WiHM Special - Dawn Ellis Shea


An accomplished writer as well as a founder of the genre publication company D & T Publishing, Dawn Ellis Shea is working her way up the scene establishing herself as a leading figure in the scene. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month,  I talk with her about her early interest in writing, her process for writing and forming the company.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Dawn Ellis Shea: My daddy was a huge horror lover. My first memory of horror, is being about 3-4 years old and watching Creepshow 2, from behind my daddy’s back. He passed away in 2018, but he left me his legacy of horror to carry on. 

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
DES: I’ve always watched all kinds of movies, but horror has always been my favorite. Gosh, I have so many memories of my mom taking me to the video store to rent horror movies, watching them with my dad, sneaking them on T.V. at my grandparent’s house. Obviously, Creepshow 2, is high on the list, but Jaws, Halloween 1978, Night of the Living Dead, and Poltergeist. I saved all my money once and went and rented all 3 Exorcist movies, they’re amazing. Then when I was about 8-9, I went to a friend’s house for a sleepover and she had rented Pet Sematary (1989), thus my love for all things Creed began.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
DES: I started out reading horror with Bunnicula, followed by Goosebumps and Fear Street by Mr. Stine and quickly progressed to The King. My first King book was Skeleton Crew, that my uncle had left in a nightstand drawer. I do think that they helped shape my style. I took a lot from really great authors and created my own voice.

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
DES: I have written since I was very young. I actually wrote some short stories in the 7th grade, with the intention of making them into a “book.” Probably would’ve just been collected into a binder, at that point, but I had a friend that was making covers for them and I had a plan. A less open-minded teacher found a couple of them, and I was suspended from school because my stories were “inappropriate”. It kind of put me off of writing for a while.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
DES: I don’t really have a process. I just write when the mood strikes. I write at home, on my lunch break, on my laptop, on my phone, on post-its, wherever and whenever I can get the words down. I am hardly ever focused unless I am trying to make a deadline. I try to let it come naturally and not force myself to write a certain amount of words per day.

Me: Having contributed to various anthologies early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future projects?
DES: You learn patience, lots and lots of patience. You also learn to think, especially when it is a certain theme. I love themes, it always feels like creative writing class. I find that it helps me to be more focused and find suitable inspiration.

Me: As you're also one of the founders of the publishing company D&T Publishing. Where did the inspiration to start this come from?
DES: I had planned on doing an anthology using the alphabet by myself. An acquaintance mentioned getting some other authors involved and so, ABC’s of Terror was born and with it, D&T Publishing.

Me: What are some of your responsibilities working for the company? What do you enjoy about these assignments?
DES: Well, all of them. I am the D (Dawn) and my husband, is the T (Timothy). He does most of the bookkeeping and financial side, I do everything else. I love everything about running D&T. I love the authors and the readers, meeting new people, reading all of their amazing works and stories. It’s busy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Me: What are some of the goals of the company moving forward?
DES: We are going to continue to put out original anthologies, bring our signed authors' works to the public, and help new authors get published. Also, to get these books out on audio!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
DES: Our newest anthology, It’s All Fun and Games Until Somebody Dies is coming out on 2/26. We have Mark Towse’s novella, Nana, coming out in March. The first two books of S. Feaker’s, Haven Manor trilogy will be out over the next couple of months and then we have Josh Schlossberg’s novella, Malinae, coming in April.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
DES: Just keep trying! Don’t get down and out. Don’t let a rejection stop you. You got this! If ever I can help you with any advice or direction, feel free to reach out.

You can find D&T Publishing at the following locations:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments