WiHM Special - Beatrice Sniper


One of the most accomplished make-up artists in the indie scene, Beatrice Sniper has formed a fantastic reputation for her work in numerous genre productions, TV shows and other make-up heavy commissions. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the industry, forming her company Beahive Studios and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Beatrice Sniper: I got into horror very late in life. I grew up in a family that was off-the-boat Russians, watched a lot of Russian cartoons and whatever was on basic cable. I went to a religious school where nobody really watched TV or Movies. My film knowledge was very limited, I joke that I grew up in a cave. I was into dark art though, I remember getting my notebooks confiscated because of my drawings, I was sent to the principal's office for being different, and I was sent to therapy which made me feel more like an outcast. But it was only later when I turned 18, my first boyfriend was this horror nerd who introduced me to some classics like Friday the 13th, Cannibal, Evil Dead, Reanimator, Cannibal Holocaust, Necromania, etc. I didn’t really understand horror movies, because it was nothing that I’ve ever seen before, the effects look so real and the budget/acting was questionable at times. They made movies about things I never even dreamed of. I don’t think I appreciated it then as much as I do now.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for makeup and effects-work? Who were some of the inspirations you followed to enter the industry?
BS: Unfortunately, another thing I discovered late in life. I was going to college for Computer Animation, and we were required to take a few elective classes that didn’t necessarily fall under our major. The class I took was called “Intro to Makeup for Film and TV” taught by Paul J. Mason. I thought why not, it sounds like an easy A. It was there that I was taught the basics of makeup - how to apply straight makeup, cuts, burns, blood, etc with a kit that the class shared. It opened up a new world for me and as I revisited some movies, I was able to see horror movies as an art, and I grew to appreciate it more. People like Rick Baker, Clive Barker, Del Torro, David Cronenberg, Greg Nicotero, Ve Neil, Stan Winston, Dick Smith, Etc brought so much to the table that changed how we see movies. It was like a warm welcome for being different - which is what I was always told is bad.

Me: As you've become known for your attention to detail on a set, what tools and skills have you learned to help aid you with spotting those elements before they're an issue?
BS: I would say that when you’re finished applying makeup, and the talent is placed in front of the camera, you should always be behind the monitor to check that everything is as it should be. What we see in real life vs what we see on the screen can be very different. An edge might be more visible on-screen, the colors might have changed based on the tone settings of the camera. Always be on top of it, but also always stay respectful. A lot can happen on set, there is a lot of stress that everyone carries with them, it’s not always an ideal situation (like doing makeup in the backseat of a car, or being jammed into a tiny bathroom). Just gotta pull through and stay positive and do your part. There are times where I had to step up and start directing as well because the set really needed it. Supporting your fellow crew-mates is crucial too, I think. Making movies is difficult, that's why contributing whatever you could because you love it, because you want the best for whatever you’re working on. Film is the one medium where you need a TEAM to complete it, so learning to work together is a must, even if it means helping to bring out the best in each other.

Me: If you could be best-described as 'in-your-element' working on a set, what would you be performing and why do you feel that way?
BS: I really enjoy doing the special effects makeup because it branches out into so many sections. It can be making creatures, making gore, making someone older/balder/fatter/deformed/sicker, it can be body or face painting. Then there is stuff you do when you aren’t on set like lifecasting, sculpting prosthetics, molding, casting, building, using all kinds of materials almost like a laboratory. It’s science in art, and it's a beautiful thing. I get addicted to “being in the zone” feeling, where it's just me making art. It’s so self-therapeutic, almost like a form of meditation.


Me: What was the experience like going from shorts to a TV series when you signed up to work on 
'Graves?'
BS: TV series is always interesting because you’re following the characters and their storylines. You create almost like a family because you struggled together, making memories together. Creating characters and redeveloping them so they fit to the storyline. The group was wonderful to work with and the great thing about it is that we watch each other grow and change throughout the seasons collaborating. We support each other's projects, we follow each other's work. It's creating those bonds through filmmaking that makes it all worthwhile.

Me: You founded Beahive Studios to expand your boundaries working in the industry. What are some of the more memorable projects the company has afforded you?
BS: So many to choose from, really. Each project is another adventure, another excuse to test yourself and help you step outside of your comfort zone by making something you’ve never made before. Even creating make-ups for conventions is another favorite of mine because I get the freedom to create what I want, and then walk around with the actor and see people's jaws drop because being next to a character in makeup is a surreal experience. Traveling also adds to the fun. I got to spend 3 months in Hong Kong doing a bunch of make-ups daily. I sometimes get flown to different parts of the USA to do SFX makeup for military training. I once got a job to create 2 costumes in 5 days, and I was like I don't know how to use a sewing machine but I'll be able to by next week. Anything that kicks my butt usually tends to be most memorable because I get to push myself to achieving goals and I watch myself grow. And I see it in my art throughout the years, I'm constantly learning more and applying the lessons to my current work.

Me: You were honored with a festival award for your team on the film 'Matyroshka.' What do you recall about working on the film in particular?
BS: It was such a fun project, it’s a shame that it was only a short. Sometimes working alongside good folks only makes you love your job more because people appreciate you for being in the industry. I was originally brought on to do regular makeup, but then jumped in to do the special effects and just took over. Before we know it, people are covered in blood, gore, and slime all over the floor and we’re just laughing about it. I can say I am truly lucky to be able to have the opportunity for these experiences.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
BS: A couple of things that I'm not allowed to discuss yet due to NDAs, but I promise you it’s only gonna get more interesting.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
BS: I would just say don't be intimidated by the men dominating this field. I know even in the SFX industry, a lot of females are automatically assumed as Beauty Makeup Artists instead of monster makers, being turned down for work or paid less for doing the same work as men. Sexism still exists just as much as racism does. But don't let that stop you from doing what you want to do. The world is changing, the film industry is changing, the way we operate is changing, we have more communities (such as Women in Horror). If you truly enjoy it, stick with it. Let your work speak for itself. If it's difficult, it's worth it. If at the end of the day, you can say you enjoy what you do, then keep doing what you enjoy. That is the only way to happiness.

Thanks so much for having me :)

To follow more of her work, check out her official site:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments