WIHM Special - Sanae Loutsis


No doubt one of the youngest performers profiled here, that shouldn't belie the fact that actress Sanae Loutsis has emerged as a bonafide emerging superstar on the heels of several impressive indie and outside-the-genre efforts. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her start as an actress, her released films so far and upcoming projects.



Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, how did you get into acting?
Sanae Loutsis: It all started when I was three years old on Halloween. I was trick-or-treating at the mall and a lady there was telling my parents how cute I was and how I should do modeling/acting. My parents usually wouldn’t be the type to buy into that kind of thing, but they decided to give it a try. I had to be four years old to start this program that the lady was selling, so my parents reluctantly gave her their number and my birthday. A year goes by and everybody forgot about the whole interaction until we get a call on my birthday! Low and behold it was the same lady and from there I continued acting.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
SL: Growing up I wouldn’t say that I was very well-versed in films. I've always been the person that watches strictly Disney films and not much outside of that. Although my knowledge in Disney films is quite large and ever-growing, I've in the last year found an interest in horror films. I actually don’t watch any horror flicks because I cannot sit through it and still sleep at night, but I enjoy watching videos that analyze the films. Some horror films that had piqued my interest were Jordan Peele's “Get Out" and “Us". For one Jordan Peele played “Bunny” in “Toy Story 4” so I already loved him for that, but his horror films aren’t just blood, guts, and screaming. His films are psychological, and they have deeper and hidden meanings.

Me: How close are you and your parents to the selection process for the roles you take?
SL: My parents and I are very particular in the roles I take part in. When I was little in was more on my parents to decide what roles I did, but now that I'm older, I'm thankful to say that I get to decide what I do. Of course, they have their boundaries and I have mine, but we all have similar opinions when it comes to what roles I am and am not comfortable doing. We've had disagreements on the decisions, but I always have the final say.


Me: Having started working on commercials and music videos early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to feature-film projects?
SL: I would say the skill I've worked hardest to master and the skill that comes in handy anywhere is listening. My job as an actor is to help create a scene that was in somebody’s head. Obviously, there is usually some creative liberty there, but most of the time, I try to put into action what the director or writer has in mind. I must listen carefully to what they say and then take their direction. Now with listening, you need other things like good facial expressions, speaking skills, good attitude, etc.., but I've found that listening and executing always carry over, even in daily life.

Me: Are there any special considerations on-set about exposure to graphic violence and extreme content for you? Once the shot is over, how do you handle being around the other actors and actresses involved?
SL: Thankfully, I haven’t had to take part in any scenes that are too graphic or inappropriate for me. My threshold for what I can handle is pretty high. Even though I play younger roles, I am fifteen, so I am more aware of what goes on than some people may think. For example, I still have many people who apologize for using profanities around me, but even though I don’t like to use them, it doesn’t really bother me if anyone uses them.

Me: Your first feature film, The Black String, featured several big stars at the time. Were you aware of them at that time?
SL: When filming “The Black String" I wasn’t familiar with anyone except for Frankie Muniz. His movie “Big Fat Liar" is actually a household favorite and we just so happened to watched it a couple days before we found out Frankie would be in the film. Other than Frankie, like I said before, I wasn't aware of anybody else.

Me: What are some of your fondest memories about being on a film set for the first time?
SL: “The Black String” was my first real film set so I would say my fondest memory was being there on my birthday. At the time I may have wanted to be with my friends back at home more, but now I see that some of my best friends in the industry are the ones that were there that day. Plus I have to admit, it’s not every day you get to have Frankie Muniz at your Birthday Party right?


Me: From there, you starred in a leading role for Beloved Beast. What attracted you to the role of Nina?
SL: I was attracted to the role because Nina has minimal dialogue, but needs to show how she feels through her facial expressions. I thought that would be somewhat challenging and fun to take on.

Me: With the film being as long as it is and with all the screen time you have, what were some of the tougher aspects you experienced during the shoot?
SL: There was one particular challenge that I first experienced while on the set of Beloved Beast and that’s the weather. Being an actress in Seattle means that the weather is always changing, but for one of the final scenes, we had to do re-film it three separate days because of daylight and weather changes which made it challenging to do so many times. Of course, the weather is always a challenge, so it got me prepared for the future.

Me: Spending so much time interacting with Jonathan, did that bring you together closer during filming?
SL: I don’t think I would say that it necessarily brought us any closer. I love Jonathan, but I will say that long days on set didn’t make me love him anymore if you know what I mean hahaha. I can definitely say this though, I appreciate him more now that filming is over. Jonathan wore a lot of hats during the filming of Beloved Beast and he was incredible to work with. I hope to work with him again sometime.

Me: The Friday the 13th Fan Film, Vengeance, has you in another big role. What can you tell us about your character, Ashley Jarvis?
SL: Ashley Jarvis is a stubborn and courageous teenager who is up for a challenge. She loves her family and puts them before anything. She can be a bit angsty at times, but we see her grow throughout the film.

Me: Did that bring about more of an appreciation for the character of Jason by the end of the shoot?
SL: I would say I was more in tune with the character, Jason Voorhees, after shooting so in a way I appreciated him more. I didn’t really know anything about Jason before this film so playing a Jarvis definitely put me in a position to meet him head-on. I have to say, getting the chance to meet C.J. Graham and working with the Jason Voorhees of Friday the 13th Part VI is pretty cool too, I mean come on???


Me: Most recently, you play Audrey Charles in the recently-released The Parish. What can you tell us about that film?
SL: The Parish is about Liz Charles played by Angela DiMarco and her daughter Audrey, played by myself and them moving into a new city with some supernatural beings. They try to find their place but get caught up in some old hidden mysteries.

Me: As this was more of a supernatural film compared to your previous films, was that a different experience to the previous more realistic characters?
SL: I'm not sure I would say it was all that different because I find all the characters I've played are realistic in their own ways. Whether it’s their situation that’s relatable or how they act, all the characters have realistic traits.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
SL: I for one am working on keeping up good grades in school and staying active in my school’s community. I'm also learning to drive which has been keeping me busy lately. As for acting, I have a new exciting role in a T.V series that I think starts filming in April and the lead role in an upcoming film being filmed this summer. I wish I could disclose more, but you’ll just have to keep your eyes out for me.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
SL: You are very welcome Don and I hope we can do this again in the future! For all women looking into acting, I would say just go for it. If you’re a little scared to try it, just do it! It can be hard sometimes, but it’s so fun to do and who knows, you could make it big.

I want to say thank you, Don, for this opportunity and hope you much success moving forward!

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our interviews and reviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments