WiHM Special - Dixie Gers


While she doesn't have a ton of genre credits to her name, look for that to change in the future from Dixie Gers who is not only one of the nicest figures in the scene but also one of the most passionate and hardest-working actresses around. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her beginnings, her first directorial effort Piggy and her upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Dixie Gers: I loved doing plays in school. Even though I was extremely shy as a kid, being in plays gave you a chance to be someone completely different. I have always loved horror movies since I was a kid. Getting older, I always wanted to play the killer in a film. Thinking how much fun it would be to do that and be apart of something that others can enjoy.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
DG: Horror has always been my jam. The first two movies I remember watching were Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors and Ghostbusters. My dad had rigged up a TV in our van. So whenever he took me anywhere, I would always pop in either of those VHS tapes and watched them. I would also stay up late sometimes, and sit on the floor by my dad’s lazy-boy chair and watch Tales From The Crypt with him. So I guess you could say my dad helped with that influence.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
DG: The villain for sure! It’s always fun to have a reason to go crazy haha.


Me: As the first major role in your career was Crazy Fat Ethel, were there any challenges in your preparation to play that iconic character?
DG: I had actually never seen the original, Criminally Insane, when I was being talked to about the role. So first thing, I made sure to watch the film. And I watched it several times. I wanted to make sure I did Priscilla Alden justice while adding my own flair. Kathy Bates in Misery was also another “go-to” for me in preparation. I had never done a film prior, so it was definitely scary cause everything was so unknown, even everyone in the film. I took a jump and am definitely happy I did.

Me: Since the shoot was known to be troubled with environmental and on-set hazards, what did you do to stay in character during filming?
DG: I would just relax in our single air-conditioned room and calm my mind as best as I could to stay there. Randomly waving around a meat cleaver helps too.

Me: With several film collaborations between you and Brian Dorton in your filmography, is there a special connection to the material he writes you find yourself drawn to?
DG: The characters he creates are always ones that you can have fun with, and make it your own. From everything we went through on Crazy Fat Ethel together, we (myself, Brian, and Doug who is the cinematographer) basically became a family (and I may have also started dating Brian’s brother after meeting him on the set of the film).


Me: That brings us to one of your latest projects, the upcoming "Piggy." What can you tell us about the film?
DG: Piggy is about a girl who gets bullied and used by people. She eventually hits her breaking point. In a society that likes to deem what we think is beautiful (amongst other things), it’s an ode to body positivity.

Me: Due to the topical nature of the subject matter, did the inspiration for that come from anywhere in particular?
DG: I have always been a plus-sized female, so I have been made fun of for it in some form or another since middle school. When you throw dating into that, personally, it made it tough at times. I have had guys say “Well, you’ve got a pretty face” or just be ashamed that they were interested in me in front of their friends. Or the “You’re good to have sex with but I wouldn’t date you” ordeal.  And I know lots of people can have these experiences as well, for whatever body type they have. So Piggy, is me releasing all of that, from my own personal experiences. Saying it’s okay to fight back and love yourself for you.

Me: As you've also handled multiple roles on the project, what was the balancing act required to pull off the short successfully?
DG: It was all about the planning and having the right team. I made sure to have every little detail planned out, and made sure the people I was working with, could make sure I pull it off. We filmed Piggy in 2 days. Fritz Dorton, Adam Freeman, Douglas Conner, and Cameron Scott were huge helps in getting it accomplished and helping out behind the scenes if they weren’t on camera.

Me: You're also involved with numerous upcoming projects, including Kill Dolly Kill. What can you tell us about that film?
DG: Kill Dolly Kill is a sequel to Heidi Moore’s Dolly Deadly. In Kill Dolly Kill, Benji is grown up and living as his alter ego. You’re introduced to a fabulous place called Paradise Park, that is full of all sorts of characters including a gang of badass drag queens called the Slaughter Queens. It’s also a rock musical and being released through Troma.


Me: You also have the upcoming Death Care working with the same studio and team of people. Does that add a sense of familiarity working with the team on back-to-back projects?
DG: Yes. HM&M Films and Rad Entertainment both took part in helping create Kill Dolly Kill with Heidi and Wretched Productions. On that set, we became a big family. So it was really nice coming back for Death Care and seeing not only familiar crew, but cast as well. And it’s always fun meeting new people, to continue to add to the extended film family. HM&M Films and Rad Entertainment are both such phenomenal teams to work with. So dedicated and they make sure everyone is having a good time too.

Me: What do you hope to achieve in the future for your work?
DG: I definitely want to create some more of my own films. I have a few more short films lined up that I want to do, and eventually work up to a feature film directed by myself. As far as acting goes, I would love to, of course, play more villains and continue to get bloody!

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
DG: Don’t be afraid and don’t give up. Don’t let a rejection deter you from your dreams. Make your own films if you have to. And from a safety standpoint, do your research. Make sure you know who you are working with and what kind of film you are getting involved with beforehand.

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebration. Click the banner below to see all the reviews and interviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments