WiHM Special - Cecilia Abate


The owner and operator of the site Horror Scholar, Cecilia Abate is working to provide a more in-depth and intelligent discussion on the genre with her site that highlights specific themes in each publication. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the genre, the specifics of the site and her future plans for expansion.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Cecilia Abate: Thank you very much! I’m an odd case in that I didn’t start as a child. I was always into spooky things and morbid stuff, but not actually horror media because I was a really anxious person and it just always affected me too much. So I actually only started wading into horror media in 2011. 

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
CA: I wasn’t! I was very easily scared, and horror stuck with me for a LONG time so I’d literally leave a situation if someone put a horror movie on. It was a hardline personal boundary. What changed it was taking a risk on American Horror Story when it premiered in 2011, and from there on in it was a full-blown obsession. I had a LOT of catching up to do.

Me: As the owner and founder of the site The Horror Scholar Journal, what inspired you to start the site?
CA: It wasn’t necessarily inspiration - I just needed a place to host the journal. The demand got to be that it wasn’t enough to just hand out Drive links, I wanted a more professional place to display our issues.

Me: What are some of the fundamental principles of the site? What does it provide for authors looking to publish their own work?
CA: So, Horror Scholar is based on the existing need to make the publishing process more approachable, rewarding, friendlier, and less alienating for the writers. I wanted to offer a publishing opportunity that pays and specifically targets less published writers, or folks who haven’t had a paper published yet.

Me: What are some of your favorite memories creating previous editions? What do you look for when handling submissions?
CA: Oh man, the process is SO chaotic. It’s definitely a love-hate artistic process where some days I feel like it’s coming together and the design is flowing, and there are other days when I just want to burn it to the ground. I think my favorite memories are when I find something that fits perfectly. Such as for the most recent issue, WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, I found the ultimate font for it after hours of searching. I was SO excited, cause it matched the title/branding font of the series! I was like, YES! FINALLY!

Me: Having handled themes related to 'American Horror Story,' 'Hannibal' and 'What We Do in the Shadows,' what future themes and developments do you have planned for the publication?
CA: That’s a secret! I can say though that the next theme is another big fan favorite.

Me: What future plans do you have for the expansion of the site?
CA: I’m considering putting a section with more resources, interviews with other scholars or WIHM features, or links to other dope publications/projects.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
CA: Well, one thing’s a secret, but I CAN say that I’ll be presenting at the Popular Culture Association and talking about the insights I’ve gleaned from my research on sexual violence in American Horror Story.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CA: I know it can look very unfriendly from the outside, but the sheer talent and opportunity in this genre is unmatched. There’s always room for you, and horror needs your voice.

To check out the site itself:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments