WIHM Special - Rebecca Rinehart


One of the more prominent up-and-coming figures in the genre, writer/model/actresses/podcaster Rebecca Rinehart has become one of the more prominent and visible names on the back of her promotional work and several upcoming genre releases. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her start in the industry, her production company Schwestern Sky Films and upcoming projects.



Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, how did you get into the genre?
Rebecca Rinehart: I became enamored with horror movies at a fairly young age but it was in my early teens when I started renting movies on my own and voraciously watched every horror film I could get my hands on!

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
RR: When I was little in the early 80s, I would see trailers for horror films on TV when that was very common. I was always intrigued and frightened by them: I remember specifically that the trailers for Dolls and An American Werewolf in London came on the TV while I was alone in the living room and they scared the snot out of me 😊But my first real horror love is my lifelong love: Friday the 13th. When I was 8, I stayed with my much-older sister during the day in the summer and USA had a marathon of the first three films in anticipation of Part 4 being released. Of course, they were probably heavily neutered, but the moment I saw them, I was Jason’s girl 😊

Me: As an emerging celebrity in the indie world, what was the initial reception like based on your taste in genre movies?
RR: My first online “experience” was joining a rather large Facebook horror group and eventually becoming an admin for it. For whatever reason, I think the initial reception to me was “she’s a decent looking woman…she definitely is just faking her horror knowledge to impress the guys” which was strangely not surprising. Not so much now but definitely when I first started in this realm, I had guys actually try to “challenge” my knowledge. And every one of them found out I am legit ;)

Me: Was a large part of that based on your Youtube channel? How did you initially come about starting that?
RR: I actually started my YouTube channel only a year ago. I had been consistently encouraged to start a channel but didn’t want to just have a standard movie review format: I wanted a concept that was unique to me. Then one night while watching Friday the 13th, I realized I was pondering Brenda’s life for the bulk of the movie: where did she get the rules for strip Monopoly? Does vitamin C really neutralize the nitrites? Doesn’t she know that everyone hates a preachy vegetarian? Why doesn’t she beat Ned up when he almost kills her at the archery range? And the idea was born: The Not Quite Final Girl. I loved these movies so much that I knew the ins and outs of the people most fans see as throwaway characters.


Me You also started a podcast, In the Mic of Madness. How did that come about?
RR: Two of my friends and fellow admins of the horror group and I decided to do it because we wanted to actually TALK to people in real-time about these movies. Of course, turning the idea into reality was a process (learning how to record, edit, promote, upload, and all the other fun aspects of podcasting) but now it is like second nature to me. I guest frequently on other people’s podcasts and am getting ready to start my THIRD show.

Me: What has been the most surreal or unexpected experience these projects have afforded you?
RR: Going from being a fan at conventions to being a contributor, interviewer, and promoter has been the most incredible and rewarding part. People that I once fangirled over horribly are now actually friends and colleagues. My first experience with actually coming out of my shell at a convention resulted in having dinner with Sid Haig. I think that lit the fuse.

Me: Most recently, you and your sister started a production company, Schwestern Sky Films. How did that come about?
RR: Well, I have become somewhat known for my ability to promote indie film in the horror scene and had a filmmaker approach me about being in his film as well as promoting it. My sister came on board so she and I created our production company for that film. We had a major falling out with him and left the project, but we were left with the company, the knowledge, and the confidence that we could make our own movies. So that is what we are doing!


Me: What do you hope to achieve with the company in the future?
RR: Ideally or realistically? 😊 I would like to be able to gain enough of a fan base and investors to create one film of our own every year.

Me: How did you initially get started as an actress?
RR: I was interviewing and befriending so many directors and many of them started inviting me to sets and throwing me in a scene or two. Soon I started having directors I didn’t know contact me to read for parts and I eventually gave in and did a couple of video auditions. Of course, I sucked at the first couple of ones, but I started just channeling the creativity and charisma I use for my channel and landed a few parts. Since then, I actually have people hire me without auditioning. . . and this is literally in the span of two or three months. They are all indie projects that are for low or no pay, but I’m in it for fun and to be a part of the crazy movies I adore watching with the awesome people I have met!

Me: Your first film, The Embalmers, is also going to be written and directed by you and your sister. What can you tell us about your character?
RR: Well… 😊 When the movie was still pretty small, our star and writing partner Rob Mello had an idea that his maladjusted character should “date” one of the corpses. Knowing it would be difficult to ask anyone else to play a dead girl with a sex scene would be difficult, Rob and I decided I would just do it. With that, we also had the freedom of not having to worry about going too far for an actress’s comfort level. But, it actually has morphed into a complex and very sweet storyline in the film. Yes, folks: we have managed to make necrophilia sweet and romantic. You just have to watch ;)

Me: How did the concept for the film come about?
RR: My sister Diane had the basic concept in her mind but had no experience in the realms of indie horror. Since I get two press passes for most horror conventions, I invited her along to one last summer to be my camerawoman and to introduce her to the scene. She immediately fell in love with the convention world and the indie filmmakers and so when the other movie fell apart, we already had this conceptualized so it was natural for us to start with it.


Me: You also have roles in several other upcoming films like Red Summer Massacre, Sharkago and Backwoods Bubba. Is there a bit of whiplash or excitement working in so many horror films in rapid succession?
RR: Both! I am lined up to be in 11 projects in 2020 and that is overwhelming but exciting. When I decide to do something, I have a tendency to just jump in headfirst and this is no different.

Me: What can you tell us so far about these upcoming projects?
RR: Every one of the films is going to be bat shit crazy ;) I made a joke that I was cast as a prostitute, a cannibal prostitute, and a cannibal in three separate projects within two days so if anyone needed a chick to do fucked up shit in a movie, I was clearly the go-to. And I actually have gotten several roles just from that post! The first one that is coming up is Red Summer Massacre with the most amazing cast and crew a horror fan could ever imagine (including FX legend Joe Castro). Our Indiegogo campaign went live on February 7th and it has been so fun to be not only a part of the film but also part of the promotion (which is my original passion).

Me: Do you anticipate working with the announced casts for these various films to be built on your relationships with them already?
RR: I like to say that the Midwest indie horror scene has a shallow gene pool. In just figuring out what to cross-promote for The Embalmers, we counted maybe 10 projects that two or more of us were involved with (and the number has gone up since then). Relationships and networks definitely help: for example, I was cast in Backwoods Bubba and found out the director had several roles to fill, so I referred my friend Mia Moon whom I only just met with the development of Red Summer Massacre. She auditioned, was cast, and now I get to work with her twice this year.


Me: When you’re not involved with these projects, what do you do to keep your creativity flowing?
RR: I write for PopHorror and Beyond the Void and with that have officially been tagged as a horror writer. As a result, I am now consulting on scripts for several projects. I find an awesome fulfillment in being approached and praised for something that I didn’t even know I was good at even 4 or 5 months ago.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
RR: Ladies, STICK TOGETHER!!! Uplift each other. And generally speaking, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something because you’re a woman: show them that you CAN do it BECAUSE you’re a woman 😊

To follow her Youtube Channel.
To check out her podcast In the Mic of Madness.

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our interviews and reviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments