WiHM Special - Cassondra Brian


An upcoming beauty and make-up artist, Cassondra Brian has worked mainly with her husband Jed Brian offering effects work on his films in addition to her personal skills working more in the beauty side of the genre. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in make-up, her process for creating her work and other projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?  
Cassondra Brian: Hi! Thank you for talking with me. Growing up I watched horror movies from a young age. From the Chucky movies, Friday the 13th franchise, Halloween franchise, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies? 
CB: Yes, I grew up watching the slasher genre. When Scream came out, I even dressed up as Scream for Halloween. When I was young I loved to read, especially the R.L Stine Goosebump books. I loved the mystery/thrill of reading his books and watching horror movies does the same. As I mentioned earlier, I love the Halloween franchise and Friday the 13th franchise.

Me: What was the starting point to become a makeup artist? Were you always into effects-work growing up? 
CB: In my junior years I really started to enjoy beauty makeup. At that time I stuck to drugstore brands from Walmart. I remember later on towards the end of my high school years our closest mall got a Sephora store. At that time I didn’t know anything about higher-end makeup. I live in a very small town in southern IL. The closest mall to me is an hour and a half away. When Sephora came, I started to venture into it anytime I would go to the mall. That lead me to starting to watch YouTube videos which really helped me get into the beauty makeup aspect. I started to venture into special effects around 2016 when my husband, who wrote and directed the movie Unlisted Owner, said I should start practicing in that area.


Me: Who are some of your favorite artists growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
CB: Tom Savini, Lon Chaney, Jack Pierce, Milicent Patrick, etc. There’s several that would be my favorite honestly. They each did things in their own unique way and helped bring makeup effects to where it is today. Yes, I do because a lot of the makeup tricks used back then are still relevant in today’s time.

Me: What is your usual process to create new looks? How do you stay with an intriguing or unique idea?
CB: I look at a face as a blank canvas and envision in my head how I would create different looks on it. I never draw my thoughts out, I think of something and just go at it. Sometimes it’s what I envisioned and sometimes it turns out to be something completely different than how it first started out.

Me: Following your husband Jed into the film business, what do you recall about the shoot for his film 'Unlisted Owner?'
CB: Actually, I was not involved in the original production. But, recently I have been working on the upcoming director's cut of Unlisted Owner. Be sure to follow the Unlisted Owner Facebook page for updates.

Me: Beyond working on films, what do you do to help foster your creative spirit?
CB: I practice beauty makeup a lot. I watch a ton of different YouTube videos on special effects, as with Tik Tok and Instagram. During the fall months, I do special effects/Halloween looks on others. Throughout the year I actually do bridal makeup and any other makeup look someone would like when they reach out to me.


Me: Whether working on beauty makeup or special effects for films, do you have a preference, if any, towards either particular style? Have you found any difference between doing either one? 
CB: Honestly, I love doing them both equally. I love being asked to do a bridal party and the bride herself. It’s a special feeling to know someone trusts you with their big day and you get to enhance their beauty features for a day they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Special effects gives me the same feeling but in its own way. Being able to make a nasty wound look so realistic and startle people is a great feeling. To be able to take a face from a person and add some prosthetics can completely transform their face into whatever style you’re going for. Whether a witch, a vampire, a clown, etc. Special effects is just so much fun. You can literally do any look you want! With or without gore.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
CB: I am very excited to be working on the Unlisted Owners directors cut! There are other upcoming projects that are in preproduction, unfortunately, I cannot say any details just yet.

If you’d like to see updates whenever information is released you can follow me at @sondrafxbeauty on Instagram and Cassondra’s Makeup & Fx on Facebook.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CB: Never sell yourself short! Never tell yourself you cannot do something! Whenever you see a look and you want to attempt the look, you have to remember everyone’s features are different. You may finish the look and think it looks nothing like what you were trying to achieve, but in reality, you did it in your own way and on someone/something different than what is in the photo. I feel that is one statement everyone needs to remember. It’s also good to be different! Being different is what helps your work to stand out from all of the others. Thank you again for taking your time to ask me some questions!

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments