WIHM Special - Caitlin Marceau


A writer, author, blogger and speaker on numerous subjects not just limited to the genre, Caitlin Marceau has built a fine career working on a multitude of projects and speaking engagements around the country. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about the writing process, her blogging and speaking career as well as upcoming projects:


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into the genre?
Caitlin Marceau: You know, it’s actually really funny. When I was younger I wanted nothing to do with horror. I was scared of everything, I used to have horrible nightmares—everything from the people I love dying to Loonette the Clown chasing me with long arms—and just the idea of a dark room scared me. And I think it was because I was scared all the time that I decided to stop believing in make-believe monsters, and started creating them instead.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
CM: I used to love fantasy and sci-fi growing up. I remember winning tickets to an advanced screening of The Lord Of The Rings here in Montreal when I was a kid, and it was like winning the lottery. As for horror, I don’t think there was any specific movie that got me into the genre, but I’ve always loved The Evil Dead and Tales From The Crypt.

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Where you always into writing growing up?
CM: I wanted to be a writer since I was really young. My grandfather (who’s always been an avid reader) used to make up these stories for me. He’d ask me what I wanted in them (“three dogs, a witch, and a pumpkin castle”) and then create the narrative on the spot. It was magic, and I knew I wanted that same power when I grew up. Then, years later while I was in university, I had what I’ve called my “quarter-life-crisis.” I was worried I was never going to get published and dropped all my university courses, except for one creative writing one, and enrolled in nursing school. Maybe two, three months later, I got my first acceptance letter. I dropped out of nursing, went back to university for writing, and haven’t looked back since.

Me: What is the usual process towards starting a new piece? Is it based on general life experience or selected by colleagues for a new project?
CM: I normally start a project in one of two ways. Either I’ll be brainstorming and a brilliant idea will hit me, which I then try to get published later, or I’ll see a call for submissions and try to come up with something original for it. Normally my pieces don’t incorporate personal life experiences in them—if they did, I’m pretty sure my life would be a waking nightmare—but I do try to look at moments of everyday life and ask how they could be twisted into something insidious or unexpected.

Me: Do you enjoy the liberation of being a freelance journalist in the genre?
CM: I do! Although truth be told, most of my journalism work doesn’t deal with horror. I have a few pieces that I did for Rue Morgue, Nightmare on Film Street and PopOptiq, but the bulk of my journalism over the years has dealt more with feminism, body positivity, and pop culture. I’m especially fascinated with women in traditionally male-spaces, and how these spaces either adapt policies of inclusion or don’t.

Me: Once you begin working, what is your writing process for creating a new article or poem?
CM: I don’t really have a strict process for writing new articles. I generally try to find a relevant topic or a subject that’s dear to my heart and see how it intersects with some element or facet of feminism. I also like to ask myself “why?” or “why not?” when I write too, to not just challenge the topic I’m writing about, but my own thoughts or preconceived ideas about the subject too. I don’t normally write too many poems, but when I do it’s because something has moved me so tremendously that I feel I need to.

Me: What has been the most surreal experience that being a writer has afforded you?
CM: Getting to travel to England for a book launch! I was given the incredible opportunity to write a piece for, and help edit Shadows at the Door: An Anthology. Once it was finished the publisher organized a launch party in the Newcastle castle, and I was invited to the engagement. It was my first time traveling to the U.K. and it had always been a dream of mine, so that was definitely one of the coolest experiences I’ve had since starting my journey as an author.

Me: As you've also done several speaking engagements about the genre, how do you go about preparing for these presentations?
CM: Oh man, perparing for conventions takes forever. Normally I’ll start brainstorming ideas almost immediately after I’m done an event. Either because I’ll find inspiration for new content while I’m there, or I’ll spot a gap in the content they’re offering that I think I could fill. From there I normally take time to do research, read as much as I can on the topic, and make sure it’s something I want to talk about. Then comes the general outline for the presentation, which can take weeks to develop and edit down, and normally a few weeks before I present I’ll finish up the visual half of the presentation.

Me:  Do you have any other upcoming writing or speaking presentations you'd like to share with our readers?
CM: I do! I’m really excited to announce that I have a story coming out in Not Just A Pretty Face by Dead Light Publishing, which I’m thrilled to announce is slated for publication this month. And, last but not least, I’m going to be co-hosting a podcast called Fedorable. It’s not a horror podcast, but rather a show that looks at good-guy and good-girl culture, and dissects it for (hopefully) laughs and critical insight.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CM: Do it! Do the thing! That thing you’ve been wanting to do for forever, but have been worried people won’t like or that you’re not good enough to do? You know, that thing? Do it! Write it! Submit it! Because, honestly, the only thing worse than failing is never knowing if you would have succeeded.

To follow her work and check out her official site, visit:
http://caitlinmarceau.ca/

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our interviews and reviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments