Interview - Author MJ Preston


Earlier this year, we spoke to author MJ Preston about what he had been up to in his career to that point which included the most renown series of genre books to his name, the Highwayman series of serial killer novels. As he prepares to release his second installment in that franchise, I talk with him about the experiences with the novel and some finer details associated with it.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. What have you been up to since the last time we spoke?
MJ Preston: Well, a few things have happened. I’m working on a new Highwayman book. But more presently, I’m happy to say that my SyFy horror novel, Acadia Event, is going to audio very soon. This book was my… I don’t want to use the words magnum opus, but certainly my largest achievement as a novel writer. Acadia Event is a big story with lots of cool characters and bone-eating aliens. The novel came in at 610 pages, so it’s a lengthy read. The narrator, R.L. Keck shared a few previews and consulted with me during the recording sessions. I am excited to listen to it. R.L. Keck also narrated Highwayman and FOUR and did an outstanding job.

Me: Among those projects announced was the upcoming novel "Four," part of the popular Highwayman series. Where did the inspiration for this one come from?
MJP: I think I’m inspired by what I see every day. Where that comes from, I’m not so sure. The novel FOUR is the conclusion to the first case file in the series which chronicles the rise of a serial killer “Highwayman” and the investigation aimed at stopping him. While the Highwayman story is explored finalized in these two books, many key characters will be coming back for another story and the hunt for a new killer.

Me: With the massive scope and scale of the series thus far, was maintaining the same standard and intricacies in the storyline challenging this time around?
MJP: Four was more challenging to write than Highwayman, because I knew the reader would be expecting more in the second book. I give them all that and more. So, I think that standard has been surpassed in the second book. As to the intricacies? Part of those details are dependent on the initial infrastructure of the tale. The characters, their development and environment are always there to grow and explore. But to be candid, writing without an outline can be a real pain, especially if you have a brain that is in its mid-50’s. I did have to reach back and take stock of the little things, thank goodness I had a top-notch research assistant who kept me on the straight and narrow. So, yes, it was challenging.

Me: Having mentioned that this book was started first, now that both books are completed was the experience finishing off this story much different than your previous book?
MJP: It was like meeting the girl you jilted for a date at graduation prom and going back to ask her out two years after the fact. I don’t ever recommend aspiring authors to attack a project this way. It was a tough process, and I don’t ever think I’ll do that again. It probably would have been easier if the book and its predecessor were standalone, but there was bridging between the books to think of, and I had no clue how I was going to end FOUR until I got very near the finish line.


Me: Beyond that factor, what else about the characters did you discover while writing for them?
MJP: Well, I’ve come to know them a little more with each book and I see their flaws even before they do or don’t. When you write a recurring character, you become more intimate, and as a writer, you become invested. I have a real appreciation for the characters because it is what draws people in. Action is fun, murder is interesting, but without the support of believable characters, the story is just a headline. If I were to rate characters in these two books. FBI Special Agent Dave Maxwell, aka Max, is a hunter, who is smart enough to rise through the ranks, but he’s what we used to call a “career corporal” in the army. Someone who either cannot advance up in rank due to career limitations that are often self-inflicted. Sometimes it's insubordination, other times it’s about wanting to stay out of the office, and in the field. Maxwell is a field agent, one of the best, and thee he feels in his element. He is very informal and doesn’t quite fit into a regimented lifestyle. Often, he’s in trouble for speaking his mind and having the deputy director of the FBI as a lifetime friend doesn’t hurt his cause either.

Me: What is the current release schedule for the novel?
MJP: FOUR is already out there making the rounds. I’m not ready to commit a deadline on the next book. Not until it is submitted and accepted. I will tell you that I’m working on it, and all the pieces are coming together. Once I’ve firmed up a release date, I will let you know.

Me: Can you share any secrets on the latest WIP with our readers?
MJP: I can tell you this. Max will be back, so will Leigh and Ferguson. The Kentucky homicide detective, Lonnie “Perk” Perkins might be back. New to this Highwayman book will be the killers they’re hunting. Yes, I said killers.

Me: Thank you again for your time!
MJP: Hey thanks, for having me back. It was a hoot!

To know more about MJ Preston’s work, follow his social media and website links:

Comments