WiHM Special - Brooklyn Ann


An accomplished writer both in and out of the genre, author Brooklyn Ann manages to keep herself in the public eye with a number of written works being published in a variety of styles and genres. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in writing, getting into her writing styles and her line of genre novels 'The B-Mine Series.'


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Brooklyn Ann: Hi! Thanks for having me! I got into horror when I was two years old and sneaked behind the couch when my mom was watching horror movies. When she caught me, she saw that I liked them and I became her horror buddy for the rest of her life.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
BA: Love genre films! The Nightmare on Elm Street films were my first love. Such a unique and terrifying concept. ANYTHING is possible in the dream world, which opens the door for things that are either horrifying or hilarious. Freddy’s corny wisecracks in the sequels, along with the Mel Brooks films my dad introduced me to lead to my special love for horror comedies and cheesy B-movies.

Me: When did you first discover your passion for writing? Were you always into writing growing up?
BA: I always did well on various creative writing projects all through my years in public school and my teachers often told me I should become a writer when I grew up. My answer was always “No. I want to be a paleontologist/rock star/anarchist/illustrator/etc.” Even as I was writing little side stories on my own about talking cats, vampires, mages, and other fun things. It wasn’t until I lost my job as an auto mechanic due to shoulder injuries making my work too slow before I pulled out an unfinished story and realized, “Oh, sh*t! Maybe I should be a writer!”

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
BA: My early favorites were Michael Crichton, Stephen King, Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman, Anne Rice, Johanna Lindsey, Eloisa James, and Virginia Henley. I’m definitely influenced by all of them and more. I put a lot of Stephen King tributes in most of my books.

Me: What was the initial inspiration to get into the industry?
BA: I’d always wanted to write a horror story, but no matter what I was trying to write, my characters always fell in love. So, I resigned myself to writing romance and giving little tributes to horror here and there in my works. But when my publisher asked for a new series, I voiced my woes to my boyfriend about wanting to write horror, I even had an idea for a series of 80s B Movie tributes, but about romance always happening, he was the one who told me I could do both.

I can’t believe I didn’t realize that in the first place. After all, romance has countless subgenres included, from mystery to fantasy to western and so on. Why not write horror stories where instead of a final girl, there’s a final couple? The books have been a joy to write.


Me: While you also have a horror line, you’re also known for writing urban fantasy and romance. Is there a difference in your writing mindset to write in these varying styles?
BA: Not so much a difference as there is my being in a different mood to write in a different world. Each has different challenges. In my heavy metal romance series, there’s nothing supernatural going on, (that those characters are aware of, anyway) so the conflicts are a lot different. In my urban fantasy series, not only do I have all my rules for the supernatural beings and other worlds, but I also have to work the main plot into each book while making sure the overarching series plot still moves along.

In my horror series, I get to think of my favorite aspects of horror films and see how I can incorporate them in fun ways in my books. Decapitations, disembowelment, etc. It’s also the first series where the common ground is the setting, so I don’t have to worry about continuing characters or events. They’re referenced, but each book is its own new thing.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
BA: On good days, I crack open a Red Bull, put my headphones on, start my writing playlist, and get to work. On bad days I pull up a timer and do writing sprints in a Facebook group dedicated to that purpose. As for the story aspect, sometimes I write a full or partial outline, and other times I start with nothing but a basic idea.

Me: Your horror series, B-Mine, started with the novel “His Final Girl.” How did you settle on the plotline for the novel?
BA: Each book in the B Mine series focuses on a B Movie trope. “Summer Camp Slasher” was the easiest one to start with. It’s also the one with the highest body count. The most challenging part of the plot was that the hero and heroine were NOT the types of characters to want to be camp counselors, much less attend summer camp. Then I remembered that my school made us go camping for 4 days in sixth grade. So, I just made my fictional school do that for high school seniors. The area I live in also has a few abandoned mines with tragic backstories,


Me: The follow-up novels in the series, “Her Haunted Heart” and “His Scream Queen,” continue the theme of romance at the heart of the horrors surrounding the characters. Is there anything about this approach that makes the novels feel more unique and personal?
BA: Aside from having it pointed out that I COULD write horror despite having characters that always end up falling in love. I really did like how Nightmare on Elm Street 4 had a final couple instead of a final girl. I liked it so much that I wanted MORE of that. Have the relationship develop as the protagonists fight to defeat, or at least survive, the big evil.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
BA: The final (for now) installment of the B Mine series was supposed to release last October, but there were some issues going on in my personal life that made the publisher reschedule it for late September 2021. HER HALLOWEEN PARTY is a story where a fraternity and sorority decide to have their party and initiations in the Raimi House, the most notoriously evil house in town. I’ve been hyping up that house since Book 1 and I hope the readers get the payoff they deserve.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
BA: To all the women who read this and are considering taking part in the horror genre, whether as a novelist, screenwriter, critic, director, artist, filmmaker, etc., I say: PLEASE, go for it! Your voice is needed. The more diverse perspectives we have, the richer the genre becomes.

To follow more of her work, check out her social media sites:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments