Interview - Honey Lauren (Actress in Sweet Taste of Souls (2020))


One of the most accomplished names in the genre, cult-film star Honey Lauren has earned plenty of accolades and fame throughout her career as well as performing in multitudes of beloved genre efforts. Now, in honor of the release of her newest film Sweet Taste of Souls coming soon, I talk with her about her early acting experience, how she approaches her roles and the upcoming film itself.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Honey Lauren: Hello! Gosh, thank you so much for having me!!!

I grew up in Los Angeles, near Hollywood and acting was something I always, always knew I wanted to do. I can’t say I even remember where the desire first came from…  My parents, they were very cool and supportive to a point… they got me into acting classes, art classes and dance classes, but they did not let me pursue acting professionally. I left home at sixteen, I went to the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, a wonderful conservatory and worked with the Award-Winning, Angel’s of Light…  Several years later, I came back to LA where I finally really got to pursue my career professionally.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
HL: I was into all kinds of films growing up. There was a groovy arthouse theater not far from us and I got to see all kinds of films… It was incredible. My brother and I went to the movies a lot…They actually had triple features!

I remember seeing at one point, THE HILLS HAVE EYES and to this day I totally, 100% believe in the hill people!  In fact, for the longest time, I would not take a road trip by myself for fear of them… True story!

I saw JAWS… I remember being a kid and my father taking me and at a certain point, (I remember exactly where), he screamed… and when you see your father scream… it’s horrifying and kinda cool…  So, I think my love for genre/horror films started then! And as I think about it, I’m pretty old school… to me the best horror film ever made was ROSEMARY’S BABY

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
HL: Well, so much of casting is type casting… And because of that, I’ve always been fortunate to play roles that were more character-driven… And I like that. What I love most is doing period pieces. And because of my “look”, I do seem to book many of those…

You know, I suppose I never really “looked” like someone’s mom…  but I think I would love having the opportunity to play one in a film...  I have in commercials… I dig it.

Like all actors, I look for interesting, nuanced roles…

Me: Having worked as a dancer and plenty of TV shows early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
HL: That’s a really good question.  Having danced I believe was very helpful for me. It helped me to really be comfortable in my body as I perform… Body language is everything really and helps with a detailed and subtle performance… Often times, I work some dance into my roles.  It’s fun when that happens, but it has to be completely organic. And when it does happen, it’s amazing! I don’t really prepare differently for television and film roles… the only difference is that more often in film, you get to have a little rehearsal.  I love that.

I have done several Soap Operas and those were wonderful learning experiences as well… You learn to be able to zig and zag with them… the script is always changing so you have to really be on toes… you have to learn to be flexible and not be so much in your head… They're awesome. I always compare “Soaps” to ‘actor camp’.

Me: What are some fall-back tactics you’ve found to help stay in character on-set while filming?
HL: I’m one of those actors that really need to focus on set. I don’t know how people do it otherwise…  Unless it’s a comedy and then talking and joking around can really loosen you up…

… One thing I do, I let the cast and crew know not to take it personally between takes if I’m not sociable. That’s helpful for me and I pretty much like to be with myself… even when the make-up person touches me up during those times, I don’t make eye contact and again, that helps…  I guess I really need to be left alone. It sounds dramatic…

I have to say for me, really communicating with the people I work with is so helpful. We all have our own process and any support we can give each other is wonderful…


Me: So, that brings us to your new film 'Sweet Taste of Souls.' What can you tell us about your character Ellinore? How did you approach the role?
HL: With SWEET TASTE OF SOULS…

Wow, this is one of those roles where I definitely had to let the crew know I’m “just in character” and please don’t take it to heart if I look unhappy on set.  I remember specifically telling that to Bee Pedersen, one of the producers who was always on set. Gosh, I love and adore this woman, so much.  And she may not know this but just her presence there was so helpful to me. I felt her kindness and I get teary as I think about this…There were a lot of tears and a lot of pain with Ellinore.  I work to be as authentic as possible as I approach any role… no matter what the genre of the film. I work to be as grounded in reality as possible. I honestly don’t know how to work any other way…  And with Ellinore, I had to go to some places that were so sad…  Just talking about it makes me relive it a little…

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
HL: This was a really fun set to be on. Terry Ross, the director, she’s a real force, such a strong woman. I really look up to her. And she LOVES actors… she’s an actress herself and I always find that actors make the best directors.

The crew was lovely… all of them. And they were all so respectful…  Wow, it was kind of crazy… Production rented a huge house in Julian California where we shot and we all stayed there!  We slept there, ate dinners together… we really got to know each other. Francia Cohen, she did my hair and make-up, she’s SO talented…  Felicity Mudgett, the writer of the film, she would come and eat with us and hang out a little at night and she’s one of the most interested people you will ever meet!

I became close to several people I met on this shoot and I know I’ll be friends with them for the rest of my life. I also had the opportunity to hire some folks for a film I wrote and directed… Many of us have kept in touch and I’m so grateful for that.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
HL: I do!!! Well… I’m not the best driver… in fact, I suck at it, HA!!  So, Julian California is a mountain town.  Those Hill People I talked about earlier, I was sure I would see them on my drive up there…  But really it’s gorgeous there.  So, I remember one day I drove my car to set with Francia, the make-up lady… It was a short ride on a winding mountain road. We left late afternoon and by the time we wrapped, it was well into the middle of the night.  On the ride back to the house, I had sweet Francia in the passenger seat in front and her assistant in the back… The road was absolutely black and I promise you, even with my high-beams on, I was having a difficult time seeing…. Suddenly, a bright pair of headlights were coming our way and now I was completely blinded… once they passed I stopped the car in the middle of the road and completely broke down in tears…  Thankfully these two kind ladies I was with talked me through some narrow turns as we arrived safely back to the house…  We all laughed about it when it was over…really it was so funny…  I can’t believe how scared I was… After that, My night, mountain driving… Well, I was a pro!

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
HL: This year I wrote and directed a short called WIVES OF THE SKIES that did wonderfully on the festival circuit and was picked up by Hewes Pictures. It was just released worldwide on PRIME and soon worldwide on VOD.

I have a few films coming out… LYLA by director Gordon Cowie, he’s amazing! His work is so absolutely beautiful… And I’m in the feature, NIGHT VADER, directed by the amazing Damon and Paul McCarthy… working with them was one of the most incredible experiences I’ve had and I’ve had the good fortune to work with them for many years… Also, I have a novel coming out in early 2021, it’s called MISTAKE and based on a feature script of mine and lastly, I’m in the process of writing a feature with the very talented Jon Niccum. It’s a Western we’ll start filming in 2021 in Kansas City, I’ll be directing.

Me: Thank you again for your time!
HL: Thank you, so much.  It’s been a real pleasure!  Please, stay safe and well.

To stay up-to-date with her work, follow her on social media:

Comments