WiHM Special - Eve Oliver


An up-and-coming actress in the UK indie scene, Eve Oliver has managed to build off her performance as Bethany Lowell in the 'Mask of Thorn' storyline from Mycho Films into a series of performances in other works in the scene. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the industry, working on the studios' films and her other projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Eve Oliver: I got my first job in a horror short back in 2016, ‘Flytrap’ (Hundy Gilbert Media), and absolutely loved it – I instantly fell in love with the gruesome and fantastic SFX makeup. It was also a fantastic opportunity to work on some incredibly dark scenes, pushing boundaries and creating magic with some brilliant people in a safe environment. From there, I’ve been working increasingly in indie horror, and I wouldn’t change it one bit.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
EO: I grew up on musical films (my original training is in Musical Theatre and Professional Dance), so I was a musical lover through and through (I still am!). I remember particularly watching the 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory film as a really young child, and the sequence in the tunnel was my first mini taste of anything ‘horror’ in a movie, and that section is still etched in my mind.  I loved the way it put me on edge and gave me that little rush of adrenaline, and I’ve loved finding that feeling again and again in horror films since.

Me: Where did you get the urge to get into acting? Who were some of your inspirations to get into the industry?
EO: I’ve loved performing for as long as I can remember, and with every club I joined, and am-dram show I did as a child, that love just grew and I knew I had to pursue it as a career!

Ooo there are just too many inspirations in the acting and performance world for me to mention them all!  Some of my biggest inspirations when I was little include Mara Wilson (I literally wanted to be her), and then through my teenage years Lin Manuel Miranda (he’s just infectiously funny and happy). More recently performance-wise, I am in awe of Florence Pugh (Midsommar) and Millie Shapiro (Hereditary).  Both bring such different but fantastic qualities to their work.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
EO: I have played the terrified victim in most films I have worked on (lots of screaming and running and mud!). It’s always great fun, but I would love the chance to take on a darker more twisted role and really push my abilities to places I haven’t been before – that would be really fun.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
EO: It’s been really useful to be able to work on shorts and then features. Working on films, you are usually working really long days and stamina is absolutely key. Also, put in as much time as you can on research and homework. I’ve been fortunate that in most films I have worked on, I have had time from being cast to being on set to research and read up. With short films, it’s been incredibly useful for character development even over a short period of time, but on feature films, it’s been invaluable.

Me: You've worked with the Mycho universe on their short "Slaypril Fools 82" which was your first experience with the studio. Did working on this project for the studio make it easier to keep coming back?
EO: Mycho were, and are incredible to work with, and if you are ever offered the chance to work with them, do so! They are incredibly fast to work with on set, and have a really clear framework with which to play within to help create parts of a character. The Mycho team has a wonderful way of making everyone on set feel like family, even as a newbie they welcomed me in with open arms, and years down the line I’m incredibly lucky to be able to call MJ and Anna some of my closest friends.


Me: Now playing the character Bethany Lovell in their Thorn storyline starting with "Mask of Thorn," how did you become involved with the role? What specifically about Bethany appeals to you to the studio?
EO: Before I ever got to work with Mycho, I had been following their studio and watching their films. They had such a cool style, and they worked a lot with local talent, which was massively important to me. I had been in touch with them about working with them when they sent through the script for Mask asking me to see what I thought of the character Bethany! I was honestly expecting my character to be a small one, and probably killed off in the first scene or 2! but the more I read about her, the more I fell in love with the idea of the character – and it was a huge honor to become one of Mycho’s ‘final girls.’

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
EO: I think that one depends on the scene and character. Some films I have worked on with incredibly difficult and sometimes emotional scenes to shoot I very much keep to myself, keeping in the headspace and keeping the emotions of the scene almost personal. In other films, however, between takes, I’m always happy to lend a hand with setting up for the next shot or rehearsing with other actors. There have been times (particularly on night shoots with Mask!) when I have been known to find a corner and have a mini nap while waiting!

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
EO: I remember, one of my favorite memories while working on Mask of Thorn. I had a break at the same time as Lydia, who played Julia the School bully and Queen bee. The set we were working on was a real school that had been closed down (which in itself was pretty damn cool to adventure around!). We went into the gymnasium and the climbing apparatus was out, so we had an amazing time climbing around and swinging on the apparatus! We didn’t think much of it until the following day when Matt Horn (the amazing site agent) came over to us and said he saw us playing around on the CCTV in the gym (at this point we are 100% certain we are about to get told off and told never to do it again). He rolled his eyes and sighed and said ‘I’ve secured it down for you, so it’s safe to climb on now if you want.’ Such a silly little thing, but it still makes me smile when I think about it.

Me: Outside of the studio, you've also had roles in films like "Drive Me to the End" and "Edge of Extinction." How was your time working with the studio beneficial to the other roles in your career?
EO: It’s been brilliant. The speed at which Mycho works has definitely set me up for working with other studios. They also have such a brilliant ‘can do’ attitude with literally everything. Their films are micro-budget, so they are constantly thinking outside the box to make their films work as well as they do. It’s something that has inspired me both in my acting career and with my life outside the acting world.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
EO: Ahh, there are so many exciting things coming up that I’d LOVE to share with you!  I have been cast in ‘Playback’, a short film in the anthology ‘Mosaic’ With TIS Films this Summer, I’m very excited to meet lots of new people on this!

I’m also the title character in ‘Dear Sister Margaret; (Sophie Leanne Phillips) which we were due to film last April! So fingers crossed we can get started soon – lots of wonderful Mycho Alumni to keep an eye out for in that film!

Of course, ‘Wrath of Thorn’ (Mycho Entertainment) is in the making too – the sequel to ‘Mask of Thorn’…so watch this space!

There are a few other feature films coming up which I’m excited to work on including ‘School Hall Slaughter’ (Huw Lloyd), and ‘Gym of the Dead’ (Peter Hopkins)

When I’m not in front of the camera, I co-host a podcast called ‘Reel Horror’, which can be found on Spotify and YouTube, where Anna Dixon and I discuss grisly historical true crime and then pitch how we would turn them into a Horror Film!  It’s great fun, and I’ve learnt so much doing it too!

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
EO: I’d of course say go for it! I have found so many wonderful, supportive people in the indie horror scene and I really did ‘catch the bug’ after that first short film I did back in 2016. I would also say that, as with most industries – it’s a really small world! So supporting each other, and making lots of contacts and friends not only makes the journey so much more enjoyable, but you have some wonderful people that have your back, and you in return find yourself supporting some fantastically talented people!

To stay up-to-date with her and her work, check out her official site:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments