WiHM Special - Timberly'k Simmons


An up-and-coming actress, model and entrepreneur, Timberly'k Simmons has a solid mixture of genre and outside credits to her name as she rises through the industry making her brand more visible for others. Now, in honor of Black History Month and Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early aspirations in the industry, her skills as an actress and her work in the genre working with director Felicia Rivers.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Timberly'k Simmons: I got the urge to get into acting after watching my mother, sister, and cousins act in church plays.

Me: What was the most appealing and intriguing aspect towards entering the industry that you've found since?
TS: The most appealing and intriguing aspect towards entering the industry that I’ve found is that there are so many different acting mediums from stage to film to tv commercials and sitcoms!

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
TS: There is not a specific kind of character that I prefer playing, but I tend to find comical characters to be the most fun for me.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
TS: I’ve acquired crying skills that have transferred to future projects. No, Seriously. I’ve become great at crying! LOL!

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
TS: To stay in character even when I’m not filming, I still tend to act like the character. I call my castmates by their character name, and if someone calls me, I don’t answer to my own name… just my character’s name.

Me: Having performed in many shorts and features for indie filmmaker Felicia Rivers, what about her style and approaches keeps bringing you around to work with her?
TS: Felicia’s style is to always be shooting SOMETHING! She’s always working. There aren’t that many breaks between her projects. She works with people from all over the world. She stays humble throughout the process and that’s what keeps bringing me back around to work with her.

Me: Your first short together, 'Walk It Off,' saw you play Jessica. Also being your first acting job, what do you remember your time filming the short?
TS: Walk It Off was my first film acting job with Felicia but not my first acting job. I’ve been acting since childhood in church plays and school plays. Prior to the film, I did professional stage working with the late Broadway Director John Barracuda, Art Gilliard of Art Forms & Theatre Concepts, as well as Rukayiah Williams of No Limits Creations. I’ve been in over 8 Stage Productions showcased at major festivals such as the MOJA Arts Festival and Piccolo-Spoleto Festivals in Charleston, SC.

Me: Returning to work with her on the shorts 7 Days 2 Christmas, The Clean Up and Treasure Box, did that help to make you more comfortable not just with her but the rest of her stock group of actors and actresses?
TS: I’m a down to earth people person so I’m already comfortable meeting new people, but knowing her and her style of filming… yes it made it easier to work with her and others.

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaboration together?
TS: The most memorable experience would be when Felicia took me with her to Atlanta around a bunch of strangers and recording in the deep dark woods of unknown places in Atlanta GA. It was an adventurous experience.

Me: Outside of those films, you've also landed roles in several other indie and non-genre films. What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
TS: These experiences added a major boost of confidence and self-belief. Without those, you will struggle as an actor.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
TS: I’m working on my own film and music score! Still modeling here and there as well.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
TS: If you want to work in horror films, find your horror niche. Mine are thrillers and comical horror. Find yours, get in the mirror, or on TikTok, and practice, practice, practice!!! Get with a local group of actors and directors and start working for free until your Big Break pays you off!!!

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments