WiHM Special - Felicia Masias


An upcoming actress and filmmaker, Felicia Masias is working her way through the industry with numerous credits in genre films as well as the creation of her new series Super Stoned Scary Stories. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her interest in the industry, her early work acting in various films and the new series.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Felicia Masias: Hi! Thank you for taking the time to learn about me and my project! I think I’ve always been “into’’ horror. It’s not something I actively paid attention to at the time, but thinking back on it I strongly remember always being drawn to horror movies and books. I would ALWAYS read ‘scary stories to tell in the dark.’ I believe that’s what really started it.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
FM: As a child, I always loved things that were different than everyday life. The first two things I watched that were in the horror genre were ‘Tales from the Crypt’ and ‘Elvira’. I just fell in love. I loved these characters and how even though they were over the top you were always able to find a realness about them. The cool thing is that around the time I was getting into horror as a young kid, Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark starting airing. These shows for sure paved the way for me falling in love with this genre. After that, I starting falling down the rabbit hole of understanding what horror was as a young kid. I remember not being allowed to watch the exorcist and hiding behind the couch so my parents couldn’t see me watch. I was about 10. From there I just sorta begged and pleaded and got my hands on the classics- Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Chucky, Puppet Masters, Leprechaun.

Me: How did you come to be involved in the industry? Was there any specific aspect that appealed to you?
FM: I actually started off as an actress. From a young age, I knew I always wanted to act. I loved and still do the idea of completely allowing yourself to be someone else. I have been acting for theatre and film for the past 15 years. For the past 3 years, I’ve been transitioning to directing, writing and producing. The overall filmmaking aspect is so appealing. Taking a tiny idea and growing it to this awesome production and working as a team. It’s just amazing!

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
FM: I always say that everything is a stepping stone. Everything that we do has helped us get to where we are at and where we are going. I am so grateful for all the opportunities big and small that I’ve had. Literally, all the skills I’ve acquired have helped me in my current projects and the skills I’m learning now will continue to pave the path for my future projects! 

Me: After working on dramas and comedy mostly, your first genre film was "The Chicken Party," playing Cindy. What drew you to play that role?
Me: ‘The Chicken Party’ was such an eye-opener for me in many ways. Carlos Valencia is the writer and director of this film. He was so fun to work with and he continues to pursue his dreams in horror. This was the first film I got to work on that was in the Horror genre and I LOVED the creative ways that Carlos wrote out the death scenes. Those two things alone drew me to this film. The reason I say it was eye-opening, was because growing up and seeing horror and never really understanding it as a creative art, The Chicken Party allowed me to see the Genre of Horror as more than… well Horror. It can be beautiful and poignant and real and sometimes funny. It allowed me to not be scared but instead be motivated to create in different ways than I had been creating….If this makes sense.

Me: Was than an inspiration to start working more heavily in the genre with the TV series 'AlienBuzz TV?' Where did the concept for the series come from?
FM: AlienBuzzTV was a very different kind of project. I guess in a way it could be considered horror, these two aliens are stuck on earth and their whole existence is the learn about the world through youtube. But really it was meant to be a show for kids to see the world through someone else’s eyes. This show was TONS of fun to work on, I mean, I got to dress up like an Alien and put prosthetics on my face and completely transform into another character, it was great! We made over ti50 episodes and really got to develop these wacky characters. Most of it was improvised, so we got to work on that art form. The creator of Alien Buzz is a very talented man name Jim McCafferty, I worked with him on fully developing my character and he allowed me to have the creative freedom to work and write and direct along with our other very talented director David Nguyen, we had an amazing team for this project…another stepping stone.


Me: That brings us to your latest project, "Super Stoned Scary Stories." What can you tell us about the project?
FM: Super Stoned Scary Stories is my passion project. It’s my first project that I am directing and Producing! I love this show because the premise is we get super stoned and we tell scary stories and then we re-enact the stories. A lot of inspiration from Are You Afraid of the Dark and Drunk History. The cool thing is I get to work on this with my amazing, talented Husband. We get to act and produce together and that’s been super fun. Currently, we are on our first season, we will have 5 episodes in each season with the hopes of making 3 seasons. It’s been a magical show to work on, we have an amazing, talented crew all from New Mexico and not to mention my family is also part of our crew! My sister AD’s and PA’s, my Brother is our professional budtender, my mom helps me set design, and my cousin does special FX makeup and my father has been helping with location scouting. I would say our show is HorCom - horror-comedy. We love finding the line between the two!

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
FM: Keith (my husband) likes to get stoned and tell scary stories and we always have said it would make a cool show. Well, one day we were stoned… and I just blurted out “Super Stoned Scary Stories” and we both just kinda looked at each other and he was like….” nice….” So we just took it from there and ran with it!

Me: Is there anything from your childhood that helped to flesh out the characterizations?
FM: Absolutely! I like to use childhood scary stories for the stories of each episode and then add a twist. Currently, we are working on ‘Bloody Mary’ and I just remember growing up and getting with my cousins or friends and trying to see if this was a real thing. So it’s stuff like that that helps me gather inspiration for each episode.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of show being made?
FM: It’s been so fun. The crew is awesome and of course.. having weed onset is … interesting. We are always finding that line between working and smoking. Especially since I am directing and acting in it. Every one of our crew is very helpful and creative and talented in so many different ways. The cool thing is we like to “play” we like to see what works and what doesn't. If someone has a shot that they think would look cool then we try it, because why not! We are always learning from each other. And Of course, there are plenty of munchies on set!

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
FM: HAHA well, when your main character is stoned for most of the filming of the episode…it’s for sure funny! We are always laughing and having a good time!

Me: With several episodes created so far, what plans do you have to finish off the remaining episodes?
FM: We are currently working on our 3rd episode to be released on March 4th! We have a 4ti0 special coming out and then for our 5th and final episode to be done by June!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? 
FM: Currently my husband and I are working on building up our production company, Sopapilla Productions, with our amazing team! We are making videos for local businesses to help them recover from Covid. We will also be starting production for a New Mexico travel show in late February! Lots of things on the horizon!

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
FM: Women in Horror Month is awesome! What a great idea! I love being a woman exploring the horror genre. I think it brings another perspective to horror and film in general. I would say to anyone trying to get into the industry, pave a path for yourself. Create! Just do it. Keep a focused mind and a positive mind and meditate! Meditate because filmmaking has soooo many aspects to it and things are always getting thrown at you and by having a strong mind it will help you make better and faster decisions in the moment when you need it the most!

Thank you so much!!!

To follow her work, check out her official site:

To check out an episode of the show to get an idea for it, here's a sample:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments