WIHM Special - Angie Faro


A true multi-talented industry professional capable of performing almost anything on-set, Angie Faro is a capable performer in front of and behind the camera with a multitude of roles for nearly everything imaginable. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early days in the business creating short films, her feature film work and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, how did you get into the genre?
Angie Faro: Ever since I was a very little girl I have been naturally drawn to everything to do with the horror genre. Early on I became a huge fan of Stephen King films and I’ve read most of his books, he is an absolute master of horror. I watched the Psycho films when I was a kid and loved those so much. Nightmare on Elm Street films were also a staple in my horror movie watching selections, I always say that Robert Englund is the man of my nightmares. My grandmother use to watch things like Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Tales From The Darkside among others and when I would spend the night she and I would stay up watching scary shows and movies, that was our bonding time and was very special to me.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
AF: Yes I was absolutely always into them. I loved the blood and gore, I loved to get all scared and then I could barely go to sleep but I couldn’t get enough of it. Psycho IV was one that was especially a favorite from a very young age and Pet Semetary and Nightmare on Elm Street. I still to this day love those films and could never get tired of watching them. I hope to make films that could make others feel that way about them.

Me: When did you get the urge to go into the filmmaking industry?
AF: Well I knew I wanted to be an actress since I was maybe five or six years old and so I took drama and did plays and musicals in school and then in my early twenties I took acting classes and got an agent but then didn’t fully pursue it because I was raising my son doing the mom thing so I was busy and had to make a steady paycheck. I acted in my first film in 2006 and then I didn’t do another film until 2012, that was my first horror film, ‘Affliction’ by Familiar Features, and I had such a blast and loved how it turned out! That same year I also started doing makeup artistry and worked as FX makeup and hairstylist in films and since 2012 I have steadily been working in the industry. I began producing and directing in 2015 and haven’t looked back since. I now do everything from acting, writing, directing, producing, editing, makeup, musical scoring and you name it. I run my own production company Rogue Raven Productions and have many projects I’m working on now in various stages of production and many more to come!

Me: With you doing work in various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
AF: I would have to say that I love acting and directing the most. Acting was always my first passion and is what got me into the industry in the first place. If it weren’t for wanting to be an actress I doubt I would have ever known I’d be interested in all the rest, so I’m sure glad I figured it out, it all really feels like my true calling in life and I plan to continue forever!

Me: While performing anything on set, does it challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once on a project? How do you balance those priorities during a shoot?
AF: Of course it can definitely be a challenge wearing so many hats sometimes doing all I mentioned above and more on any given project and I don’t know that I can even explain how I balance it all, I just love what I do so much that I make it work because I feel I must.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills did you acquire working on those that transferred to feature-film projects?
AF: Oh man, I am so thankful that I started out making lots of short films. It’s a great way to get experience and learn what to do and what not to do. I learned so many skills working on short films that help me to this day on features and web/TV series projects. It’s a lot less overwhelming learning things on short films and made me feel equipped and ready to start doing full-length projects. All the things I do on full-length projects now I first learned on short films.

Me: What was the inspiration to finally try directing with the short Shot in the Dark?
AF: Actually the first film I directed was a short film called ‘Where’s Jan?’ that we decided we wanted to rewrite and reshoot but then it got set aside when so many other projects came my way. At that time I just really wanted to give it a try and see what to expect so it was just me, Larry Hawkins and Shawna Millard that worked on that one. One day we will redo it and release it, I love the concept. As for Shot in the Dark, I did that one as part of a workshop and Film Festival, the Forge Flashpoint 3 Festival by Blue Forge Films and at that workshop we wrote and cast and shot the film at one location in just about three hours, two hours to write and cast and one hour to get everyone ready and shoot. It was a lot of fun and I learned so much. It also led to me directing my series ‘Althea’ because Blue Forge are the executive producers and requested that I direct the series based off of seeing me direct ‘Shot in the Dark.’


Me: Did the experience encourage you to continue trying more directing efforts in the future? What were the shoots like for those?
AF: Like I mentioned above, yes it definitely did and showed that I had a good natural knack for directing and made me realize how much I enjoy directing too. Then when I made my series ‘Althea’ and jumped into directing a full-length project (four episodes that are about forty minutes per episode) it was definitely different than directing a short film, so much more continuity stuff to deal with for instance and a lot more costuming, makeup, props, etc...but if I hadn’t already had experience directing and producing the short films I would have been so overwhelmed it might have been difficult to even make the series at all. Thankfully it all went great, I mean there are always hiccups to deal with here and there but all in all, it went really well.

Me: You've also started a production company, Rogue Raven Productions. What was the inspiration to start it?
AF: Well I just knew I wanted to make my own content and to be more in charge of what I was creating. I had specific people I wanted to cast and knew if I produced and directed myself I could cast who I wanted. Casting is actually something I enjoy as much as acting and directing and offering the roles to people is the best part, it always makes the actors so happy and that makes me feel good to be able to do that. Once an actor friend of mine called me a dream maker when I was talking about how much I love that part of filmmaking and that was pretty much the best compliment ever! I love seeing other people happy and following their dreams. I think everyone should follow their dreams and the world would be a better much happier place.

Me: What is the overall goal of the company?
AF: The goal is to continue making films and series and music videos and you name it and get to the point of being able to make a living at filmmaking. Not only that though but also to be able to help others make a living by working on my projects as well. I also aim to make films that promote equality and diversity and that helps make positive changes in the world. I aim to inspire others and to encourage them to follow their dreams just like I am doing.

Me: Most recently, you directed the feature film Park Dead the Awakening. What can you tell us about that one?
AF: Ah yes, ‘Park Dead’! I love this project oh so very much. It’s very special to me as it is my first feature film and I upgraded all of my equipment for this film and brought more fantastic people on to my production team including Alexi Angelino, my sister from another mister who has become the most amazing ‘film partner in crime’ (and friend!) I could have ever hoped for. She has encouraged me to be the best filmmaker I can be and she inspires me and amazes me all the time. I’m so thankful and blessed to have her join me on my filmmaking journey! I’ve also worked with many phenomenal new actors on this project who I hope to work with again and again on future projects. And of course Park Dead is a horror feature, it’s going to be pretty campy, very funny, and of course super spooky. Horror fans will be extremely excited to see Jason Brooks reprise his role of Louis Carlisle that many are familiar with from when he played the same crass and hilarious character in Friday the 13th Vengeance.

Me: Is there a projected schedule for the film's release?
AF: I had initially been hoping to have it sooner but scheduling a cast of somewhere around sixty (or maybe even seventy now) can be more difficult than one may realize. This along with dreadful weather has pushed things out a bit so I’m going to aim for getting it completed and ready for the festival circuit by the end of 2020. However, I want it to be as perfect as can be so I don’t want to rush it either. It won’t be any good to anyone who worked on it if I don’t take the time needed to make it as wonderful as I know it can be.

Me: What are you working on in the future that you'd like to share with our readers?
AF: In the future, we actually already have two more ‘Park Dead’ features to make a complete epic horror trilogy. We also have a web series ‘Alchemy Academy’ a campy comedy that takes place in a school of wizardry and witchcraft, then a TV series ‘Midnight at the Diner’ a modern comedy with some retro vibes. There are multiple others already in the works that haven’t been announced yet and others that have but are still in Pre-Production. Basically, I’m never going to stop working!

Me: Lastly, if it that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
AF: I would love to say to the aspiring women filmmakers, our future women filmmakers; you can do anything you set your mind to! People will try to discourage you and try to tell you that you can’t do this or that. Don’t listen to them. Don’t even worry about them. Just put in the work that needs to be done and show them you CAN do whatever it is you set out to do! People may even try to derail you, do not get caught up in worrying about that either. Just focus on doing your personal best work. Be inspired by others' work but don’t compare yourself or feel down on yourself because you aren’t at that level yet. Just keep working to get to that level and with motivation, dedication, and determination you can do it!

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our interviews and reviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments