WIHM Special - Judy Shire


An accomplished musician, actress and horror show host, Judy Shire has gathered plenty of genre accouterments in her time working within and around the genre. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the genre, her horror-hostess career and other upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get into the genre?
Judy Shire: You could say I was born into the genre. My family are vampires, my father is a demonic evil satanic devil and my childhood was a life of horror! So my public image just scratches the surface of my private life.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
JS: I have always enjoyed watching horror movies of all kinds. There were no specific films that got me watching horror movies. I think when you have lived your life since a child where horror is an everyday reality. Watching horror movies is something one feels a connection with!


Me: When did you first discover a passion for singing?
JS: I enjoyed singing ever since I was a child. When I meet my husband who had spent his life working in the Rock music business. I sang to him on our first date and that was the start of my journey into the music business.

Me: How did the process come about for recording your first album Beyond Imagination?
JS: I had spent many years working as a professional singer performing at upmarket private events, corporate events, 5* hotels, and cabaret clubs singing Classic Rock, Jazz, Latin. Blues, Musicals, Soul, Disco, or whatever genre of music they wanted. Then one day I said to my husband I have had enough. I felt a strong urge to be my true self and change my public image to be the same as the way I live behind closed doors and focus on writing some original songs based on my life and the private world I live in. So I decided to make a new genre of original music I call Vamp Rock with songs that have lyrics about Vampires, Witches, Black Magic and The DarkSide. From that my album Beyond Imagination evolved.

Me: As the lyrics contain plenty of horror imagery, was that a way to stay invested and connected to the genre?
JS: The lyrics are all based on my life, my family and the world I live in. With many hidden meanings that have a connection to the DarkSide. So I guess it does have a strong connection to the genre.


Me: Where did the concept of your horror hostess character, Judy Vamp-Shire, come from? What was the inspiration for creating her?
JS: Judy Vamp-Shire is not a character it is actually my real name. I used the name Judy Shire back when I performed at the let's call them normal cabaret, etc events that I mentioned earlier. All of my current Judy Vamp-Shire horror hosting videos, music and other stuff is exactly what I’m like in real everyday life! My house is like the house of horrors and I allow certain parts of it to be used in the filming but keep the really macabre and what I call the gothic horror areas to stay private. The 220-year-old house I am about to move too is even spookier than the house I have been living in. So the horror will continue!

Me: You also started a Youtube channel based around her. What are some of the types of videos fans can find there?
JS: My music, horror movie hosting shows, vampire cooking shows, some random stuff and to be launched later this year a new Horror documentary show called Legends and Mysteries. Plus I’m looking to go back on the road sometime later this year with a Band performing a mix of my Vamp Rock and Classic Rock which I will post videos from the shows.


Me: What are some of the more unusual or remarkable experiences afforded to you through playing this character?
JS: I need a constant fresh supply of blood. Everyone loves a Vampire and so many will willingly give me their blood. So it's a win-win for me!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
JS: As I already mentioned a new horror documentary series called Legends and Mysteries. New music and I also have a few more Horror surprises coming up but I cannot say what they are just yet as the contracts are still being finalized, but the word movie may be in one of them!

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
JS: It’s a hard brutal business to get into. I would say if you live and love horror go for it. If you fail which most Women looking to join the industry will and you get rejected for the part. Don’t take it personally just hang the bastard who turned you down from the ceiling by their feet/ankles. Slowly drain a couple of pints of blood from their neck. Sit back and relax in a nice chair and enjoy drinking their blood it as you watch them screaming for help. Then when you have finished the blood tell them they missed out on a great opportunity by not signing you! Of course, if you are feeling compassionate you can let them go or if not I’m always looking to add to my skull collection and the rest of the body will keep the doggy fed for a few weeks.

To follow her online, visit her Official Site:
As well, you can check out her official Youtube channel.

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our interviews and reviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments