WIHM Special - Ashley Monique Menard


While she may have more varied content than others featured here, actress Ashley Monique Menard has an array of genre credits and experience to her name working in the indie scene. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk to her about becoming an actress, her genre TV show Demon Doctor and various other projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Ashley Monique Menard: Well, thank you for including me, Don. This is such a treat for me. I recently joined the genre 3 years ago in a horror short called Yas Queen written by Joshua R Pangborn. J Cerio and Stuart Kiczek starred in this gem with me. When I read it I thought I get this woman.  She’s delusional with loads of passion and an obsessive personality. Well, that’s basically my opening line in my tinder profile. (laughs) But all jokes aside I loved the Misery/Kathy Bates vibe. She's an acting icon of mine. We shot the short in a day and Josh pitched Demon Doctor to me shortly after that.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
AMM: Well, you see I grew up in Cajun country near a bayou in Lafayette, Louisiana. My great-grandma M'aline was a Traiteur (faith healer) and fortune teller. So, when I was a kid I figured what you saw in the movies was real, you know what I mean.  So movies like The Exorcist and It freaked me out. But horror camp like Little Shop of Horror’s and Rocky Horror Picture show spoke to me.  Since then I love suspense and psychological thrillers.

Me: When did you first get interested in acting in general?
AMM: When I was 6 I started creating characters with my sister. I came up with a family of 9 unique people with an array of voices, ages, genders, and personalities. I loved to play pretend and better yet I was good at it. I learned at an early age how to improve and how to mimic and watched SNL religiously.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
AMM: Oh, I love playing the villain! Ursula was my idol as a kid. I used to make my mom watch me sing Poor Unfortunate Souls as a kid on repeat. She used to critique me and together I came up with some solid character work.


Me: Having worked on plenty of short films and TV series early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to feature-film projects?
AMM: Well, all of it honestly. Stuart taught me a lot about cinematography and how to AD on season 1-5 of Skeleton Crew. So, when I get on a big-budget feature I am cool as a cucumber. My training has been Skeleton Crew and it gave me the toolbox needed to roll with the big boys. I do my research and develop my character just the same. The only thing is for features I don't have to wear as many hats. I sit in my dressing room and let the PA tell me when they will bring me to set. That being said I do enjoy the process of producing and directing.

Me: What is the mindset necessary to switch between the comedic stories to straight drama or even horror elements?
AMM: Commitment is key to a realistic transition. I am also very fearless on set. I flow in the characters so if it's a comedic moment, we are just making light of the terrible things that happen to us.

The drama follows the journey of moments that take you down a bit by bit and it’s harder to get up.

And the horror, well. That can take you completely by surprise and you get a pure reaction without a hint of the bright side.  I am a very lucky actor to be able to play all of these shades in Demon Doctor.

Me: How did you come into producing the series “Skeleton Crew” with Joshua Pangborn?
AMM: I met Joshua when I auditioned for the role of Maggie in one of his off-Broadway plays La Petite Morte. I thought this guy is breaking bounds with some really weird shit.  But, weird shit that’s kinda brilliant! (Laughs) Flash forward a few years and Josh wrote Skeleton Crew.  He asked me if I would be interested in playing Appolina Zogrofos. I told him I couldn't pronounce the name but I was down for the challenge. I was a mess and terrible actress that day but when we wrapped season 1 I felt excited to pursue more TV. Collaborating with Josh just felt very natural so by the time we started season three I asked if I could come on as a producer so that I would be able to make my voice heard.  He was delighted and I couldn’t be more grateful. I love Skeleton Crew so much and as a producer, I help to make decisions about casting, scripts and development of the characters.  Josh has the final say on everything because he has the showrunner but he loves to hear what those around him think and then he comes up with his big ideas.  I think of us like Kevin Smith and Scott Moiser creating a crewniverse that features a lot of familiar faces for our fan base but eclectic stories that have a little something for everyone.

Me: As you two have also collaborated on other series including The Art of Blowing It and Demon Doctor, what is the process for you two in creating these projects?
AMM: I always knew I wanted to create a comedy and I started developing The Art of Blowing It.  It's a mockumentary about fictional former child star Emmy Hart. She's a mix of Edina Monsoon, Lindsay Lohan and Lisa Bonet. The mockumentary follows a naive, closeted Canadian filmmaker Felix Ziegfeld (Josh) as he follows as her life falls apart. I am the writer and director of this bad bitch and even if I wasn't in it I would fucking love this show! (laughs) It's Pop culture, slapstick, and odd characters.  It's Schitt Creek meets The Office and The Comeback.

Now, after 4 years of Skeleton Crew Josh developed a couple of new shows and pitched them to myself and the production team. Demon Doctor‘s scripts were so yummy to read and I would message Josh being like what the fuck is happening. And he would answer all his questions and we will just talk about it. And then we filmed it and it was amazing. Plus, I got to work with Stuart Kiczek in front of the camera for a change of pace and I adored our bond as Genevieve and Barth.

So basically we write our shows and then ask each other for notes and tweak till filming then that's when the magic happens.


Me: How did the concept for Demon Doctor come together like a cross between The X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Me: Oh that’s all Josh he loves the dynamic of Scully and Mulder. And he tried to put that into Mark and Derek.  And as for Buffy, Josh just really loves Buffy. (laughs)

Me: How would you describe your character, Genevieve, on the show? How different is she from the characters you’ve played in the past?
AMM: Genevieve is an ancient sorceress who loves power. It's the ultimate currency. That and beauty. So these are things she works to maintain. She’s also very animalistic and I adore that about her. She can be annoyed one minute, then see pain and be turned on. She's such a rich character for me to play.

I’ve also played Piper Zogrofos on Skeleton Crew for the past 4 years.  Now Piper is an NRA carrying conservative with some mental issues. She's a bit of a nightmare but somehow likable.

Me: When you’re not involved with these various projects, what else do you have going on to fuel your creative output?
AMM: Standup, Writing, and Karaoke once a week. I’m also in the development of my podcast that’s coming out in May called Eff your Fears. Plus, I have an incredible band that plays covers of Adele, Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga. I am so grateful to work with the likes of  Tina Lama, Kevin B Clark, Yoonmi Choi and Nick Impionbato. But my real blessing is my co-singer Jessica Stark. She’s soul sister on stage.

Follow us on the gram.
@effourfearspodcast
@theevergreenexperience
@demondoctor
@theartofblowingit
@nowstarringashley

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
AMM: All I can say is Women are Magical. We create so much in this world. We create over half the population but less than half the stories out there. So, if you want to write then join writing circles and get your pages read by actors.  If you love to act then do it.  Choose a monologue you love and workshop it like it's your job.  There are so many ways these days.  Get outside yourself and collaborate with people.   Join all the casting sites and educate yourself about the business.  Figure out what you wanna play and if no one is casting you then cast yourself. I worked with Misha Calvert a couple of times this year and she taught me so much about showrunning. Find a mentor.  I have a few and they know who they are.  Life is short so create the one you want.

Thank you so much for having me this was so much fun it was truly an honor.

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebration. Click the banner below to see all the reviews and interviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments