WiHM Special - Bridget Johnson


An accomplished writer and director, Bridget Johnson is a rapidly-emerging filmmaker as she uses her production company Dare to Dream Productions to move up in the industry working on not just genre films but other productions as well. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her interest in the industry, starting the company and future projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Bridget Johnson: I started watching horror movies when I was just eight years old with my dad. It’s never too early {laughs}. He showed me The Creature from the Black Lagoon and I fell in love with the special effects created for the monsters. I wanted to learn how to create movie magic. I used to check out piles and piles of scary stories for kids when I was young and immersed myself into the paranormal. I started ghost hunting in local cemeteries. I was that “weird” kid in class. Now, I’ve learned to embrace the weird. Everything changed when I learned about the urban legend of Resurrection Mary. At fifteen, I created my horror film, Death is not the End, about her life as a ghost and her everlasting love for her boyfriend who is still alive. It was my first film. It ended up being 40 minutes which is crazy to think about because that’s basically a feature film at just 15 years old! I always look back on this when I’m going through a rough patch in my film career and it gives me the motivation to keep going. I couldn’t get permission to film at Resurrection Cemetery but got permission to film at my local one. I got professional actors and used my friends for the crew. Filming Death is Not the End made me realize that I wanted to be a filmmaker and specifically make horror films or films that explore the unknown.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
BJ: Horror was the genre I always turned to. It made me intrigued about the human experience and think from outside the box. I loved how a lot of horror movies have deep subtext about society and makes the audience question their own lives. The Soska Sister’s American Mary got me into watching horror movies and showed me that womxn can make films especially horror movies. At the time there wasn’t a lot of representation of womxn filmmakers, even less in horror to look up to. The Soska Sisters inspired me to keep going towards my dream of becoming a filmmaker. They introduced me to Women in Horror Month and I’ve always dreamed of making a PSA for it or getting interviewed, so I just want to thank Don for making my childhood dream a reality!

Me: When did you first discover your passion for filmmaking? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
BJ: I first discovered my passion for filmmaking when I was 12 years old. I got my first little red Nikon Coolpix camera for my birthday from my mom. I will always thank her for this because if I didn’t get a camera at such a young age I don’t think I would be where I am today. Accessibility is a major reason why younger people cannot follow their dreams or learn about what they like/don’t like. I hope to change this one day. YouTube was where I discovered my passion for filmmaking because I learned about short films and how to make one. I watched hours of film videos from Film Riot and got inspired to make a short. My first short was a horror film about a serial killer terrorizing two high school teen girls. It was called No Answer. It was absolute trash, but you’ve got to start somewhere. I learned how much I loved the process of filmmaking. There’s magic when you are collaborating, get that creative spark randomly, and experiment.

Directing and Writing in this industry appeals to me the most because I have the power to inspire others. I can be that representation that I never had growing up. I want someone (especially young queer folxs) to look up to me and be inspired by my films to follow their own dreams and be proud of who they are.

Me: When writing a new project, what's a fall-back tactic that you're always able to draw inspiration from?
BJ: Meditation always gives me inspiration for film ideas. They will spontaneously come to me when I get in a state of consciousness where I am fully at peace. Sometimes it’s just an idea for a character or other times it’s a whole concept. I also turn to meditation to figure out plot holes or develop a character’s arc. It’s really hard to describe but I suggest getting into meditation if you are an artist. It helps you get in touch with who you really are and what kind of stories you want to tell or art you want to make. It’s a beautiful thing.

Another place where I draw inspiration from is artwork or photography. I used to spend hours in art museums around Chicago trying to find pieces that drew me in and made me ask questions. What is the artist trying to say? What would happen after or before this piece? Each photograph or art piece has its unique story.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer writing? What is the process like when you start in on a new story?
BJ: Most of the time, I write female-centric stories with female protagonists. I prefer writing female-centric stories because that is what I know, it’s my own experience. I don’t want to speak for others. Everyone has their own unique voice, and everyone should be able to embrace it and tell their own story not have someone else tell it. In terms of types of characters, I love writing villain roles because it’s fascinating to dive into their psychology. I love the creative process of researching for a film and researching why a character would act a certain way or have specific beliefs.

When I start a new story, I grab my journal where I put all my film ideas and circle the aspects I like or what’s working. Then, I start with creating character breakdowns and character journals. Knowing your characters is essential before you even start writing. I imagine as if they are real people and interview them about their life.

An exercise that I do that I learned in film school is to imagine you’re a therapist and you are sitting with your character. Why are they coming to you? What questions would you ask? How would they respond? What is their physical appearance? Any mannerisms? How do they feel talking with a therapist? This helps you get to know your characters' strengths and flaws which are essential for creating three-dimensional characters who change.

After doing these for all of my characters even the minor ones, I start to outline the story. I’m a kinetic creator so I love to write plot points on post-it notes and spread the story out from start to finish. This is where the structure of my film is created too. Once I lay it out fully on my wall, I can see the bigger picture and figure out what needs to be re-arranged or needs to be cut. This is probably one of my favorite parts of screenwriting. After I edit the post-it notes, I dive into writing on the Final Draft. I love how easy writing is on a laptop however, sometimes I wish I could spend a whole month isolated without a phone in a cabin in Massachusetts writing a feature on a typewriter. How cool would that be? Just like the great classic writers like Emerson who is a huge inspiration of mine.



Me: Having founded your own studio Dare to Dream Productions, where did the inspiration to start this come from? What type of projects and services has it provided?
BJ: I started Dare to Dream Productions to encourage others to follow their dreams and to make other’s dreams and stories come to life. Since I started film at 12, I wanted to start my own film company, but everyone said I was “too young”. You’re never too young or too old to do anything. Don’t let others tell you that. I officially signed the paperwork when I was 18. I started Dare to Dream Productions in order to create socially aware thought-provoking films with inclusive casts and crews because I want to create my own change in the industry. We amplify voices that have been marginalized and create active discussions through our films. We will not be silent. I want to change the filmmaking standard of working 12-16 hours on a film set. It’s not healthy for anyone especially for those who struggle with mental illness (something that is very common in the film world). We are not machines. I want to create a healthy, fun, collaborative, and inclusive environment for all on set while staying on budget. It’s possible if we just stop thinking too much and start prioritizing cast and crew’s mental health.

We have done corporate work like promo videos for specific companies or tutorial videos. We manage the company’s social media accounts and create content for them. We’ve done photography and videography for events but since Covid-19 has impacted all of us we haven’t been able to do this. We provide script consultations and feedback for shorts, features, and pilots. We create YouTube intros and outros for creators and can also edit their videos.

We run a film podcast (Dare to Dream Productions Podcast) with professional filmmakers from across the world as guests. I started this during the pandemic to educate and start discussions about important topics that are rarely discussed. For example, mental health in the film industry, what it means to be inclusive on set, and finding your authentic voice. We’ve had some amazing guests like horror filmmaker Anna Biller, Julio Macat, DP of Home Alone, and John DeTarsio, DP of MTV’s Catfish. I couldn’t do it without my interns especially my editor, Luke Bechtel.

We’re working on a ton of projects right now and just finished our horror/sci-fi short Perimortem. It will be hitting the festival circuit this Summer! We’re very excited to see what people think especially about the ending! We’re working on a music video for the Chicago R&B artist Gem Tree. I’m writing my third feature film, which is a drama (some may consider it a horror film) about a teen struggling to accept her sexuality who is forced to grow up when her mom is involuntarily forced into a psych ward. It’s a film that hits close to home and my gut is telling me it will be my first feature film that I direct!

Me: With your first shorts 'The Story of Us,' 'A Pandemic Christmas Story' and 'Perimortem' winning you plenty of success and festival acclaim, what have you learned from the feedback provided at these events to grow your skills as you continue?
BJ: I’ve learned that authenticity is key. Listen to your heart and your intuition. In the film industry, you’re going to get a lot of rejection and harsh criticism. Don’t take any of it personally! Everyone is just projecting their own experiences onto you. Know the difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism that is subjective. From the feedback that I have gotten, I’ve learned to jump right into the story, don’t wait. Exposition is dying in this new world of filmmaking, maybe it’s because our attention spans are becoming less and less but start your film with action or conflict. Give your audience some suspense. I’ve also got critiqued for my short films being too long. Programmers want 5-minute shorts now so the shorter the better. But don’t forget it’s your own story and you should listen to your heart.

Me: Having also announced the upcoming genre short 'Evade,' what details can you provide about this project?
BJ: Evade was the first feature film that I wrote sophomore year of college. An indecisive student nurse must escape from getting converted by a charming ridesharing driver who’s kidnapped her and has disturbing religious intentions for her. Think Get Out but gay. It has a lot of social commentary about what it’s like to be a womxn today specifically a lesbian womxn. The script is done, and I’ve been editing it over the past couple of years to make it the best it could be. My goal is to pitch it to Blumhouse or MonkeyPaw when I’m in California this Summer for an internship, but I would be grateful for any opportunity that comes to make it come to life. I want to make it so much because there is a lack of horror films with queer protagonists. A lot of LGBT+ films are about coming out when coming out is just a small part of the queer experience. I want to make films that are not about being queer or coming out but rather films that just happen to have queer protagonists. Evade is an example of this.

Me: Beyond these projects, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
BJ: My co-director and I are working on writing the feature of Perimortem because we want it to serve as a proof-of-concept. The film will tackle the theme of fate vs. free will and how the elite/rich have control of their free will where the lower class does not. It’s a dark but truthful look into society and the harm capitalism has done. I’m also in production right now for a documentary about childhood dreams where we interviewed people of variety of ages from across the globe about their dreams. It will be released on our YouTube channel in Summer 2021. We want to make it accessible to all, so we can inspire others!

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
BJ: Be yourself! Find your unique voice and style that only you have and tell stories that matter to you. What are you passionate about? What intrigues you? Authenticity and having confidence in yourself are key. Don’t let men take control of your own film, constantly interrupt you, one-up you all the time, or tell you womxn don’t and can’t make films. These all have happened to me and now I don’t put up with that bs. Have the confidence to speak up and tell them this is not okay. Work with genuine souls who raise the vibration and make working collaborative and fun!

Take small steps each day towards your dreams. Do you want to be a writer? Write 5 pages a day. Join a writer’s club or room (there are a ton of them virtual now). Do you want to direct? Study the greats and what makes them stand out. Find out what makes you stand out. Email a director who’s local and ask if you can job shadow or if they’re looking for an assistant. Go on set or just grab your phone or borrow a friend’s camera and just start shooting! Go after your dreams! What are you waiting for? Go!

To follow her company's work, check out its official website:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments