WiHM Special - Comika Hartford


A dynamic presence in the industry, writer/director/actress Comika Hartford has built up an impressive resume with her work spanning across various genres and formats from shorts and series to features as well. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month and Black History Month, I talk with her about getting into the industry, her newest project The Friend and other upcoming films.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Comika Hartford: Well growing up on The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery, I always wanted to be Rod Serling and later when I secretly watched ALIEN at a friend's house my love affair with the genre was solidified after seeing a female protagonist. Representation really does matter.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies? 
CH: After ALIEN my favorite film was ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, I definitely identified with Plissken & his distrust of those who work forces, lol! 

Me: Where did you get the urge to become an actress? 
CH: I saw Rhodessa Jones perform a one-woman show in San Francisco; BIG BUTT GIRLS AND HARD HEADED WOMEN. After that, I was driven to work with her and eventually joined her theater project THE MEDEA PROJECT that goes into local jails and creates theater pieces with incarcerated women looking to use art as a vehicle for healing and self-expression.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
CH: Vampires. I just love vampires… *smiles in weirdo*

Me: With plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to feature-film projects?
CH: Understanding the cost of company moves definitely informs me when I'm writing an indie feature, the more I can eliminate unnecessary expenses the better.


Me: Your newest effort, "The Friend," is coming out soon. What drew you to the character of St. Binary? How did you approach the role while filming?
CH: Well Jon Sanborn approached me & of course I wanted to be part of anything with John Cameron Mitchell! Also, I felt an immediate connection to the St. Binary character; I've always felt that I was at least two people & as a writer, I'm always speaking for & to my characters. 

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
CH: Honestly I take every break I can! When I'm not filming I'm either resting or connecting with the other artists & the director to make sure we're on the same page and that what I'm bringing to the party is on point with the mission.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
CH: Well since we were dealing with COVID regulations everything was very planned out & the cast never got to meet or be in the same room. While that was a challenge I feel that it created a situation where we all had to trust ourselves, honor our instincts, and commit to Jon's vision. 

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
CH: Only that since I have only seen the crew from over 6 ft away & in masks, I keep finding out what everyone looks like as we friend each other online! 🤣


Me: You also wrote, directed and acted in the soon-to-be-released short "The Interview." Where did the inspiration come from to jump on board as a director?
CH: I actually didn't, the scheduled director was ill on our only shooting day so I had to step up & luckily my partner in crime, Torian Allen has had my back all the way. He's also the director of the last episode of my web series THE GREY AREA coming out next month.

Me: Did it challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once on a project like this? How do you balance those priorities during a shoot?
CH: Luckily I had a really talented actress Jasmine Charmaine Robinson bringing her A-game so I could concentrate on the details. If I get funding to shoot the whole series (The Interview is a stand-alone micro-short but it's taken from a web series I wrote called LEGACY) I plan to develop her character and shoot around her schedule.

Me: More recently, you're also doing the kids' film "The Whimsical Washingtons." What can you tell us about the project?
CH: It's my love letter to all my Black goth friends and their kids. Basically, it's The Addams Family meets Scooby-Doo & while I normally write adult stories I am loving the embracing of whimsy and joy right now. We all deserve some joy.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
CH: I am working on a feature called THE CABIN that explores generational trauma and its link to generational wealth. It questions who really owns anything when you're standing on stolen land… Yeah. I'm probably going to get some death threats for this one. Not sorry.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CH: Write all the things. Shoot all the things. If you don't know something, just ask someone who does. And If anyone makes fun of you for not knowing something they're dicks. #DontBeADick

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments