WIHM Special - Michelle Nessk


An accomplished and talented writer, director, producer and make-up artist among other roles, Michelle Nessk has crafted a fine career in the indie scene working out of the relative obscurity of the Pacific Northwest. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her career, multitasking on a film-set and her upcoming projects:


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to go into directing?
Michelle Nessk: Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me! I had wanted to be a director since I was a tater-tot. Even in grade school, our teachers would have us write out lists of what we wanted to be… And I always had a very long list. My main six were: Director, King (because it's good to be), Singer, Actor, T-Rex, & SFX artist (I grew up loving the hell out of the work of John Carl Buechler among other legends) but director was always number one on the list. The other dreams were on lark rotation. My teachers would always say to "be realistic" but I've always been rather stubborn and starry-eyed. What's really cool is over the years I have actually had teachers who had discouraged me in the past show up to my screenings & premiers to offer me congratulations. Which is surreal AF. Nothing feels cooler than garnering your accolades in front of people who didn't think you could do the things and seeing their doubt turn to encouragement. Really though, I think being told no before I ever got my hands on a camera made the dream all the more tantalizing. Productivity became my Rebellion.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
MN: Oh yes, lifelong. The original Night of the Living Dead was my first horror film. Horror movies have always been a family thing, you know? It was our treat time, I grew up with my momma making us Puerto Rican red beans and rice with arepas, kettle popping the popcorn, gathering a bundle of pillows and blankets, and showing us something spooky like Nightmare on Elm Street, Tales from the Crypt, Twilight Zone.. My father would have his (not for kids) stash which would consist of David Lynch, Lloyd Kaufman, Hellraiser 3 etc. My uncle J showed me Elvira, Halloween, Friday the 13th and would have me play horror host. My awesome eldest cousin definitely had an influence on me with her scary tween books and ghost stories + pranks. One time she convinced me that the world was ending. The rapture was at hand. I was so distraught but stubbornly plotting how to be able to survive. (the corner store had Chico Sticks we could have lived well). My excuse for having been that gullible was that I was four. But what a rush. That might actually be a major contribution to my love of the zombie apocalypse genre, now that I think about it. Plus the aid of Canadian television, I snuck up many nights to catch the CBC late night unedited screenings of Red-Blooded American Girl, Suspiria, Flesh Eating Mothers, Dracula's Daughter..  (and while this has nothing to do with horror, I do want to thank CBC someday because seeing actual whole boobies on local broadcast television caused an instant metamorphosis in me. At first, my mind was f****** blown. And then it wasn't. And then I started wondering how come I saw guys with their boobies out all the time.)

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
MN: I love all of it. I love producing, special effects, writing, acting, directing, composing. I've been very fortunate that I have been able to pursue them all.

Me: Does performing multiple roles on a production still challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once on a project? How do you balance those priorities during a shoot?
MN: I keep my hats in order. Much of the work is done in pre-production so it doesn't get in the way when filming is at hand.


Me: When you begin writing a new production, what is your process to get into the mindset of the characters?
MN: I let the character tell me who they are. It's their story and they are taking me along for the ride. Sometimes it feels like I'm their hostage and they've got me driving at gunpoint until their story is finished. Or maybe I watched Last Action Hero too many times as a tater-tot, and I don't want to feel guilty for the things I put these poor fictional characters through. To me, they are real people.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film-projects?
MN: I still do short films, I love them. All of my films take place within the same universe. So it's been a lot of learning about how these people live. Watching their personalities grow, relationships blossom, and delving deeper into their worst nightmares. My most recent feature that I am working on is the found footage film 333: Illuminaughty starring Debra Lamb and Tonjia Atomic. The short version was released last year, I created it with Tonjia Atomic and we are working on releasing the full feature version this year.

Me: As well, you've also created the horror hostess Zee Monsta. What was the inspiration to start creating her? How different is she from your regular personality?
MN: She was my imaginary friend when I was a child. But, her name was Ven. She's a mad god. We would have tea parties with my dolls and teddy bears. She would tell us stories about her family and I would write about it. She would sit with me and watch Elvira, and when I would horror host for my uncle and his friends she would do it right alongside me, even though no one else could see her. She was with me when I needed her most too. We have always made a great team. I never grew out of her and continued to write her stories. The inspiration for her host name came from Polly Jean Harvey's Meet Ze Monsta, it just felt right. She and I are quite different but we do have a lot in common. We have similar views in regard to justice, but I am definitely more forgiving than she has ever been. She's very outgoing, loves crowds, and public places, and I am shy, I don't really like public places nor drowning in crowds. She likes to eat evil people, and I draw the line at long pig. She wants to see the end of humanity, and I want my great-great-great grandchildren's great-grandchildren to live long happy, and fulfilled lives. We both have delicate hearts that are full of love though.

Me: Among your most recent work is the next entry in the anthology series Horrors of the PNW, being the seventh installment in the franchise. How did you initially start the series?
MN: I was approached by a representative from Crypticon Seattle in 2012, they were wondering if I had any interest in doing something for them to screen. I had been kicking around the idea of a mixed media anthology series, so it was quite serendipitous. I was put into contact with both the owner & the head of the film showcase division and I pitched them my idea. I love Crypticon Seattle so much for not only giving me such an incredible platform to work with them on but also for the beautiful friendships that I have formed because of Crypticon Seattle's existence. They are amazing.

Me: With the continued success and growth of the series, has that changed how you approach the newest entry when it comes time to start?
MN: Each volume really has its own pulse, so it's always different. There are some elements that do always remain the same; featuring the work of fellow indie artists, indie music, interviews, and exploring new indie horror games. Primarily those that hail from the Pacific Northwest. This year is volume seven in the series, I can't stay much about what that entails yet, but I am very excited. I cannot wait to say more!


Me: The sixth installment includes a talented cast of genre regulars including Tonjia Atomic, Debra Lamb and Barbara Magnolfi. How did the film come together to feature such a stacked cast?
MN: Ever since volume one, Horrors of the PNW has been able to boast some notable genre names within the indie and mainstream film industry. Year one starred Eileen Dietz who played Captain Howdy in The Exorcist, John Carl Buechler, Lew Temple, and featured music from the phenomenal band Kultur Shock. Over the years we've had artists from the world of Twin Peaks, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Peaches Christ, among many others. The sixth volume followed tradition. Barbara and I met at Living Dead Con, we were both guests. We are both represented by the same agency Vertical Talent, we had both expressed our want to work with each other, and Vertical Talent Agency connected us. Tonjia is a dear friend of mine, we had worked together on another project "Just a Prick" a year prior. And meeting Debra was a serendipitous magical moment thanks to our mutual friend Ronnie Angel (professional wrestler, and horror writer). Dylan Mars is also featured. This year Horrors of the PNW VII is featuring her actual film work and music, which Thrills me immensely. She is an incredible talent with such a beautiful heart and it makes perfect sense as to why she is Lloyd Kaufman's present-day muse.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
MN: Well, there were a few sets. Each one had its own atmosphere but they were all full of wonderful camaraderie. Acting opposite Barbara Magnolfi was intense given the nature of our characters, and directing her was one of my wildest dreams come true. So, I was reveling in childlike delight, the same goes for Debra Lamb. We filmed those days apart, so it was all rather magical.

Me: What is the estimated time frame for when it'll be released to the public?
MN: Horrors of the PNW VI premiered at Crypticon Seattle last year, and has enjoyed a few pop-ups in select theaters as well as festivals. Horrors of the PNW VII will premiere this year this spring.

Me: What else are you working on that's upcoming that you'd like to share with our readers?
MN: There's a number of films that I am producing, and the next segment in the "Just" series will be debuting this year. Right now my head is completely and totally engulfed with finishing the full feature version of 333: Illuminaughty, working on a head-to-toe special effects suit for an upcoming feature of Tonjia Atomic's, and Horrors of the PNW VII, plus the ball is already rolling for Horrors of the PNW VIII for next year. I know I'm forgetting something.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry? Thank you again for your time!
MN: Keep your head up. You have a dream and that is something in itself. So chase it. It's important to do what makes you happy. Most of the people you are going to meet along the way are incredibly kind, and they are right alongside you chasing their dreams, too. Leave the competition at the film festivals, remember that there's room for everyone. Your voice matters. And most importantly, don't be afraid of people not liking your work. If it reaches even one person, then you have found success. Thank you I hope you & your readers have a wonderful 2020!

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of the interviews and reviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments