WiHM Special - Emily Smart


An upcoming and multitalented filmmaker working in various capacities in the genre, Emily Smart is looking to make the jump into the director's chair for her upcoming film Shadow Legacy. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, memories on several previous films she's made and what to expect of the film.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this.
Emily Smart: Thank you for letting me part of this amazing month-long focus on Women in Horror.

Me: First off, when did you get into horror in general?
ES: I can’t say exactly when it started. Growing up was the heyday of Freddy Kruger and Jason but I could NOT watch those films. They gave me nightmares. Once I got into my teens, I got into reading thriller books. I remember ‘The Craft’ making an impact on me but the film that really took me into one of the paths of horror was “Blade”. I LOVE vampire movies.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
ES: I enjoyed the movie “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” when it came out but “Blade” definitely made me fall in love with the vampire sub-genre of horror. There was a grit to that trilogy. I was really was taken when “Underworld” came out too. I’m not only drawn to American cinema representations of vampires but I really enjoyed “Byzantium” and “Let the Right One In”. My husband and I have been watching the TV series ‘Heirs of the Night”, which is pretty fantastic. Props to the Swedes, whom I happen to have an ancestry with. I’m not just a vampire junkie thought. The world of “Lovecraft Country” has made a huge impact in our household. Being a vampire lover, I have to give props to “True Blood” with regard to it showcasing a form of vampire stories that aren’t soapy but have some grit to them. Aside from vampire films/tv shows, I’m big into thrillers and fantasy. “American Gods” and “Preacher” are a couple of others on my watch list but, honestly, I watch so many things. I love good quality stories and there is so much content to watch nowadays.

Me: How did you come to be involved in the industry as an editor? Was there any specific aspect that appealed to you?
ES: I first realized I was meant to be an editor in community college. Before we were allowed to use the AVIDs, we cut our first projects on a prosumer version of Avid software that you had to move handles on the timeline to retime you clips. It was SO difficult to get timing down and our first project was a music video, so timing is essential when you’re dealing with that. It really separated those willing to take the time and suffer the agony of those handles from those who just got fed up with the fine line details. I love taking what is just a series of shots and putting them together to make a story.

Me: Having worked on plenty of documentaries and short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
ES:  I deeply understand the importance of pre-production. Having a good pre-production means you’ll have a better production no matter how large or small the film is. If you get everything organized and put together, then there are many problems that won’t pop up during production because you already have a plan, for example, if it rains, you already have a plan in place for what you will do in case of rain so you won’t lose the day. Another example is having a location agreement signed. I’ve been on productions where it was just a verbal agreement and the husband never told the wife or vice versa, OR they forgot the day we were shooting at their home, OR they demanded a different fee than what was verbally agreed upon. Contracts and agreements are necessary for the smooth running of a production because they bring clarity to everything. Another invaluable lesson is to NOT shoot until you have money in the bank. I have witnessed too many projects where they go ahead because they had a promise of funds only to be left holding the bag with crew members, suppliers, etc. looking for payment.

Me: After working as an editor or assistant director on these projects, your first genre film is the upcoming "Shadow Legacy," which you’re also directing. What drew you to step into that role?
ES: I’m not only directing this film but I’m also the writer/producer. More than 10 years ago, I had the idea for the script but only had time to write the treatment. I wrote several treatments at that time for other projects. I slowly started to realize that I didn’t just want to be a 1st AD or an editor. I wanted to do more than work on other people’s projects. Some of the projects I had been working on I worked on were commissioned pieces or other people’s dream projects. I had attempted to step into the director’s chair a few times over the past 6 years but nothing ever came to fruition. On one of the jobs I was 9 months pregnant and they kept being cagey about when the production dates were going to be. I finally pushed them and told them that I would be able to direct 3 months after giving birth. They were not willing to wait 3 months for me to direct. The production started 2 weeks after I had a caesarian but they had replaced me as director only a few weeks prior to that. After that happened, I really started to develop my own scripts when the intent of directing. There are some larger projects, like a short series TV series I’m developing that I know I won’t direct but will step into the role of creator and work with experienced showrunners to get my story told.

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
ES: I’ve been living in the Caribbean since 2006. I first lived in Barbados and now have been in Trinidad for almost 10 years. I found inspiration in the local folklore stories of the region. The inspiration for most of my stories has always started with a dream. Usually a vivid scene and, with this film as well as my TV series, once I started writing the script the characters wouldn’t leave me alone. They kept calling me back to finish.

Me: Despite trying to get the project going, it was halted by the events of the world last year. What news can you tell us about the project?
ES: We have been in the fundraising stage for some time now. We have been lucky to have the amazing Nancy Schreiber attached as our Director of Photography and we currently have the phenomenal actress Melinda Shankar attached in the lead role. When each of them read the script, they were eager to be a part of the project. We are looking for funding for this microbudget production and intend to launch a crowdfunding campaign to get a portion of the budget raised. It is my hope that in getting some of the budget raised the project will become more attractive to an executive producer to attach their name and help us get the remaining funds. Our crowdfunding campaign will be launching on Indiegogo at the end of February. Follow us on Instagram or Facebook at Shadow Legacy The Film to get updates.

Me: In addition, you’re also developed a vampire-themed TV series. What can you tell us about that so far?
ES: My pilot script was chosen out of 7,000 or so projects to take part of a PitchFest in Mexico. Only 200 projects were selected. This project explores the idea of vampires in the Caribbean through cultural influences and the regional folklore.

Me: Beyond these projects, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
ES: I have a couple of documentary projects I’d love to really get developed and a few more features I have at the treatment stage. My husband also has a few projects he wants to do as well. We are working toward the primary goal of getting our work produced but we are also incredibly committed to seeing the industry grow here in Trinidad and Tobago. We not only want to see our productions happen but also the productions of other creatives based here who share the same commitment to seeing the industry blossom beyond the stage it. The Caribbean definitely has a plethora of stories and a diverse unique culture that the rest of the world would enjoy.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
ES: Don’t give up. The things that matter most and are the most worthwhile do not come easy. It takes hard work and determination. At times it is difficult to persevere but you need to put your goals and dreams out into the universe. Have your goal in mind but don’t wear blinders. You may thing your goal can only be achieved by going in a certain direction but I can honestly say that I find myself where I am by trusting my gut instincts. I grew up in a small town in the Mid-west where I graduated with roughly 72 other people, most of whom I knew since kindergarten. I never dreamed I’d end up working in film in the Caribbean.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments