WIHM Special - Chloe Carroll


An emerging name in the UK indie scene, writer/director/actress Chloe Carroll has built a small but impressive resume working on shorts and full-length features as well as her own company FearCrypt. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I speak with her about her beginning stages as an actress, upcoming projects and the upcoming feature-film The Honeymoon Phase.



Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Chloe Carroll: I loved watching movies growing up, mainly Horror movies, and then I wanted to learn more about what went into making  movies as I got older. I became fascinated with acting because of how fun it is to play different characters and play make believe.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
CC: Pretty much yeah. I loved The Mummy and Deep Blue Sea, these I would play on repeat as a kid. I was never really super scared of horror movies as I knew they weren’t real, like my dad would tell me it’s just ketchup if there was anything bloody on screen so I really appreciated the creativeness of the story when watching films instead of being actually frightened of the film. Although as a kid two movies that legit scared me were 'The Grudge’ and ‘Wrong Turn’ which had me absolutely terrified and unable to see it as ‘just a movie’ haha

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
CC: I have never played the villain, so I really hope I get chance to at some point.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to acting in future film-projects?
CC: The more chance you have to practice your craft the better you become. I learn something new from every actor or director I work with. Everyone has little tips and things they do to help them with a performance and the more info and tips you can learn from other people, especially people who are better at their craft then you, the better you in turn will become.


Me: You've also started a production company, Fear Crypt. What was the inspiration to start it?
CC: My husband is also a filmmaker, and when I first met him I had very little experience/knowledge of filmmaking behind the camera. He had much more and had just finished film school. Every time I pitched horror movies to him I could tell he wasn’t as interested in pursuing that genre, but he didn’t want me to stop pursuing my dreams so instead, he taught me everything I needed to know so I could do it on my own. Even though he still helps me with a lot of it, as being my husband we always end up doing all of each other's stuff too.

Me: What is the process like working with your husband on these new projects?
CC: Its great because I always have someone to ask questions to if I am ever stuck or unsure of how to deal with something. We both pretty much live and breathe film so it takes up our entire life.

Me: What is the goal with the company?
CC: I originally wanted to just be a horror Youtube channel that does short films, just like Ponysmasher (David F. Sandberg) who did low budget shorts with his wife when he was starting out. But now I am more interested in doing festival films, as I love being able to screen them with a live audience and meet new filmmakers to collaborate with. Then eventually when I have money, feature films.

Me: Working together with your husband on these projects, does that make the creative process easier or more difficult when launching a new project?
CC: Much easier because I have a partner in both life and business. So our goals are always similar even if they are on different levels or different genres.


Me: Among your most successful ventures is the company’s feature film debut, The Honeymoon Phase. What was the inspiration to turn that into a longer feature against the shorts you created previously?
CC: Phil was ready to do a feature film. He had done many shorts before he had met me and was ready to make the next step onto a much bigger project, and of course I had no problem coming along for the journey! Its definitely a lot more stressful doing a feature as well as a much bigger time commitment and a lot of new challenges, but its really cool to see the finished product and share it with everyone when its all complete.

Me: What was the set like while shooting it? How did the cast and crew get along while filming it?
CC: It was amazing, the whole team felt like a family by the end of it. A lot of the cast and crew lived in the same house that we shot the film in so we were all super close for the 20-day shoot.

Me: What are you working on in the future that you'd like to share with our readers?
CC: Currently I am in preproduction with a longer short film filming in February called ‘ELYSIA’ which we are hoping to do a festival run with. It is a dark fantasy about a human having to deal with the problems of living with her vampire girlfriend. And Phillip is writing his next feature film that we will go into production with as soon as we can secure the funding.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CC: You can start creating films whenever you want to, and there are so many people out there who want to do the same thing but think that they can’t find a team to do it, but in most cases all you have to do is ask!  And before you know it, you’ll have a team of like minded individuals and you’ll be making film.

To follow the FearCrypt Channel and check out their shorts:
Youtube

This review ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebration. Click the banner below to see all the reviews and interviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments