Interview: Kara Mellyn (Actor in Derelicts (2020))


A new name on the indie scene in Texas, actress Kara Mellyn has enjoyed a few roles in the past in the lead-up to her latest venture in the feature-film Derelicts. Now, in honor of the films' release, I talk with her about her early ventures in her career, working on the film itself and what's coming up in the future.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Kara Mellyn: Where? Not sure, but the acting itch starts with middle school theatre so I could get some attention.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
KM: I actually don't watch horror films. I like sleeping. It's a different story if you're the scary part, though.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
KM: Any big character. Characters that move around a lot. I have a lot of energy to get out.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films and TV shows early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
KM: I've worked on a few shorts, and I've learned that acting is just another job. (A fun job, but a job nonetheless.) The biggest part is being professional and showing up. Of course, there's a lot of other work to be done, but there's not enough time to be a diva.


Me: So, that brings us to your new film 'Derelicts.' What can you tell us about your character Bo? How did you approach the role?
KM: Bo was originally meant to be cast as a woman in her 40's. I showed up to the audition and was just insane enough. I was asked by Matt to reread a scene as an "inbred trashcan witch." I couldn't tell you what that means or how I managed to pull that off, but when I was offered the role, I tried my best to keep those three words in my head.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
KM: The set was mostly this house that was rented for a month, so we were on a time limit. It was in July, I think. We had to turn off the AC during takes, so a house full of cast and crew made for some sweaty times. Everyone was there to work, though.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
KM: Nothing too cheeky as far as stories go. But I bounded with Marcela who murdered me by buying her an Attack on Titan mug. Then we were friends forever and now we refer to each other as wives. Not funny, but nice that a violently gory anime made me a good friend.

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? Thank you again for your time!
KM: I'm not working on anything film-wise, but I'm doing research to run a twitch stream. I mostly plan to play Zelda games and be a dork.

Comments