Interview - Liz Butcher (Author of LeRoux Manor)


Earlier this year, I managed to interview author Liz Butcher about her work and career after the launch of her debut novel Fates' Fury several months before. Now, with the release of her follow-up effort LeRoux Manor I talk with her again about the inspirations behind it and the process behind the release.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. What have you been up to since the last time we spoke?
Liz Butcher: I released LeRoux Manor in September, which is exciting! Other than that, I’ve wrapped up on the final edits for my next novel, Never, Never, and I’m working on other projects and enjoying the opportunity to write full-time.

Me: Among those projects announced was the upcoming novel LeRoux Manor. Where did the inspiration for this one come from?
LB: I’ve always found old buildings fascinating and wanted to write a horror novel about one, but I also wanted to write something a little different to the normal haunted mansion tale.

Me: With a prominent Gothic atmosphere compared to Fates' Fury which was supernatural/action-based, was the tone of the novel intentional?
LB: Yes! Atmosphere played a much larger part in LeRoux Manor, and I felt it was important to start building on it from the get-go.

Me: Having mentioned being a fan of plotting and pre-production work on previous writing projects, what did you do to prepare for this novel?
LB: There was some research on old buildings, but compared to other projects I actually didn’t need to do as much pre-production. I did have the plot done before I started writing though!


Me: The protagonist in this book, Camille, differs considerably from the main character in Fates' Fury, Jonah Sands. Was writing for a female lead voice much different now than your previous book?
LB: Absolutely. Especially as Jonah was older than Camille so there was also writing the different ages that was a challenge. Though like a lot of writers, I find my characters often write themselves.

Me: Beyond that factor, what else about by the characters did you discover while writing for them?
LB: I actually try not to spend too much time in pre-production on putting too much detail together for the characters because I find that things I’ve jotted down about them at the start, have changed halfway through. It really is like they take on a life of their own.

Me: What is the current release schedule for the novel?
LB: No set date as yet, but I’m aiming to release Never, Never next year.

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? Thank you again for your time!
LB: I’m working on a serial set around a character named Luna Zimmer, who’s embarking on a venture as a paranormal investigator – with a twist! I’m also working on a dark fantasy novel called Sunrise.

Again, to check out her writings, follow her official website:
https://lizbutcherauthor.wixsite.com/lizbutcher

Comments