do my online research. I love looking for
themes and motifs and finding all of the symbolism. Depending on the subject I can have a ton of books
around me to cross-reference for my notes. This always was one of my best subjects in school!

Me: Are there any pre-show rituals you perform before recording?
HM: Being a mom of little ones, my kids factor heavily in the way in which I record. This means daytime recording is pretty much out of the question. (Unless you all want to hear random screaming and crying in the background! It could give a good ambiance!) So, my pre-show ritual includes teeth brushing and story time and many many “goodnights.” Then I pour myself a glass of wine and pray they go to sleep right away.

Even though it can be an exhausting scramble to go from mom to podcaster in the time it takes me to walk from the kitchen to my room, I love it. My kids are 5 and 2, having it be a norm in their lives is part of what I love about this. I tell them during the day that I’m recording that night so that they’re prepared to be in bed on time and be quiet. I love that they get to be part of something that gives joy to their mom. They also get to be part of the podcast! My 5-year-old is getting to the point where I can show him more so I absolutely adore getting his personal view on things I grew up watching.

Meu: How has your relationship with the rest of your co-hosts changed over the course of the shows’ run?
HM: I was extremely nervous and somewhat hesitant to begin doing this with people I had never met before. was worried about feeling inferior or having trouble finding the words to explain how I feel on a subject. Luckily that was never something I had to deal with because Steph and Patrick are the most wonderful partners. We went into this encouraging constructive criticism of ourselves and we do that with grace and laughter.

Now I get to enjoy them as close friends and we have still yet to meet in person! When good or bad events are happening in our lives, we’re there for each other as much as we’re able. Hopefully one day soon we’ll FINALLY be able to hug each other and record an episode with all of us in the room. I’m grateful to have Patrick and Stephanie as such great friends.

Me: What has been the most surreal or unexpected experience the show has afforded you since it started?
HM: Hands down, it was interviewing my birth sister. I had always wondered what she would be like but didn’t think that I would ever actually find and meet her. When she and I spoke for the first time, I was floored by how similar we are. When the first opportunity presented itself I told her she has to come on to be interviewed. Not only was it an interview, but I also got to know more about my sister too. I got to ask her more questions about her life and enjoy her stories. Plus this was the first time anyone else had spent a significant amount of time talking with her so it was interesting to hear what Steph and Patrick thought about our similarities.

Me: What is the overall goal of Beyond the Screams moving forward?
HM: We are committed to gaining and sharing a deeper understanding of the dark side of life. Through having themes each month, it allows us to connect with other horror creators and share their work as well. We don’t want to be in competition with anyone, we much prefer to lift each other up and help each other enjoy and embrace their dark side.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
HM: The three of us are hard at work finding and creating great content for our next virtual variety show. We’re going to have a mythological theme full of skits, commercials, stories, and much more followed by a watch party of Leprechaun. The event will be on March 19th, be sure to look out for the event on our Facebook page and group or on our website: https://beyondthescreams.com/

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
HM: Don’t ever think that being a woman is a set-back. Others may think that or think that you’re not
dedicated enough or don’t have what it takes. Don’t YOU ever think that about yourself. Keep telling
yourself that the only person standing in your way is your inner saboteur. Do that research and find the women in the industry that have made an impact and are currently making an impact, they’re
everywhere! There are a million ways to be involved with horror, be kind to yourself, do the work, and
you will find your path. Happy Women in Horror Month! Thank you, Don!

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments